HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Bump to let any of the newer members to respond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Mid-20s, calm, preferably sunny. If the temp drops out of the 40s, I go with a cob. But my fave times are cool, clear evenings in Spring and Fall just as the stars are coming out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Well, that would depend on how long I've gone without a smoke because I don't smoke in the house. But I've been out when it was 27 and a 13 mile hour wind. Yep, a real quick one sir.

I smoke outside of my own choosing because I don't like the smell in the house after awhile. The next day it always smells dirty and funky. Besides the smoke residue gets all over everything in time.

This totally. Sometimes in one of the barns though. The threshold would most likely be around minus 10 degrees or so. Makes for a nice cool smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hitsuzen

Registration date : 2015-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:44 pm

I smoke outside also, and live in the northern Illinois stateline area, so I have no bottom line temperature for smoking. At the 20 mark, I leave the briars inside and break out a cob (cheaper to replace), and if it's too cold to enjoy it, I stay inside and enjoy a pinch of snuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Can't smoke indoors, here. My wife is allergic and the first whiff of smoke---her asthma kicks in. I have sat out in the garage (no insulation) with a small heater in front of me at 20 degrees. I can sit on the porch at 40...for awhile. At 45 I can stay out as long as I want. Upper 30's on the porch is probably my limit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Pipe in the house is fine. Cigars and I'm banished..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:42 pm

I smoke in the house, but I have been out with the snow blower at -5 F while smoking a pipe. I have pictures somewhere of my father smoking while shoveling snow in Maine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
I smoke in the house, but I have been out with the snow blower at -5 F while smoking a pipe. I have pictures somewhere of my father smoking while shoveling snow in Maine.

-5 sounds painful Padre. I clearly remember that while I was a cheesehead, and sometimes the temps could get to -20 or more! Didn't smoke a pipe back then though, but it was brutal. Don't miss that nonsense at all!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 pm

I smoke inside when the kids aren't around. But at work I've been out in -10, the pipe makes a nice hand warmer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old_salt

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:29 pm

I think today was a record for me, 25 F . set up my little nest in the
garage. Roll up door up about 4' a space heater set up in front of my chair.
A hoodie , gloves & an old blanket over my legs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:16 pm

If I am out in the cold, I am too active to smoke. To be comfortable and idle enough to smoke, maybe 50 degrees in the sun. In front of a nice campfire, then maybe 20, but not where I'm sitting (campfires in the snow with friends, bourbon and pipes are fine times).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:21 pm

My personal record, from living in a camper in the woods, is -17F. I could have smoked inside but there was wood to be chopped, or the indoor temperature would soon have been about -17.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:02 pm

As I get a bit older it seems the cold really gets into my bones so I'd have to say 40 degrees without any type of heating. But, now that I've got one of those fancy shamcy patio heaters on the porch I might be able to withstand a bit more, only time will tell. Wink

AND! Good to see you back and about George, we missed you! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:17 pm

I like it to be in the 40's up. The other night I smoked a long bowl in 35 degrees with a slight wind and about half way through I was heading for the garage. The wind made it feel a lot colder than it actually was. Bottom line, if I am thinking about the weather, I am probably not relaxing enough to enjoy my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 pm

May have to reconsider. Sat out on Fri at 32 degrees, sitting in the sun, and it was quite doable. Sat in the garage today with a kerosene heater, sort of working, at 28. It was fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, today I discovered that I can stay out at 18 degrees. Me and the cat with a book and a cup of joe, and of course a pipe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gonzo

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:14 am

Just saw this thread, I don't smoke inside my place either. As it gets colder I start going to smaller pipes, and half fills...then eventually decide to smoke only when I run errands and can do it in the warm truck. Been out in the driveway puffin' this year at about the 0 mark for temps. I will just have to continue the dream about a heated workshop I can smoke in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu

What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: