HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 pm

I've thought for twelve hours or so what I wanted to contribute to this.

The original poster had a valid post, and said his bit, controversial or not.

There's very few places in the "real world" or on the Internet that are good places. I like coming here to talk about pipes, hang out with folks and relax. It isn't shallow but it's not overly complex, and it's informative without being convoluted and overly opinionated. It's friendly. I like that. Otherwise, there's a place called the Rubber Room, a big, accommodating space if I (or others) want (and choose) to get hackles raised, foster chaos, have a discussion and talk controversy. I like these few nice places, especially those with provisions like the Rubber Room in place, and when the social organization system, there for a good reason, gets ignored, I get pissy.

A member, plenty smart, one who knows the rules and here longer than I, gave into his own impulses and drives (whatever they may be), should have realized this wasn't the place to do this from the start.

If me, the younger, less-seasoned, perhaps even less intelligent member gets this, it can't be a hard concept to follow. I shouldn't even be pointing it out.

Yep, things happen, too late now, people got upset, things will undoubtedly (and should) be forgiven--and I don't blame innocent bystanders who got in the way, they got tricked into thinking this was a lightweight conversation because it was out of its proper place. I think it would be great to move this whole mess to the Rubber Room so it isn't a stain on my favorite digital hang out, one that I assure other non-members is a great place to be.

Just my voice, doing my part to "self moderate." Carry on, Brothers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:24 pm

There is a pipe forum on which, if you make a political or religious statement, you are banned. At the other extreme there is Bob whereon you can make any of these statements, even put forth elaborate arguments, and as long as you're civil, you're fine. At a midpoint is perhaps making soft statements. But who is to enforce what is a hard or soft, and by what standard? This would be impossible to regulate.

For all the dangers that Bob's policies allow the members, certainly I would think that the current policy is best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_Jeff

Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Go ahead and say Smokers Forums, everyone knows what a veiled reference to a draconian pipe forum means. Although I can understand current members there not wanting to draw the ire of "The Team." Everyone knows that they glean other forums to keep the masses in check.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 pm

I may just be truly wierd. But, for years, I've tried to imagine this place & the people here transported back in time to 1775, with everybody refusing to acknowledge the developments going down around them, and what they were shaping up to.

And I can't do it. It doesn't compute.

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : (Relative) coherence)
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Mr_Jeff wrote:
Go ahead and say Smokers Forums.

I was actually referring to pipes.org, where every single post had to be approved by Melvin. SF is cool, just a different flavor. FWIW, there are other places that operate with looser ground rules than this place, beleive it or not.

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I don't think there should be a free-for-all bullcrap fest in the main portion of BoB.

I don't think there should be a police-state enforcement of BoB.

I stand by what I said earlier. This thread was quickly approaching, if not crossing, the line, a line simply divided between the place where this belongs and everywhere else on the site, unless I really don't get it.

That's the real development I'm acknowledging, in 2012, here on this website.

If the horse is led to water, and he doesn't drink, throwing buckets in his face will not quench his thirst either. Believe me, I've been the "horse" here a few times, the bucket thrower, and I've both drank the rejected "water." Good times--when sought out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 pm

And I'm not moving it...

The best way to handle it if you think it makes us all look retarded, which it does, is to do like I said...
Wish Mike and his well, then let it go, ... it's not hard..

Here, let me show yall how...

'Hey Mike, I wish you and yours well, you are in my thoughts and prayers.. ' then shhhhhhhhhhhh. see easy.

No need to try to get the last word in, no need to try and prove the last vital point.. just shhhhhhhhhhhh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Time and a place for everything...

Guy comes in scared for his kid and we want to make it into some kinda bullshit post about right/wrong politics/religion etc

Knock it off and let it go...

Wish Mike and his family well and walk away from it..

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me. I don't even care if anyone thinks I'm an asshole..
Knock it off and pay an old friend that much respect.

Capo would kick all our asses for doing this in THIS thread.

AMEN to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:37 pm

PB: Not gentlemanly to just delete a man's reasonable post. I continue to be repulsed by this thread. It is in my estimation a mistake not to move or better delete this entire forum. Shushing rational messages and permitting irrational ones will cause intelligent men to reconsider further participation on BoB. I believe the majority of Brothers would agree with my sincere assessment here.
This is a disservice to our internet community. Airborne was offended. Simple Man deleted his posts, apparently he was offended. I too am offended. Those who serve in our military are to be commended. Those who have served deserve our everlasting appreciation. Those who now serve overseas have our best hope of returning safely. Everything else in this thread is trash. It belongs in the can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Not to sound like an ass to a man I consider a friend..

But I didn't ask you how to run the board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3