HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Packing Flake

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 pm

BF isn't really a true flake, its a broken flake. You'll have a tough time finding large enough chunks to fold and stuff. I'd rub this one out especially if its new to you. Also a word of caution. This is great blend, but it really doesn't come into its own until the tin has been open for week or two. Not sure why that is. Simple lettling it dry out for a few hours doesn't seem to help.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Thu May 17, 2012 11:58 am

Quote :
Call me a flake-stuffing neophyte, but I have taken flakes, rolled 'em into a small single, shaggy ball in the palms of my hand and loaded 'em up in to my flake pipes...provided it was loose enough (which is easy enough to control), I've gotten a great, solid smoke out of 'em this way. Haven't found a need for any ritual beyond this--and I've tried a few. While they all seem to work similarly, for the sake of brevity, I like the two-palms-ball method.

Quote :
Lately my favorite method has been cubing flakes when I have the time. I cut them crosswise the grain 1/8 to 1/4 inch strips which will break up into little cubes. I just gravity fill and go. No pressure necessary. It really seems loose at first, but when you light it, it expands nicely and fills out the bowl.

Best of Both Worlds : Cut a smallish square, abuse it into a tobacco brillo pad, and seat it in the bowl far enough up that the bottom is clear. Draw through it should be free. Then cut your little cubicles (LOL !) and gravity feed.

If you want fireworks of taste, put it in a food processor and whiz it into little particles. Gravity feed only and next to no tamping.

Flake Pipe : one with an inside diameter (bowl) small enough that you can smoke a folded flake in it with the smoldering part not just going down the center, but evenly accross. 13/16" or less.

Folded flakes last the longest. But the more air you get involved (as above), the richer the flavor is.

As noted, every flake is different.

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Quote :
This is great blend, but it really doesn't come into its own until the tin has been open for week or two. Not sure why that is. Simply lettling it dry out for a few hours doesn't seem to help.

This !

A lot of tobaccos are like that. In other cases, the real magic is gone by 48 hours after cracking the tin. Oftentimes it does change, and change dramatically, over the first couple weeks.

Tobacco is female Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Yak wrote:

What a Face

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Yak wrote:

What a Face

Haha! cheers

So that's why I always have much more enjoyable smokes when I tell the tobacco how pretty it looks today while packing a bowl...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilD

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Tried some Peterson's Perfect Plug today. Sliced it, cubed it, gravity fed it into a small 1960's Stanwell apple. What a great smoke! I was a little hesitant to try this because of mixed reviews. But as someone here has said "Expecting the truth from the Internet is like expecting gourmet from a mouthful of live wasps." (Sorry about stealing your line Kyle).

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 am

"Expecting something to stay unique on the Internet is like expecting cinnamon rolls from a dog's rear."

Laughing

Use your 'bacca and sentiments well. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:30 am

I love Peterson's Three P's! I'm glad you found the experience enjoyable. For me, its a better tasting plug than Jack Knife. (Uh Oh, I hope thems aint fightin' words)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

De gustibus non disputandem Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

Yak wrote:
De gustibus non disputandem Cool

What a Face

I disagree, your opinion is wrong. cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
I love Peterson's Three P's! I'm glad you found the experience enjoyable. For me, its a better tasting plug than Jack Knife. (Uh Oh, I hope thems aint fightin' words)

You'll get no argument from me there. 3P's is pretty good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 pm

"Cube cut" flake is a good idea. A variation on the theme is to get one of those kitchen "choppers" used to chop up walnuts, onions, etc. It will have a glass bowll and a bladed gizmo that screws on top of it. The glass allows you to watch your work, and since it's manual, you can adjust how fine you want the cubes to be. Most of the time, you'll still have to rub it out a bit. It's debatable whther it might be easier just to rub it out in the first place. Results are pretty good, though. I once tried a little electric coffee grinder on flake, but it was hard to control the timing and easy to wind up with tobacco dust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

LOL!! Yeah, one of those things.

"Flake Pipe" = Whatever pipe you are using at any given point in time to smoke a flake-cut tobacco. Personally, I think "flake" should be limited to true flakes, not partially (usually mostly) rubbed out tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

MisterE wrote:
Lately my favorite method has been cubing flakes when I have the time. I cut them crosswise the grain 1/8 to 1/4 inch strips which will break up into little cubes. I just gravity fill and go. No pressure necessary. It really seems loose at first, but when you light it, it expands nicely and fills out the bowl.

Holy moly! Shocked I just tried this (with SG Balkan flake) and had probably the most pleasant, effortless smoke ever so far. Lovely thick, smooth mouthfuls of smoke. Felt a bit sorry to break the flake first ("Am I missing some essential part of flakeliness of a flake here?") but damn I can't WAIT to try this on the Irish Flake one the spoils of my recent TAD-attack arrive. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm

beetlejazz wrote:
Holy moly! Shocked I just tried this (with SG Balkan flake) and had probably the most pleasant, effortless smoke ever so far. Lovely thick, smooth mouthfuls of smoke. Felt a bit sorry to break the flake first ("Am I missing some essential part of flakeliness of a flake here?") but damn I can't WAIT to try this on the Irish Flake one the spoils of my recent TAD-attack arrive. Very Happy

Irish Flake is soooooo gooooood.... I'm gonna "cube" that one, too... watch out for the nic-hit. drunken drunken drunken

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Quote :
partially (usually mostly) rubbed out tobacco.

= "Broken Flake."

People like to shorten things though.

What a Face

cat cat cat cat cat cat cat
Back to top Go down
cds43

Registration date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:09 am

I have always folded and stuffed my flakes but I am going to try the cube method next and see how it goes. Hard to believe I can just gravity fill with no problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

I always find that with really fine tobacco I'll occasionally have the problem of the draft hole being blocked. Does this happen often when you cube cut? I've never tried it. Just seems when I'm finishing off a tin and smoking all the last bits and pieces, in half way through the smoke the perfect size chunk will lodge right in the hole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:47 pm

i.keenum wrote:
I always find that with really fine tobacco I'll occasionally have the problem of the draft hole being blocked. Does this happen often when you cube cut? I've never tried it. Just seems when I'm finishing off a tin and smoking all the last bits and pieces, in half way through the smoke the perfect size chunk will lodge right in the hole.

I haven't had a problem with cube cut blocking the draft hole. I don't cube them small enough for it to be a problem. I cube them to about 1/8" to 3/16" or so.

I really like how cube cut smokes. It's easy and I find I have less relights. Seems to smoke a little cooler for me as well.
When I'm bored I will sit down and cube cut an ounce or two at a time and put them in a 4 oz mason jar. So I don't feel it is a big time issue for each smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Since I now smoke only three Flake Va's , Blackwoods Flake and Fragrant Matured #2000 and Dunhill Flake I just rub them out completely and dry 'em out a bit before loading and lighting up. The first two are really broken flakes so cutting and cubbing or fold 'n stuff doesn't present itself as an option and the Dunhill works well for me this way as well. I just take a few "pinches" of them ( one or two solid flakes for the Dunhill) rub/crumble 'em up into a small saucer I use for this and let 'em dry a bit under the desk lamp on my desk. Usually 10 to 15 minutes under the lamp dries 'em out to what I like and whill they are drying, I usually "crumble/rub" 'em a bit more to where I am packing a ribbon sort of cut. Packed loose at the bottom, and a bit firmer on top, I get nice even burn, no bite and usually a consistent burn thru the bowl. I don't smoke uncut plugs so don't have to deall with that hastle ( I have and none I've smoked were what I wanted to continue to smoke) . This has worked for me for many years now so I'll probably continue on my merry way this way Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Ian, going for a cube-cut on the flakes (even plugs) is more for flavor than burn quality or performance for me. Although the two might be slightly intertwined, come to think of it, which is why there is a flavor change...

...in any case, on my end, the draw is nearly identical and I don't notice a difference in condensation or heat between rubbing out or cube cutting, cubing just exposes more sides of each tobacco cube a bit more. Consistency in taste, if that's what one is after, can be had with some cube cutting, but often the dynamics and certain subtle flavors can't stand up and say "hello" quite as easily (and in those cases (or act like small flavor surprises), so I'll rub out a flake to a "chunky ribbon").

Cubes have never given me obstruction problems. The times I do have any kind of obstruction problems, I lightly cover the top of the chamber with my finger/thumb, puff strongly out through the stem, and back in again, and it dislodges any errant bits (which if left in there, can cause some awful moisture problems due to disruption of the airway during a smoke). A pipe cleaner to sweep/push out any offending bits works okay, too.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm

i.keenum wrote:

If you are sucking a lot of cubes through the stem you might make a little "pillow" for the bottom of the bowl. Leave a 3/4 inch of the flake in tact after cutting the strips off, then ball that up and drop it in the bowl. If the 'bac is still fairly moist itīll expand a bit and you can just pour the cubes on top of it. It acts like a little screen/filter. I do this sometimes. Getting the airways clogged seems more problematic for me when the 'bac is dry. When it's moist it seems to hold together better.

I'm smoking some SG Navy Flake right now that I cubed up and it's not giving me any problems. It's at the factory moisture level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Packing Flake   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Yak told me about something similar to that, making a "brillo pad" or something of that nature at the bottom of the bowl. I hadn't thought of that for cubing flake; I don't have problems getting mouthfuls of tobacco cubes. Now, if I were to cube flake into a cob with its wider draft hole, this might be worth applying. I've been too reserved to dump cube-cut into a cob--hadn't put the two together. Until now.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Packing Flake
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: