HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion   Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I plan to ship tobacco to a Canadian member. Any tips on how to get by the Canadian Customs draconian tobacco taxes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion   Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:06 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I plan to ship tobacco to a Canadian member. Any tips on how to get by the Canadian Customs draconian tobacco taxes?

I've never been able to get a package into Canada unscathed. Good luck.

I've gotten two to Europe without being taxed, but a third was stopped... I was cocky and added about $50 more in cigars than he expected, too, so he received a LARGE tax bill. Surprise!

I ended up paying the tax on them; I didn't see the point in sending a gift if the recipient has to pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion   Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Use a small, plain box. Like 8" square. Simple address label. Ship USPS First Class International. Then declare it correctly. With luck, the package will pass right through customs. The trick is to keep the package small and plain and use the postal service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion   Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 pm

dougc905 wrote:
Use a small, plain box. Like 8" square. Simple address label. Ship USPS First Class International. Then declare it correctly. With luck, the package will pass right through customs. The trick is to keep the package small and plain and use the postal service.

With luck you won't have a Postmaster who has incorrectly applied the PACT act!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Rusty

Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am

Interesting topic. I agree with Doug; it's about the best one can do.

From experience 1 in 3 slip though without assessment. That seems to increase to about 1 in 2, along with higher rates of erroneous assessment, under heavy traffic eg in the two months preceding Xmas. So they're hardly menacing pipe smokers. God help us if they ever outsource assessment to industry because nothing slips through with them; so do not send it with UPS or Fedex because that dooms the receiver to paying plus paying brokerage charges on top. But, once the assessment is correct, it's always more economical than buying locally in Canada. So it's a gift anyway. The difficult part concerns the expectations of the canuck receiving it. After buying online and then spending a week on BoB they may assume that they're Americans! Suspect

The 'pot' is further sweetened (or soured depending upon pov) depending upon the canuck's province. The Feds only collect the Prov. tob. taxes on the mail stream for five of the provinces so the residents of the five other provinces and all three territories get a much better deal! The Feds collect the Prov tob tax for BC, AB, MB, QC, & NB. Provincial tob taxes all have a much higher rate than the Fed excise tax so this is very significant. Why this odd roulette with province of residence? It's the lack of an agreement with some of the prov for the Feds to collect it. So what do the prov that do not have an agreement with the Feds expect? I think they see the tax as owing and expect the Canadian buyer to volunteer it. That happens with about the same frequency as kettles of water freezing on hot stove elements. The Fed documentation appended to the package does not warn the buyer about the issue so the poor canuck pipe smoker probably isn't aware of the situation anyway. So the Feds are actually releasing a package upon which not all taxes have been paid. But there is a record of the package and a 'paper trail' may come back to bite the ones who benefit from this. Of course it might also be that the Feds share this info with the prov with roughly the same frequency as the kettle freezing too. But beware because there is no statute of limitations on tobacco taxes.

The system is just complex enough that it's interesting to explore. pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Canadian Tobacco Tax Subversion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1