HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

There's cake...then there's is CAKE!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
R.A.

R.A.

Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I grabbed these picks while pipe hunting, I've read that cake should be about the thickness of a dime, And why cake is good and the benefits. Well this is cake to the extreme level ! I know this is very excessive cake but someone somewhere was either on to something or what ?

This cake didn't happen by accident someone had to intentionally by neglect or design make this happen. Now if we go by the standard belief of dime think cake we say this is so wrong to allow cake this thick.

I have heard that having thick cake you are in danger of cracking a bowl and I have never gotten any cake build up thicker than a coat of paint. I over clean or under smoke regardless. I am curious if this excessive cake has some out of the box thinking, some non traditional benefit.

Obviously it did to someone, I most likely will never build cake to this degree I do wonder how it would smoke. Are there actual valid benefits? I can see its as one way to make a larger bowl more tobacco efficient, thick cake less room, Insulate from and disperse heat, Absorb excessive moisture,

I just thought I would share these pics of crazy thick cake, potentially someone hasn't seen such a thing and will be in disbelief. I see it and still find it perplexing. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Whoa! Yeah I've seen cake like that before. My Great Uncle who passed recently had cake like that in some of his pipes. I couldn't believe he could still smoke them that way! I reamed the hell out of them and must've dumped about a pound of cake out of each pipe. Sheezums!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

And I thought my Falcon was bad!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Holy Crap! Now that's Bad! affraid

OTOH, so much for the theory of too thick a cake expanding and cracking the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Wow.

Hey, on the plus side, save the "cake shavings" and dump it on an ailing houseplant or outdoor gardens in need of some soil-enriching. It's good stuff, actually. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Is that "dime diameter" thickness?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 pm

One of my Peterson estates from the UK had about 2 silver dollar thicknesses,,I bored it out too.
Even the Peterson system chamber was thick with a layer of some sort of cake, that I had to bore out.
Ive wondered why it was so thick myself,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stackle2

Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm

There are about a dozen antique malls where I live, & I've found pipes very much like the one in the picture, & of course shied away from purchasing them thinking them 'gross' or beyond repair. Well, I finally picked up a couple for a buck or two, & I have found that not only are they quite simple to restore, but they smoke better than some of my purchased new pipes. Definately got about a quarter ounce of carbon out of the little flake pipe that I recently refurbished though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calipuffer

Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Since I only smoke a pipe 3-4 times per week, and rotate 8 pipes (and sometimes a few cobs) I have yet to have any substantial cake on any pipes. It seems from other posts that a OTC burley like PA or GR is good for quick cake building. I'll have to focus one pipe and see about getting a pipe with cake, just to see what it is all about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Can you even get a tamper down that pipe? Holy moly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

WOW never seen cake build up like that before...that's a little excessive I would say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 pm

I can see being just lazy and not cleaning your pipe, ever. But, with that bowl so full of cake - you could barely get pinch in there to smoke. Doesn't it dawn on these folks that the pipe used to be good for a 45 minute smoke, now down to 5 minutes? Makes no sense to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar_Bear

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 am

I read in a few places that cake buildup like this would break the pipe! Was that wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: There's cake...then there's is CAKE!   Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 pm

THOSE HAVE GONE PAST THE DANGER POINT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

There's cake...then there's is CAKE!
Page 1 of 1