HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

BoB, the forum, culture and community

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I am new here so please feel free to put this where it belongs, I am at loss where it should go, I will do my best to congeal the different elements and make this place it's home.

As some of you know, I ended up smoking a pipe at my cigar shop one night at the insistence of a friend. That night I saw a youtube video by a member here who spoke very highly of this forum.

Next thing you know I am overwhelmed by the labyrinth that is the world of pipes, tobacco, and everything else. This was tough for me because when it comes to cigars, I am on the other side. I say that with humility, not arrogance. It took a commitment of time, money, patience, and a passion for something I love.

Anyway, as stated above, I was overwhelmed and wanted some feedback on a "starter kit" I saw online. Thankfully, puros_bran sent me a starter kit that included a lovely Peterson and some smashingly good tobaccos. Not only was the pipe a lovely choice with age, character and beauty, it's a great smoker. He obviously saw from my comments about what I like about cigars because all the tobacco he sent is right in my wheelhouse.

But what followed next is what prompted me to write this post.

The B&M shop I discovered is 1/2 pipes and 1/2 cigars. I mean, they do a TON of pipe business and have some very informed and welcoming clientele. ANYWAY, I don't know if puros sprinkled some magic dust on pipe or tobacco or the BoB are that generous on here and in the real world.

The other day a guy scored a large amount of tins of SQUADRON LEADER. I asked where he got them so I could get some since I know they are hard to find and he flipped me one. I ONLY accepted it if he would take a Cuban in return. HANDSHAKE.

I ask a guy to borrow a his tamper yesterday and he say, "keep it, I got a ton." Then the owner comes down and hands out plastic pipe stands to everyone yesterday and hands me one too. "WElcome to the family" he says. You see, I just moved from Cleveland, OH to Evansville, IN and have been to this shop only a handful of times. I was made to feel welcome and I bought two boxes to show my support and my appreciation for being welcomed but this goes way beyond being treated like a big spender, which I am not, btw.

Then a guy who I flipped a couple cigars to throws me a cigar lighter yesterday!

Because of the generosity of deed and spirit of this board and culture, I have the starter kit of starter kits, including great and HTF tobacco, accessories, and a warm place to hang my hat!

Most importantly, and maybe this is it or when we see like-minded people we respond accordingly, I am here for the long-term. I am enjoying the ritual, the experience itself and the camaraderie immensely.

I have a long way to go but that is ok. I know where to go for info and nice people who welcome my questions.

You can say this has some malarkey about smokers being unfairly targeted and us sticking together and i believe this is a part of it, bot ONLY a small part. Most of the people I have met who smoke cigars and now pipes know and see the value in relaxing and enjoying life, whether in solitude or with friends, or a friend to be.

For all the aforementioned things, I am grateful.

Oh, two more things.

1) Thank you so much

2) STOP IT! I'm Greek and all I want to do is have everybody over for dinner or give back what I have received, but I got nuttin yet, so I respectfully cry UNCLE! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 pm

There's certain bars I go to, hang out with friends, have a drink, and there's some that simply treat you better. Suddenly you start tipping more. Suddenly you get a few drinks on the house. You converse more, you get to know some more regulars, drinks are bought for folks, you buy a few back...

...it's the same thing, but in my opinion, even better with pipes. Anyone can buy some poor schlep a drink, but often new guys are not welcomed so warmly, usually they're just kind of ignored until they "step up to the plate" and get used to the ebb and flow of the scenery. With piping folk, there's usually no keeping score or notes on anyone, conduct and participation are key, and it's all unwritten, self-managing. Even the natural few "bad apples" never seem to spoil the bunch.

With pipes especially, I'm not sure what and why it is, but the camaraderie is unlike anything I've known, unless you're part of a lodge, fraternity or something. Anyone is welcome, all kinds make up the ranks, the experienced are giving with both knowledge, product and wares, and suddenly a whole new realm is built.

I don't honestly know why this is (and I'm certainly not complaining!). Perhaps the dwindling of pipe smoking over the decades since its heyday has thinned out the fads, utilitarian users, socially-acceptable expectations and made this new breed of pipe'ster, one that harkens back to the dads and grandfathers of the past, who were always willing to help, teach and support when necessary. Or it's something that was always done, and in a world where it's expected to be "all about me" and the selfishness therein, this culture sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure.

Regardless, here we are! Glad to be a part of it myself, and I only have a few months under my belt. I feel like I've been here forever. Cool

To the journey, with friends. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Great post. Welcome to the brotherhood! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Glad to be a part of it myself, and I only have a few months under my belt. I feel like I've been here forever. Cool

To the journey, with friends. cheers

Here here! *raises his pipe*
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't think that pipe smoking appeals to the "ME! NOW!!!" crowd as much. Dunno why. That's more a cigarrete and especially cigar trait! Razz (no offense to our crossover smoking brothers).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:04 am

MisterE. You may find this hard to believe but I'm a crossover and the OP is a crossover. Lol.

I love BoB. Been here since it has existed. The Knox board before that.
By and large pipe guys are great, but the cigar world also has more than its share also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 am

Excellent post, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 am

puros_bran wrote:
MisterE. You may find this hard to believe but I'm a crossover and the OP is a crossover. Lol.

tongue tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 am

And I didn't say cross dresser. Even though satin panties make me feel sexy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 am

Gross. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 am

puros_bran wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure undergarments do not count as cross-dressing... but for the sake of your manly reputation, PB, the satin panties can be our little secret
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 am

Better than going commando in pink bike shorts...for the rest of us, anyway. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 am

s.ireland wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure undergarments do not count as cross-dressing...

Pheeeeew! I mean....I just..... I mean only once in a while....... um...... forget it. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 am

puros_bran wrote:
NTTAWWT, but TMI! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:27 am

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Awesome post and subject...gonna second John's point above and state that something I really enjoy is the International aspect of pipes and pipe smoking.

Tobacco's from the US, Germany, UK, Denmark
Pipes from all these places as well as Turkey
Pipes SMOKERS from the world over...

It's been infinitely more interesting than cigar smoking, IMHO....cigars seem to be "finding the ones you like" then smoking them with someone who enjoys them also...a pipe is much more interactive and to me, therefore, more interesting as are the folks that enjoy them!

I think LOTS of people can be cigar lovers but not everyone is cut out to enjoy a pipe...that's a difference right there....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I consider myself to be both a cigar and pipe smoker and both obsessions come and go in spurts with one taking a slight backseat to the other. However, the pipe community is the one that I resonate with the most. I tried getting onto the Brothers of the Leaf (BotL) forum and it just didn't feel right for me.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm

MisterE wrote:
s.ireland wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure undergarments do not count as cross-dressing...

Pheeeeew! I mean....I just..... I mean only once in a while....... um...... forget it. Embarassed

YOU HAD TO SEE THIS COMING,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: BoB, the forum, culture and community   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Good one Mark!

Here's the luberjack on a night out at the cigar bar with the boys....

Back to top Go down
View user profile

BoB, the forum, culture and community
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1