HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:05 am

Nowadays I have so many my wife doesn't know if I've acquired a new one or not.
Of course unless shes there when the mail arrives and still she hasn't anything to say except a rolling of her eyes.
We never question ones purchases, we have our assigned bills to pay so to speak and whats left from each one of our monies is ours to spend as we see fit and that works out just fine for us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
plumbernater

avatar

Age : 58
Location : Huntsville Alabama
Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:12 am

Hey Mozjo its not a dissorder. its a influence problem. I get it from here too, I think some of the old timers here that had the PAD and TAD before the net, has gotten on their computers of today and spread a virus affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Nowadays I have so many my wife doesn't know if I've acquired a new one or not.
Of course unless shes there when the mail arrives and still she hasn't anything to say except a rolling of her eyes.
We never question ones purchases, we have our assigned bills to pay so to speak and whats left from each one of our monies is ours to spend as we see fit and that works out just fine for us.

That is the exact same system my wife and I have, and it has worked just fine for 42 years. She is very supportive of any of my interests and is apt to buy as many or more pipes for me than I do. I am indeed a very lucky man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:53 pm

+2 Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
And that's the story your sticking to?

Better not get married too soon, at least wait till your thirties.


She prefers a trip to England for our honeymoon and a house over my hobby Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:16 pm

docwatson wrote:
I am in denial and glad to admit the fact. LOL. It has become a lifestyle that I totally enjoy, I still buy pipes and tobaccos on a regular basis and after more than hundreds of pipes . . .

That's great to know, Doc! I've got about 40 pipes now so I won't start to be concerned about PAD until I catch up with you! That's over 60 more pipes I can buy! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm

joshoowah wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
And that's the story your sticking to?

Better not get married too soon, at least wait till your thirties.


She prefers a trip to England for our honeymoon and a house over my hobby Razz

She wants a house and a fun trip and would sacrifice your hobby for her wants? I dunno, buddy, sounds dangerous to me! Wink

I kid, I kid. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:
Cigar2you wrote:
After 12 years of marriage I have learned that when it comes to PAD it always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. It also helps if you can leave at the smoke shop for a couple of weeks til there broke in lol

After hitting 20 years of marriage, asking forgiveness than permission isn't the only way. Learn your work address by heart and have stuff sent there then slowly incorporate into your visible collection. Worked for watches and now my pipes! cheers

I'm not married yet, but I'm already getting into the habit of doing this. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Mozjo33

avatar

Age : 49
Location : Chantilly, Va
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:
Cigar2you wrote:
After 12 years of marriage I have learned that when it comes to PAD it always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. It also helps if you can leave at the smoke shop for a couple of weeks til there broke in lol

After hitting 20 years of marriage, asking forgiveness than permission isn't the only way. Learn your work address by heart and have stuff sent there then slowly incorporate into your visible collection. Worked for watches and now my pipes! cheers

I'm not married yet, but I'm already getting into the habit of doing this. Wink

I was wrong...she noticed my new Pete today! Need to think of a new plan! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

avatar

Age : 58
Location : Huntsville Alabama
Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Ive got, or I should say I use to have two carved pipes. One a man with a top hat and the other man with a engineer hat that are cool pipes. One blows smoke out his nose the other out his mouth. She took them from me and put them in her what not cabinet for display and said they are now hers. Go figure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Oops! Never mind.
Caught myself saying something when I should have kept my mouth shut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 am

Airborne wrote:
docwatson wrote:
I am in denial and glad to admit the fact. LOL. It has become a lifestyle that I totally enjoy, I still buy pipes and tobaccos on a regular basis and after more than hundreds of pipes . . .

That's great to know, Doc! I've got about 40 pipes now so I won't start to be concerned about PAD until I catch up with you! That's over 60 more pipes I can buy! cheers

Airborne,
Go for it my friend. You can never have too many pipes or too much tobacco. I once had an estate of over 500 pipes from one gentleman to liquidate. Still working on it!!! At the Sherlock Holmes pipe club we used to be a Club of Collectors and it was fantastic to see everyone's new acquisitions each month. I swear that some of the members never had less than a new pipe each week. Can't imagine the cost involved, but it was worth every penny to see the enjoyment those guys received with their new toys. Like they say, "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 am

=


Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Right now, I'm calling it IPad, as I've been concentrating on pipes with an Italian pedigree.
And there's no sign of stopping anytime soon... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Airborne said:
[/quote]I assume you picked out a couple pipes for yourself from that massive estate collection! What a treat!

Iím at the point now where Iím buying pipes less frequently, but Iím more picky. I look for pipes that are much different than the ones I have. Of, course, itís always good to have your better halfís approval and encouragement! When will this PAD end? Not anytime soon, I hope!
[/quote]

Yes, I was able to buy some of the pipes with the commission I earned selling the estate.

And I agree with you on being more selective and having a lot of diversity as to styles/shapes/makers. My collection is very eclectic with many different makers/shapes/sizes etc. That's a lot of the fun because over the years, my preferences have changed constantly. Variety is the spice of life they say.
Many collectors focus on one specific maker or style of pipe which is quite impressive when you see the same theme of pipes displayed at the pipe shows. I guess that's never been my quest and still isn't.

And you are correct, this PAD (in denial) has no end in sight. It's a lifestyle of collecting/smoking for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Right now, I'm calling it IPad, as I've been concentrating on pipes with an Italian pedigree.
And there's no sign of stopping anytime soon... cheers

Harlock,
I love the Nationality theme you have going. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 pm

docwatson wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Right now, I'm calling it IPad, as I've been concentrating on pipes with an Italian pedigree.
And there's no sign of stopping anytime soon... cheers

Harlock,
I love the Nationality theme you have going. lol!

Cheers, Doc! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Right now, I'm calling it IPad, as I've been concentrating on pipes with an Italian pedigree.
And there's no sign of stopping anytime soon... cheers

What do you watch on your iPad? The Markovichathon? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Right now, I'm calling it IPad, as I've been concentrating on pipes with an Italian pedigree.
And there's no sign of stopping anytime soon... cheers

What do you watch on your iPad? The Markovichathon? Laughing

Dude, I wish!
I'm too chicken to open any of those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 pm

I've said and written "I'm not getting another pipe for at least one year" more than several times in the past two months. Nonetheless, last week, looking at a nice James Upshall P-grade stay at a ridiculously low price, I hit the "bid" button and won. My dilemma is my rack/stands are completely full. In the past, like member Jooswah, I was using the buy one-sell one strategy". But, I'm too the point where I'm completely satisfied with each that I own and can't imagine selling any.......

There is only one solution, I need a bigger rack.....

At Boswell's yesterday, while discussing pipe and tobacco inventories, member Lestrout mentioned "pipes and tobacco are cheaper than therapy". So, I like to think that I'm actually saving money, how clever we are!

I'm going to remember the "ship to your office strategy" Mo! Happy wife = happy life for sure! Now, how to beat my wife home from work on Monday. Although I'm hoping the pipe gets delivered on Tuesday, when she is out of town! I'm betting, er hoping, that she'll never notice the slight increase in inventory...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 am

Maybe Cartaphilus's original question should have been "does anyone here NOT have PAD?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

avatar

Age : 49
Location : Chantilly, Va
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

riff raff wrote:
I'm going to remember the "ship to your office strategy" Mo! Happy wife = happy life for sure! Now, how to beat my wife home from work on Monday. Although I'm hoping the pipe gets delivered on Tuesday, when she is out of town! I'm betting, er hoping, that she'll never notice the slight increase in inventory...

I'm with ya Al. My biggest problem is that I don't have enough pipes that they all start looking the same to her. Shocked

I guess that means I'll have to keep buying pipes until she ignores them. cheers

Although, I am hopeful that my JSEC gets here this week. My wife is in NC this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Maybe Cartaphilus's original question should have been "does anyone here NOT have PAD?"

Not I! At least not yet...then again, I do suffer from TAD, which as its way of leading to PAD...gotta have enough pipes to accommodate all of those different tasty blends, right?



These forums, by the way, have done NOTHING to help stave of the disorder which I've so diligently managed to prevent! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

avatar

Age : 69
Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Slight correction is in order here. The topic should be PAD standing for Pipe Acquisition Disorder and not Pipe Addiction Disorder. I have the disorder. I am however under self control. When I feel myself losing control, I smoke a cigar. The love of a good stick and a dose of Heineken keeps me balanced. I tell myself that I don't have to clean a Partagas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?   Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
I'm going to remember the "ship to your office strategy" Mo! Happy wife = happy life for sure! Now, how to beat my wife home from work on Monday. Although I'm hoping the pipe gets delivered on Tuesday, when she is out of town! I'm betting, er hoping, that she'll never notice the slight increase in inventory...

I'm with ya Al. My biggest problem is that I don't have enough pipes that they all start looking the same to her. Shocked

I guess that means I'll have to keep buying pipes until she ignores them. cheers

Although, I am hopeful that my JSEC gets here this week. My wife is in NC this week.
We're not being dishonest, right? Just not completely sharing....

I beat her home and indeed my new Upshall was in the box. I did a mild refurb and will post some pix later. She'll never notice the new addition that snuck in, hopefully....
Good luck with your JSEC!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
How Many Here Have The Addiction PAD?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: