HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smoking at Work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:10 pm

I've really never been a smoker, although prior to enjoying the pipe, I did smoke the occasional pipe. Even as a pipe smoker, until recently, I only enjoyed a pipe or two a week, with weeks in between smokes.

However, in the past week, I've taken to smoking a little on the way to work (it's only a 15 minute commute) and maybe 10-15 minutes at work when things get stressful and I need some time to myself.

However, since I'm not one of the cigarette smokers, and really don't seek out any company, I feel very awkward about doing this. My pipe has always been a very private thing to me, but now smoking at work, it's no longer private, but kind of a public thing. It almost feels like I'm "coming out of the pipe smokers closet." Does that even make sense? I work on a "tobacco free" college campus, and although most of the students seem to smoke in designated smoking areas, no one smokes pipes. Needless to say I have no interest in smoking with the students. I do see lots of staff smoking cigarettes, but am never out there to socialize.

Of course, I'd love nothing more than just staying in my office and enjoying a few puffs there, but since I work in a library that's not going to happen. Smile

So, I guess I wonder if anyone else has had this sort of experience. I guess I fear being judged, since I work with many people who pretty much shun tobacco use of all types. And there seems to be either a strong aversion, or strong acceptance of smoking, depending on who you speak with.

At any rate, I'm rambling now.

Does this make any sense?

Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Well, if you ask me, the "acceptance" issue is moot--I'm a shameless cur, and while not inconsiderate of others, I'm not too worried about what they "think." Non-smokers are usually curious, anti-smoke Nazis just wrinkle their nose and scoff (which is their way), cigarette smokers will be irritating and quiz you, sort of wrap you up in their "ranks" and attempt to make a new friend.

All of it is bothersome to me to a degree, with the exception of the anti-smokers (who usually avoid me). I don't usually want to field questions from non-smokers, and reminisce sentimentally about how their grandfather smoked a pipe, I don't want to engage in the twitchy, ciggyklatsch banter of the smokers (and have them ask me to "try a drag"), but I'm perfectly okay with the anti-smokers just going away.

So in a way, I do understand. My pipe is my own, my discovery, my hobby. It's entirely selfish when I engage in it. Unless it's other pipe smokers, I find it extremely hard to socialize with a pipe and get the purpose I seek from it. People require as much attention as my pipe smoking does, and one distracts from the other. Now, I can be generous in my questions, tobacco trading/sharing, pipe-giving, etc...but when it really comes down to it, people either get it, or they don't, and many don't. I end up feeling like a monkey at the zoo folks are fascinated with for five seconds and move on--except it's over, and over, and over....

I look at it like this: a man can give tips on sex, but it'd be awkward to have that same guy there asking about it while you're engaged in the act.

Fortunately, I work in a field where if I wanted to plop down my backpack, tools, paperwork and instruments, I could have a smoke. One of the advantages of having the outback of the Western US as my office. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I know what you mean. When I began in my early 20's I was extremely self conscious about being in public smoking a pipe. In most people's minds it's an "old man's thing" and a little eccentric for this day and age. I'm just gray enough now so I don't get noticed as much, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:44 pm

MisterE wrote:
In most people's minds it's an "old man's thing" and a little eccentric for this day and age.

Well, that's just the ticket, right there! Very Happy Or it used to be... now "hipster" kids are finding it fashionable to accessorize themselves with pipes and being quite obnoxious about it. Laughing Damn kids. *shakefist*

Funny enough, I popped a shot of some heavy English in one kid's pipe outside a bar and he tried taking a big drag on it (attempting to inhale, of course) trying to look the pinnacle of cool--which was cut short by his guttural coughing and eventually, vomiting. Cool Who's cool now, jerk? Me. Razz Cool *puff puff*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Smoking in public is a tad on the inconvenient side for me. Something I do only occasionally. I prefer to smoke inatentively while driving for obvious reasons so I smoke easy to light pipeshop blends in a basket pipe. My employer has gone totally tobacco free throughout the property so I'm a smokeless kind of guy all day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Working at a tobacconist's shop, smoking is encouraged (oh, my poor health [and wallet]!). That said, I couldn't care less what people think of me outside of work. If it makes me look funny (I look funny anyway), c'est la vie. I smoke cigars and a pipe because I enjoy them, not because they're an accessory to my wardrobe or a means of attracting attention to myself.

In fact, I shy away from what little attention it does draw. I too despise being lumped in with "smokers" - whether it's the anti-crowd villainizing me or the pack-a-day crowd trying to co-opt me as part of their club. But, I don't despise it enough to stop...

Like jlong, if I'm out doing "other things" I won't smoke anything that demands my attention. To me, that seems like a waste of special tobacco that could better be put to use when I have a chance to relax and focus on the leaf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:58 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm

First off, tres cool avatar, Airborne!

Historically I've been pretty private about smoking my pipe but I've become a lot more open about it. I used to be afraid of being judged, but now I wear my pipe proudly and if anyone wants to discourage me, I'm happy to have a conversation with them. You'd be amazed how quickly someone's opinion will turn when they're presented with real information instead of propaganda.

Now when the weather's nice, I like to walk the three miles to work with a pipe hanging from my lips and smoldering. So far nobody's bothered me in Chicago. I got stopped a lot when I was in Syracuse, but those were by and large pleasant exchanges.

I say join the cigarette smokers and start some curiosity, create some solidarity, and spread some information. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:22 pm

The only public place I smoke is my B&M's smokers lounge. But even there I smoke a cigar because it takes less concentration than the pipe and thus allows me to converse more readily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:44 pm

You yonger guys have to quite worrying about what other folks think. You will be misserable doing so and it gives every one else power over you. Enjoy your pipes whem you can, some times its hard to do with anti smoking rules every where. But enjoy when you can, dont worry what others think, because what does it matter any way. Enjoy king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Quote :
You yonger guys have to quite worrying about what other folks think.

There's this old saying and it's very true and something to keep in mind:

When you're 20, you worry about what people think about you.

When you're 40, you don't care what people think about you.

When you're 60, you realize nobody cared about you in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:11 pm

jlong wrote:
Quote :
You yonger guys have to quite worrying about what other folks think.

There's this old saying and it's very true and something to keep in mind:

When you're 20, you worry about what people think about you.

When you're 40, you don't care what people think about you.

When you're 60, you realize nobody cared about you in the first place.

I get the feeling that these three levels of understanding are at constant war within me. However, speaking from a 27 yr old's perspective, this adage holds.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

When you're as much of a natural weirdo as I am, you quit the self-consciousness business real early, or suffer everlasting torture. Laughing You know you've mastered it when you use it to your advantage rather than a handicap. Cool Especially when it's to torture others. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:22 pm

plumbernater wrote:
You yonger guys have to quite worrying about what other folks think. You will be misserable doing so and it gives every one else power over you. Enjoy your pipes whem you can, some times its hard to do with anti smoking rules every where. But enjoy when you can, dont worry what others think, because what does it matter any way. Enjoy king

Thanks for the tip, pops! Wink

All kidding aside, this is great wisdom that I hope all us young 'uns heed and work at every day. Plumbernater, if you know any tricks to fast tracking this process, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by UberHuberMan on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
szyzk

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
You know you've mastered it when you use it to your advantage rather than a handicap. Cool Especially when it's to torture others.

Haha, how true! There's nothing wrong with having a bit of personality. Too many people fall into the trap of looking/acting a certain way due to marketing, etc.

Folks, be weird!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 pm

szyzk wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
You know you've mastered it when you use it to your advantage rather than a handicap. Cool Especially when it's to torture others.

Haha, how true! There's nothing wrong with having a bit of personality. Too many people fall into the trap of looking/acting a certain way due to marketing, etc.

Folks, be weird!

They sho' is, ain't they? Razz
Back to top Go down
szyzk

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
They sho' is, ain't they? Razz

I wouldn't want it any other way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Being cool is not what you look like, Its a state of mind. You just have to get it in your mind that you dont care what others think as long as you can sleep at night knowing what you do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I have no social hangups about smoking in public, courteous of course, but if smoking is allowed I will do it. At work I stand outside the front door like the rest of the smokers and smoke my pipe. If I dont feel like the 5 minutes of chit chat it takes someone to smoke a cigarette, I will just sit in my truck.

On the other hand, I took my wife to lunch the other day, the weather was unseasonably warm as it was. Now I know with the cold winter weather the local brew pub closes service to the patio area. Being the considerate fellow I am, I ask the manage if I could order from the bar and take the food out to the patio to eat. I explained to him that I wanted to enjoy my burger and stout with a nice bowl of tobacco. The gentleman did one better and told me that if I wanted to eat outside he would send out a waitress. I was overjoyed, they turned the football game on for me, served my lunch and everything was great. However about 45 minutes into the experience other people thought we had a good idea and decided to join us on the patio, at which point the waitress had the audacity to come up to us and explain that they do not allow smoking on the patio til after 9 pm. I promptly explained to the sweet girl that the patio was closed, I had permission to eat drink and smoke here per her boss and that if anyone was complaining that she should explain to them that the patio was closed and that they should go inside to there climate control smoke free atmosphere. I was adamant that I would not be extinguishing my pipe to placate someone that chose to come into an area that was currently being smoked in. She spoke with the manager and we never heard from her again regarding this issue.

Sometimes you just have to stand up for what is right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 pm

plumbernater wrote:
Being cool is not what you look like, Its a state of mind. You just have to get it in your mind that you dont care what others think as long as you can sleep at night knowing what you do

A-freakin'-men to that. cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Dont you just love happy endings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Also in my opinion if you act like every one wants you to, by worrying what they think. It makes you another cow in the herd going to slaughter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

couldnt agree more plumbernater
Back to top Go down
View user profile
szyzk

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:10 pm

plumbernater wrote:
Also in my opinion if you act like every one wants you to, by worrying what they think. It makes you another cow in the herd going to slaughter.

Words of wisdom. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, buddy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Smoking at Work   Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19 pm

plumbernater wrote:

What, are you trying to get me to go vegan? Laughing (kidding) Razz Cows goin' to slaughter is a good thing, because I'm not a cow, after all... Twisted Evil Damn, a nice prime cut of ribeye sounds divine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Smoking at Work
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: