HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Being that I'm hopelessly addicted, PAD Pipe Acquisition Disorder, I was wondering how much company I have. I don't mean buying one every other month or one a month. I mean you buy as many as you can possibly can and pay your bills prompt and in full.
Lets see a raise of hands.....................................One, twoooooo, nope just one. I was afraid of that. I reckon I'm alone. Yes, I also have Excessive Compulsive Disorder.
My bills are ALWAYS paid and on time if not early but, I just cant stop buying the dad burn things. Every extra cent I have goes towards pipes.
And eBay is the worse place for me considering they have over 10,000 pipes listed each day. And aggravating also because I can find at least 25 or more pipes a day that I want but, can only afford maybe 4 - 6 a month. I've tried just picking out the best of the lot and it never fails after I've purchased what I can afford out of them one pops up that's a rare one and I'm left with no money to buy it.
Does anyone have this problem or wants to admit it?

Please, don't tell me what I need to do to stop this madness of mine, I already know. I do what makes me happy as long as it doesn't effect the lives of others. So, I buy pipes and I even smoke some on occasion believe it or not.
So, It be nice to hear that I'm not alone but, I fear for the worst here.
Well, does anybody have a similar problem, like you cant stop buying woman's negligees or wearing them? NO No I havent come to that yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Hey man you know where I can get a fix Immmm jones'in here, Ive been on the sites and had no luck. Maybe I need to get to a pAAd meeting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

When I first got started I was OUT OF CONTROL. My collection went from 1 to 50 in the course of two years... and I was just out of college! At the end of that year, I'd spent enough time worrying about how I was going to pay rent and buy food that I managed to reel myself in. My PAD slowly decreased until, in 2011, I purchased the smallest number of pipes per year since I began: 3. Of course now I spend between $200 and $400 per pipe... so...

Once I managed to get control of my PAD, I had a lot of extra cash, so I thought I'd buy some tobacco to smoke in my pipes. Yes I'd been buying baccy along the way as well, but at this point I began to really get into buying the good stuff. Surprise surprise, I wound up with a terrible affliction called TAD. I've done much to reel this in over time and now I only go on splurges. I think I still spend about $100 a month on tobacco, whether it's tinned or in cigar form.

Between May and November of 2011, I managed to buy only $50 worth of tobacco and only 1 pipe, totaling only $250 in that time frame. I think in December alone, I spent close to $700 on pipes and tobacco. Maybe more.

Like I said, splurges. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

My PAD is perfectly under control. I don't have a problem; there is no problem. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
My PAD is perfectly under control. I don't have a problem; there is no problem. Cool

Kyle, I'm sure you don't, while you enable me you satisfy your own compulsiveness.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:24 pm

My vicarious enjoyment, enabling and encouraging is also not a problem. Cool Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I think I hear some one in denial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:46 pm

It's certainly an issue, it just isn't a problem: not denyin' a damn thing! Laughing

Hello, eBay... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Hes got it bad affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 am

What about CAD? In first year as a cigar smoker I spent $6000.00.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 am

PADisorder? Me? What?

Maybe we can start a Brothers of Briar support group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tgwilt

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 am

Since I took up pipe smoking in early November 2011, I have spent over $2000 in pipes and probably $500 in tobacco. Sigh. I tell myself every day "Don't buy anything!!!!".

Then the siren song of a nice pipe calls out to me and I'll drop money.

Then, of course, I'll need tobacco to put in said pipe. Having found a few brands that I really like, I'll buy a dozen 100 gram tins, label the box and store them.

So today I am stopping for a while. Really. No, I mean it. Whatdya mean you don't believe me? Oooh! Look - a new Tsuge!!! Shiney...

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 am

My wife says PAD and TAD are my version of retail therapy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:15 pm

PAD, to me, is telling yourself that you're not going to buy any more pipes because you already have enough--and then you go ahead and buy "just one more." I don't consider myself a collector, only a smoker, yet I have sitting in my rack a Castello and a Dunhill that I have never smoked, and several others that I rarely set fire to. What's up with that? I wonder what the psychological mechanism is. If I were a collector, I could semi-justify unending acquisitions, but speaking from what I consider a more pragmatic viewpoint, what the hell is going with my head? I know!--I'm going to become a COLLECTOR! Why didn't I think of this before?! cheers sunny jocolor pig Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Rich: Smoke the damn pipes and place your mind at ease. They will love your "warmth".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm

LIPIPE wrote:
Rich: Smoke the damn pipes and place your mind at ease. They will love your "warmth".

Ditto!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:39 pm

It's not even a pipe until you smoke out it. Up until that point it's just art. Don't deprive that wonderful briar of its hearts desire of one day becoming a pipe. Smoke them with a clear conscience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I am in denial and glad to admit the fact. LOL. It has become a lifestyle that I totally enjoy, I still buy pipes and tobaccos on a regular basis and after more than hundreds of pipes and hundreds of pounds of tobacco there's still something new to experience. disorder NOT. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Doc Watson I like you. I like to think of life as an adventure, and my pipes and tobacco is part of that trip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

docwatson wrote:
I am in denial and glad to admit the fact. LOL. It has become a lifestyle that I totally enjoy, I still buy pipes and tobaccos on a regular basis and after more than hundreds of pipes and hundreds of pounds of tobacco there's still something new to experience. disorder NOT. cheers

There's still time to add hundreds of more pipes and hundreds of more pounds of tobacco... Get to it!

As for me, I go through fits of PAD, TAD and CAD. And I always want more... I'll set one item in my sight, attain it, and then immediately fall in love with something else. I'm either buying, trading, selling, swapping, etc etc etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 am

Honestly, mine has been pretty out of control for the past 6 months. I've acquired some 50 pipes in that timeframe, yet managed to shed about 20 of them (from guilt probably). I instilled the policy of "Buy One, Sell One," which worked for a while. The only problem is, my taste of quality has increased. Thus, I went from BC's, Savinelli's, Chacom's, etc. to Ardor's, Teipen's, Caminetto's, and Radice's. All of which have their own price ranges. I keep telling myself it is only because I am still single. I will be wed soon enough and then I will not have the pleasure of buying what I want without consequence. Nevertheless, I believe after this next pipe comes in (Radice June Bug) that I will be done for quite a while. My goal is to buy no more than two pipes this whole year from here on out. Once school kicks back in, that should not be a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:33 am

And that's the story your sticking to?

Better not get married too soon, at least wait till your thirties.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:36 am

I do not! sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:46 am

After 12 years of marriage I have learned that when it comes to PAD it always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. It also helps if you can leave at the smoke shop for a couple of weeks til there broke in lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:03 am

Cigar2you wrote:
After 12 years of marriage I have learned that when it comes to PAD it always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. It also helps if you can leave at the smoke shop for a couple of weeks til there broke in lol

After hitting 20 years of marriage, asking forgiveness than permission isn't the only way. Learn your work address by heart and have stuff sent there then slowly incorporate into your visible collection. Worked for watches and now my pipes! cheers

I don't know about having a disorder, but I've purchased three pipes and a bunch of tobacco since joining this forum 30 days ago. Maybe it's this place!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next