HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Nicotine and Tourettes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Nicotine and Tourettes   Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm

So, I guess I'll share this, but I don't want sympathy, I'm curious if any of you also have a positive medicinal side-effect of your pipe hobby. I have suffered from Tourette's all my fraggin' life, and let me tell you, there were many years of utter hell until I was diagnosed. In my mid-to-late twenties, I discovered the joy of the occasional cigar, and then eventually the pipe. The strange thing I noticed, was after a really robust cigar, or an entire bowl of pipe tobacco, I am always really buzzing from the nicotine, and extremely calm. I found out, through pure happenstance, that the nicotine in tobacco, lowers the "tics" and associated issues with Tourette's. I'll post an article later on. But, one reason why I like to smoke at work, is that it gives me a real sense of peace and serenity for many hours after even just 15 minutes of enjoying a bowl.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing from your pipe hobby?

Here is the article....

A quiet cure.
Source:
Men's Health (10544836); May95, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p108, 1/9p
Document Type:
Article
Subject Terms:
TOURETTE syndrome -- Treatment
NICOTINE -- Therapeutic use
Abstract:
Reports that people suffering from Tourette's syndrome, a disorder characterized by uncontrollable shakes, muscle tics and embarrassing vocal outbursts, may find relief through the use of nicotine patches. Results of a study reported in `The Lancet' in which nicotine skin patches applied to the arms of Tourette's patients reduced tics by 50 percent.
Full Text Word Count:
ISSN:
Accession Number:
Database:
Health Source - Consumer Edition
HTML Full Text
A QUIET CURE

Section: health bulletin
People who have Tourette's syndrome, a disorder characterized by uncontrollable shakes, muscle tics and embarrassing vocal outbursts, may find relief through the nicotine patches smokers use to help them give up cigarettes. British doctors writing in The Lancet report that nicotine skin patches applied to the arms of Tourette patients reduced tics by 50 percent. In a small study, they found that two 10-milligram patches applied over two days were effective for up to four weeks in nonsmoking patients. The doctors say the patches may work by desensitizing certain receptors in the brain that control Tourette's symptoms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Whoa. That's awesome! I've always experienced a sense of calm and well being as a direct result of smoking my pipe, but I would never have guessed that Nicotine had medicinal effects beyond a simple calming effect. I'm really glad to hear that your hobby can also be your medicine.

:looks around for ipipe: Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:35 pm

MartinH wrote:
SBut, one reason why I like to smoke at work, is that it gives me a real sense of peace and serenity for many hours after even just 15 minutes of enjoying a bowl.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing from your pipe hobby?

Aha. Now I know why you posted about your smoking at work. If it's something that really reduces the tics and "outbursts" (not sure how severe your case is, but I know a few guys who, when wound up, can get pretty loud)... then it's obviously good medicine. If you work in a library as I seem to remember you do, all the better. I can imagine "all eyes on you" if you're having a particularly bad episode. I'm glad to hear you found something to help.

Yeah well, I'm not sure what's wrong with me. People may laugh, as I have a pretty good sense of humor, but there's some form of off-chemistry in my head, likely attributed to Autism of some sort, mixed with some other anxieties, and who knows what (I find diagnoses for me to be rooted in a crutch more than helpful...). If you haven't noticed my fixation on BoB in such a short period of time, I'm like that with everything. I get little sleep. I have few friends (moreover, I socialize randomly, people like me, I just don't always like them) Laughing I get by extraordinary attention to detail and years of mastering and mimicry of those I see as "successful" in areas I am not. Essentially, I'm a walking photocopy of lots of people, personalities and techniques I've somehow boiled into a working model of adaptive humanity--for the most part. Go through some tough times, but don't we all?

Since I quit cigarette smoking, I had forgotten the calming effect nicotine has. Since I severely disliked the smell and "addictive" side of cigarettes. The pipe, as I have revisited it currently, has been quite inspiring. Though I don't go to it when I'm having problems (bad habit forming), it gives me something to look forward to, something to study, something to get happy and excited about, people to engage (as pipe'sters are VERY intelligent as a general rule, if in their own way), and ultimately, a nice puff giving me a sense of calm and focus.

I hate pills, I hate psychologists and I hate "methods." I have survived this damn long, no need to listen to perpetuated rhetoric from some doctor which is designed to keep me on the pills and in the chair--and him comfortably retiring. No sir, if a pipe shall be my focus, occasional medicine and my new friends my shrinks, well, that's worth it to me. Cool

I'm not surprised in the least your pipe helps you. Not in the least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Martin -- sorry for being late with this, You've raised a valuable point that deserves more consideration than it's gotten -- here or anywhere.

Tobacco profoundly affects the chemical basis of consciousness and personality. When the first smoking bans were done, for example, psychiatrists working with institutionalised mental patients filed lawsuits trying to stop it because (for one example) smoking cigarettes had such a decidedly helpful effect on schizophrenics' abilities to cope.

Spend enough time searching and ignoring the blatant propaganda that crowds out actual information, and there's a lot to be found on this. Tourette's & Altzheimer's included.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Yak wrote:
Martin -- sorry for being late with this, You've raised a valuable point that deserves more consideration than it's gotten -- here or anywhere.

Tobacco profoundly affects the chemical basis of consciousness and personality. When the first smoking bans were done, for example, psychiatrists working with institutionalised mental patients filed lawsuits trying to stop it because (for one example) smoking cigarettes had such a decidedly helpful effect on schizophrenics' abilities to cope.

Spend enough time searching and ignoring the blatant propaganda that crowds out actual information, and there's a lot to be found on this. Tourette's & Altzheimer's included.

What a Face

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I must have a severe case of tourettes. It takes gobs of nicotene keep me sane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Yak wrote:

What a Face

A Phsychyatrist told me once that 100% of schizophrenics he's treated have been smokers. They self medicate he said. Tourettes, Trichotillomania, Dermatillomania and other body focused obsessive disorders all seem to be different expressions of the same disease and nicotine does seem to have a calming effect. No BS that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I agree, after a good bowl of 5 Brothers or the Camel non-filter I'm always a lot calmer then without.
The buzz doesn't happen much anymore except if I go to bed without having a puff of either at least an hour before, then in the morning with my first I get a little buzz. But I use to get them all the time.
I reckon kinda like a drug, the more you take of it the less it does, so you end up taking more to get the same effects. (Although Nicotine is really a drug but, most don't refer to it as one)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I can tell you without reservation, that the tobacco, both the nicotine and I think the act of being still, calm my nerves. I used to meditate in the Buddhist tradition of Vipassana, and the pipe brings me a similar peace. Meditation, when I have time to do it, still brings the biggest long-term benefit, but the pipe certainly helps when work or live is stressing me out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Nicotine and Tourettes   Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:45 pm

The pipe helps perfect the Zen art of "doing nothing." Although, I'm cheating and doing something quite keen. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Nicotine and Tourettes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: