HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinH

MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project Empty
PostSubject: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:44 am

Here are images of my newest pipe project. Please ignore the copious amounts of yogurt stains on my laptop. It's my little boy's handywork.

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-010

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-011

This is the best shot of the grain that I have right now.
I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-012

So, my primary question is that I'm asking for some suggestions for the wood near the stem. I think the protrusion at the end is too large, and bulky. However, I'm conflicted in how I want to change it. I've been searching the web for freehands looking for inspiration, but have yet to find it. Smile I love for my pipes to be sitters, so it's something I generally plan into the design.

I really wanted this to be a more traditional freehand, in terms of it looking like a "danish freehand" with the triangular shaped bowl, but I lost control of that shape during the carving process. Right now it looks more like an "egg" to me, which doesn't really thrill me.

I'm at my limits in terms of taking any more wood away in the bowl area.

At any rate, suggestion are welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pipereviews.org
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 am

Martin to Martin: Man to man, Bro looks great to me. I'd certainly like to light my fire in your pipe. Keep up your good work. You have a bright future.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:04 am

Marty- Ha! Thanks, Bro! I'll let you guys know how she smokes, but this is a Mark Tinsky briar, and everyone of them smokes like heaven.

Smile

Back to top Go down
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:08 am

Marty: You just blew your cool. I knew it was a great looking pipe. If Tinsky missed this post who would ever think it was one of his. Enjoy it man. I'm jealous.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am

Oh, no, you misunderstood. The briar block is from Amsmokes.com - I bought the raw block and carved this. Smile

I guess I better be more clear about this sort of thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:28 am

Marty: Great clarification. Your future is intact. That "MartinH" pipe is a beauty. Mark Tinsky can just "eat his heart out". He has competition in the neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Good lookin' pipe! When I saw the first picture, I thought, "damn he did a good job copying that Boswell shape."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks Bros! Here are a few more shots of the pipe so far. When I get short of patience, I like to see what it might look like with stain. Unfortunately, I found several bad pits and two cracks in wood!!!!!!!! I had a little bit of "bleep, bleep, bleep" moment.

One pit was so bad, that I rusticated the back part of the bowl. Unfortunately, I'm out of black stain, so it's going to look strange until I can darken the rustication.

Here is where I am so far. I have to be honest, that this is the first pipe I've ever made that I feel turned out okay.

Smile

BTW: I am not photographer. Sad

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-014

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-013

There will be a few more images as I get them uploaded.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:51 pm

LIPIPE wrote:
Marty: Great clarification. Your future is intact. That "MartinH" pipe is a beauty. Mark Tinsky can just "eat his heart out". He has competition in the neighborhood.

Marty: thanks for the compliment, but I wish I knew how to make pipes look as gorgeous as Mark Tinsky. But, you made my day!

Last edited by MartinH on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm

A few more pics so you can see the grain better.

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-015

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-016

Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-017

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project 2012-018

Okay, I'll stop now.
Back to top Go down
LIPIPE

LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Only good advice there is......It's Miller time. Light up and have a christening.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:21 pm

So, the pipe is ready, the Squadron Leader and Nightcap is ready, my only question is...

...when can I expect that nice pipe to hit my mailbox? Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments. I need to re-sand, blacken the rustication and then re-stain, etc. etc. but I can't wait to light this one up!

Later Bros!

Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Here is a new attempt at the stain. I wasn't happy with the darkness of my first attempt. After sanding the thing lightly, I diluted the liquid stain a little with denatured alcohol. On this particular go around, I think I got a better handle on buffing the thing, as it turned out much shinier and the grain shows really well. There may still be some work to do on the shank of the stummel, as it's not 100% proportional and needs to be evened out. As I was buffing, I noticed a horrible dip in the shank, where my hand must have slipped. Smile

At any rate, I'm proud of this one, so I want to show it off. Smile

Flickr Slideshow
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

I like the in-depth photo gallery of the pipe.

I really like it.

As I said before, it has Nightcap and Squadron Leader all ready to go for when you decide to send it to me. Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I like the in-depth photo gallery of the pipe.

I really like it.

As I said before, it has Nightcap and Squadron Leader all ready to go for when you decide to send it to me. Laughing Cool

LOL! Buy me some briar and you can have it in fair trade! LOL!

My friendly B&M gave me some new baccy to try in this pipe, but now I can't remember the friggin name!!!! I'm such a doofus! I made the mistake of stopping by and then looking at some really nice Bjarlings, all priced at $85. Hmmmm..........
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project   I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:58 pm

MartinH wrote:

LOL! Buy me some briar and you can have it in fair trade! LOL!

I have two blank Tinsky kits still sitting on my "bench" (the ol' guitar case on the keyboard stand...)... perhaps when I carve something new, we should talk... Cool
Back to top Go down

I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: