HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How Beauty Feels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: How Beauty Feels   Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm unsure if my emotional reaction to a thing, in this case pipes, forms my evaluation of them; sure, we find beauty in what we subjectively find beautiful, but when I first began to try to appreciate pipes, the scorecard provided by commentators was very important to me, telling me why I should like the pipe. Those we commented on the masculine shaping of a bowl, let's say, or on the line that was created by it, its extension by the shank and finally the stem, taught me a way of looking at pipes. So now when I look at them I use the criteria that I learned from them. I don't solely evaluate a pipe by what they said, but I do use them. Doing so is an exercise of the mind, like evaluating art based on an artistic education.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I agree with you, in part. Knowledge is a major player. Even though those words are not said in this video, it is clear to me that this is part of his argument. When he shows the young girl's drawing and then provided us with information about it, our perceptions change because of the information we received. When he described how beautiful that motorcycle was to him towards the end of the video, most of what he found beautiful about the motorcycle was due to knowledge that he had about the motorcycle. I found the motorcycle to be attractive but bulky until he provided enough information for me to have an appreciation of the object he described.

Knowledge allows us to analyze, understand, and justify our emotional responses to beauty. Even though this is true, we each have different emotional responses to beauty on an object by object basis. This is why Mr. Seymour alliterates that making something that everyone can perceive as beautiful is so difficult. For example: I think it's fair to say that a good number of folks on this forum have excellent knowledge concerning pipes, but each of us have clear feelings about what makes a pipe beautiful. One might find Savinelli pipes to be the epitome of pipe artistry while another might find the work of Rad Davis to consistently be the most beautiful on the planet. Joshoowah has recently discovered that the June Bug by Radice speaks to him. He connects with that shape, just as TheFoolish has found true beauty in the Peace/Di Piazza Rubens Rhodesians by the same maker. I think that both of those pipes are lovely and well executed, but my emotional response to them is not as profound. However, I can appreciate the beauty of both shapes because of the knowledge that I have concerning pipes and Radice specifically.

In short, our knowledge enables us to appreciate beauty to a much fuller extent, but our emotional reactions are what initially inform us that something is beautiful. Why else would we all have been drawn to pipes in the first place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. To my eye, masculine shaping is paramount. A pipe is the extension of masculinity and the expression of a man's pleasure. Sure now and then a woman will smoke a pipe, however, not with the "talent" of a man's draw and cadence, nor with the strength of his hand. A man's pipe goes equally well with his grey flannel suit or his work jeans and the aroma of latakia on his beard and stache are the true glory of his manhood. A man's pipe should be as testosterone laden as his nuts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:00 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:42 am

LIPIPE wrote:
A man's pipe should be as testosterone laden as his nuts.
Laughing Damn! I thought this bulldog tasted funny!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 am

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I may believe to be beautiful to another may be ghastly.
No one has ever told me what to look for as beauty in anything and will NOT, I pick my own with my eyes, or ears, or even touch. Pipes are a work of art and I see them as this. I don't look for anything special in its design, my brain tells me what my eye's see and lets me know if its beauty or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 am

Interesting video. The engraved part of the watch is also something I can appreciate.

In the pipe world, some makers just grab my heart strings. A Brian Ruthenberg bent billiard is one. He makes these occasionally, and just listed on this morning. As soon as I saw the first picture, I loved that pipe. Now mind you, I've never held a Ruthenberg pipe and of course never smoked one. Fortunately, the pipe he listed today was immediately sold (to a member here!). Brians other style pipes are nice, but none grab me like his blasted bent billiards. I've been tempted to hit the "buy" button on more than one occasion, but wonder - will it live up to my expectation in person and smoke as well? So far, I've resisted. I've even contacted other Rutenberg owners, to find out how much they enjoy their pipes. All love them of course. But, still I worry spending that kind of money, will it live up to the hype I've bestowed on it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How Beauty Feels   Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:48 am

That's one of the reasons I very seldom buy a new pipe. That and I'm not as well off as some to afford such a price and let's face it, most of my pipes don't even get smoked. I'm a collector first, smoker second.
The most I've ever spent on a pipe was $103 and that'll be the most I most likely will ever unless something really thrills my soul and I have it at the time to spend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

How Beauty Feels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1