HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A boneheaded move on my part

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: A boneheaded move on my part   Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:48 pm

So, for New Years Eve I brought an arsenal of tobacco and pipes to my parents' house. I always share with my brother-in-law and my dad, so I brought a variety of clean pipes, etc. Well, stupid me forgot to completely zip the bag so I dropped four pipes, three heirloom and one new pipe. Luckily, my dad found my heirloom pipes right away, but no one found my poor La Rocca, straight billiar with a beautiful red, lucite stem. Needless to say, the pipe is toast. My dad thinks it's just the acrylic broken, but I have yet to see it first hand. My fear that the briar is broken, but I will know more when I see it this weekend.

Alas, a boneheaded move on my part.

Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A boneheaded move on my part   Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Well that sucks. Sad Sorry to hear about that, especially since the intentions were good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A boneheaded move on my part   Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Well at least it's unintentional!!

My boneheadedness borders on plain stupid sometimes. A while back I got the bright idea to put a different stem in an old Patent Dunhill I'd had for years. The original was so loose it fell out. Anyhow, I managed to get it in about half way, gave it one last twist and-SNAP- broke the shank. Yep, I felt pretty foolish after that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A boneheaded move on my part   Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Yikes! That really does suck, but like the other guys said, it was accidental. Hopefully the briar itself won't be cracked and you'll be able to replace that stem with few worries. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: A boneheaded move on my part   Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Got the pipe back from my parents, and I have to say it broke my heart. That beautiful rose, lucite bit, matched perfectly with a reddish stain, kaput! But, it can be repaired. So, I'm going to send it off, and have someone work on it. But I'm told it'll cost like $30. Does that sound right?

Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A boneheaded move on my part   Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:51 pm

MartinH wrote:
Got the pipe back from my parents, and I have to say it broke my heart. That beautiful rose, lucite bit, matched perfectly with a reddish stain, kaput! But, it can be repaired. So, I'm going to send it off, and have someone work on it. But I'm told it'll cost like $30. Does that sound right?

Martin

Are they making a replacement stem? That price sounds ok for a fancy lucite replacement. For a basic repair... I dunno. Some other brothers might know more than I about general repair costs.

Can you post pics of the damage?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com

A boneheaded move on my part
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1