HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I need a little help on how forum page displays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Howdy, Very Happy

I feel a little incompetent here, but I cant figure this out.

Some threads will display extra wide, where I have to scroll the bottom bar over , to view the right hand side of a post/thread.

So, i was wondering , is there a way to "skinny" up my view of said pages?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

phpBB code that is structured in the forum has a default width of... well, I don't know. Whatever the default is. Laughing

When someone has added code, or more than likely, a picture, that causes the default display widths to be overridden, you'll see threads that will literally go beyond the standard screen resolution borders of most people's computer viewing apparatuses--which in that case, you'll get the "slide bars" to navigate the viewable area.

There's a few people whose pictures in signatures and possibly even their "side badge profiles" that appear under their avatar in each post that seem to be mucking with the default forum widths.

As for making a "standard size," I don't think you can do that via forum settings. I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Simple Man wrote:

I don't think my signature pic was doing that. I checked to make sure it would not, but I removed it just in case. Cool

Yours was fine, I didn't notice it altering the page. Cool I'm pretty sure you can use it. There might be even more complicated code so signature pictures cannot exceed the default width of the page.

phpBB is flexible, but very specific--in other words, kind of a pain in the ass, but solid. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Simple Man wrote:

OK, I'll probably put it back on then 'cause I like it. If it annoys anyone send me a pm and I'll be glad to delete it... Smile

On a personal note, I don't particularly like signature pictures, it kind of eats up host bandwidth and clutters up the forum (remember, all of us see it over, and over, and over... Razz )

...but on the other hand, I like that picture, too.

I always wondered why there wasn't code for putting pictures like that in the profile, so people could only see it if they visited your personal "corner of the forum."

The way I see it, if we were all sitting in a group, every time one of us has something to say, we'd hold up a picture of something we liked. Family, a car, a dog, something funny... once, might be nice, but... if we want to know more about a person, we go to their profile--then you can show off whatever you like.

There isn't any BoB-specific rules against it, so the choice is yours to make! I ain't no moderator, nor do I want to be one, just have experience in that field and (heaven forbid) type too much. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:17 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

On a personal note, I don't particularly like signature pictures, it kind of eats up host bandwidth and clutters up the forum (remember, all of us see it over, and over, and over... Razz )

This is priceless!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:47 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DustyRoundup

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Ok , Kyle, well that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Simple man,, dont you worry about that Battleship, I dont mind it , and the scrolling wasnt a huge problem with me, I just thought there was a way to configure page set up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Battleships are awesome. I got a chance to walk around a few in San Diego quite a few years back. Cool

Well, maybe in the future some magical forum wizard can make it so one can stuff their profile full of pictures so we can all kind of have our cake and eat it too. *shrug* I was on one forum where you could link photos from an outside source, similar to how we post pipe pictures, but in profiles, and it seemed to work great--I think there was a maximum of five.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Man! Now I want to see the battleship!

Kyle- you messed up his battleship! LOL

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah I've seen that before in your sigs, but didn't see it in any of your above posts!

LOL

lol!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Actually the poor battleship does expand the viewing parameters of the forum a tad... in case anyone was wondering or cared.

I don't.

I mean, it's a battleship. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

I mean, it's a battleship. Laughing

Cool

Exactly! LOL cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
DustyRoundup

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help on how forum page displays   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:40 pm

LMAO, I dont know why, maybe I needed a good laugh,, but this thread had me laughin.

Im still laughin as a matter of fact. Too funny !
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I need a little help on how forum page displays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1