HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Churchwarden

Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 am

Around here in Wisconsin, I think only the Snowmen will be smoking pipes outside today ... santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:00 am

Hope they've got a good English to keep them warm!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 am

I kind of miss the shoveling and cold of Cream-City (a regional name for Milwaukee in the early 1900s when much of the downtown was built with Cream City Bricks, light tan in color). Down here in Arkieland, three flakes fall from the sky and they declare a state emergency and everyone races to WallMart to clean them out of bread, eggs, and toilet paper. People who have never eaten an omelet in their lives will load their carts with eggs, and I could never figure out why a 300 roll mega-box of toilet paper is proper preparation for being "snowed" in for a few days? Does a light dusting cause mass diarrhea? Do they carefully unroll them under their tires for traction to get out of the ditch they're slid into? It's still a mystery to me. Laughing

I recall two distinct, winter sounds from my years of living on the East side near UWM. I'd be warm and snuggled into the covers of my bed and outside you'd hear a: click-click-click-ruhr-er-er-er-er-tick-tick-tick, and then it would repeat several times. You only had to be half awake to know that it was really cold out, no one's car was going to start, so with a smug grin you could nestle back in for more sleep. The other sound was unique sound of a snow shovel scraping on the sidewalk, and then you know there had been a good snow fall, and you probably weren't getting out of your drive anyway, so you again snuggled back down into those warm covers.

So I'd just have a Lakefront Brewery IPA, load up the pipe, and relax for a bit.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Churchwarden

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Natch,

Whereabouts? Kenwood, Downer, Prospect, Farwell, Lake Drive?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Well Natch, I often wondered that too. One day the answer came to me.

With the Milk, Eggs, Bread, and TP - all they have to do is add syrup and they can make a week's supply of French Toast. The extra TP is for when they run out of napkins.

French Toast - it should be in everyone's snowed-in plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Churchwarden wrote:
Natch,

Whereabouts? Kenwood, Downer, Prospect, Farwell, Lake Drive?

About three blocks West of Downer, a few blocks south of campus. But that was back when the Coffee Trader had just opened on Downer, early 80s as I recall.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Quote :
Around here in Wisconsin, I think only the Snowmen will be smoking pipes outside today

I've lived in this state for twenty years and have never made into Uhles. What's his shop like? My local B&M carrys a good number of his baccys along with a few of his pipes. Perfection Plug Burley, White Shag, and Bishops Move are amongst favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm an old cheesehead and can relate to the references posted. Spent a fair bit of time on the east side.

Natch, you and I have very probably have crossed paths back then!

Neutral

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Churchwarden

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:39 am

jlong,

Uhle's has been a landmark in downtown Milwaukee since the 1930's. Their pipe tobacco blends have been around that long as well. The staff is as friendly and knowledgable as can be and the owner sits down in the lounge and smokes & talks with you like you've been friends forever. I've never found better pipe tobacco and I've gone to the best shops in London, Paris, New York, Chicago, etc. I hang out there on Wednesdays. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!   Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41 am

An odd winter here in Maryland for sure, a stark contrast to last year. This year, the only measurable snow fall was in October, the first in many decades for that month. Since then, nothing, not even any sleet. It has dropped into the mid-20's here, but that beats the teens. My boss bought a new snow-blower this year, he takes the credit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Only Snowmen Smoking Outside Today!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: