HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 pm

scottbtdmb wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Its dominant taste is cigar-like, at least to me. Deep, smoky and austere, I think.

Any Lakeland soapiness?

Cheers,

RR

Definitely NO Lakeland soapiness. Just a mild topping that some say is anise/licorice, but I will contend that I taste mint chocolate.

-Scott

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
No soap.

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
What scott calls chocolate mint, others call anise, and still others will absolutely call a Lakeland thing. Is it a flavor? Or is it a scent? Read Gawith (both sides of the family) reviews over on the review site and the descriptions are all over the place. We should never say...this tastes like X or Y or whatever...rather we should be saying what I sense is the following...so saying there is definetely no Lakeland soapiness will almost certainly be argued by someone else that actually detects it either in the pouch or the product.

The most classic description of the Lakeland thing I ever saw (and it was very recently) was that it was just like the parfum that little old ladies that lived in nursing homes used to disguise the sour smell of stale urine. Lovely.

And your input has not gone lost on me either Dave. After all, you know my preferences better than most.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 pm

More like a chocolate liqueur, or maybe it's Ovaltine. Very light. But there have been several variations depending, we think, upon available blending leaf. Probably not Ovaltine.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:08 pm

I also wanted to mention that as I am working my way through 4 oz of bulk BF, I notice a slight difference between the bulk and the tin. I would have to say that I prefer the tin over the bulk. I can't quite describe the difference yet as I have only had 3-4 bowls of the bulk, but there is something lacking that I enjoyed from the tin. Maybe it's just me!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 am

Great posts on the nature of this stuff, guys, thanks. I'll get a tin of it eventually. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 am

This discussion is great! I haven't read such a nuanced review of a tobacco in the longest! Very well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 am

Ahhh. My second two tins came in today, total of one working tin and three in the hold. That should do it for me til the next frenzy.

Just picked up an odd lot of Solani Silver Flake...plus a tin on the way. Think I'll make that fine blend my next obsession. I'll be glad when Spring hits and I can start building on to my shop. That'll take my cabin fevered brain off the flakes. It'll also take all my discretionary cash.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 pm

After giving this thread a thorough read, I headed over to P&C so I could sign up for their notification thread for this blend. Upon opening the Bracken Flake page, I discovered that it's still in stock, as is FVF... so I ordered 2 tins of Bracken Flake. Y'know, as a final cherry on the voluminous amounts of ice cream and cake I've been buying recently. Razz

In short, P&C has Braken Flake, FVF, and a lot of other Samuel Gawith blends in the tin in stock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm

This stuff sort of disappeared awhile ago but I was always fond of it. I had but one tin and was fortunate to be able to supplement that with a purchase from a Brother. Bracken Flake has become what I think of as a lower demand unobtainium. Anyways, I was smoking some of this yesterday and just thought I'd say what a delight it was. It might be good for a thread on this to get a bump. I suspect some may not even be aware of it. I haven't seen any online for some time and the local b&m that used to get it in hasn't in years. Bracken flake my old friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:24 pm

There could be some tins awaiting discovery at a B&M. Last word I had was that the current importer was not importing it. Things change. Keeping asking for it. Maybe it will come back.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Interesting that so much variation was noticed by the OP. The bulk I got a few years ago reminds me of 1792 Light. I heard that Bracken Flake was discontinued a year or so ago due to unavailability of one of the constituent tobaccos.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm

lestrout wrote:
Interesting that so much variation was noticed by the OP.  The bulk I got a few years ago reminds me of 1792 Light.  I heard that Bracken Flake was discontinued a year or so ago due to unavailability of one of the constituent tobaccos.

hp
les

They had also changed the labels about the same time. Label used to be a solid sort of burnt orange/red.

All my old stock is gone I think. I always treat it about the same as 1792 Flake. Lot of strength. But different flavors. It would not surprise me at all that another constituent tobacco may be gone. Fighting in so many places could be the reason.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:15 pm

With the variety of comments going on, it sounds interesting. 1792 is a little strong for me, but this might work better for my personal taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:53 pm

I like 1792 flake, its probably the hardest to keep lit though. I find the whiskey topping to be pretty apparent in 1792 any one else agree? I think you can order bracken from the synjeco btw
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm

WOOHOO!!! I really need to dig in my cellar more often. Very Happy

I was looking for a very particular item for Secret Santa. Came across a jar of bulk Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake from November 2005. So, made, some number of months prior to that.

Going to try and save it for some time. Made it 3 hours so far without opening it. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Carlos wrote:
WOOHOO!!!  I really need to dig in my cellar more often.  Very Happy

I was looking for a very particular item for Secret Santa.  Came across a jar of bulk Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake from November 2005.  So, made, some number of months prior to that.  

Going to try and save it for some time.  Made it 3 hours so far without opening it.  sunny  

3 hours eh? Man, yer tough.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Think I came across a jar of this semi-recently while digging for something else. Looks like I may have gotten some in and promptly forgotten about it - or that I'm dis-remembering!

I'll try and see if I can come across it again, but my organisational methods are, shall we say, much to be desired!

In any case, this may mean I got some in around the time of the original thread. What that might mean in terms of how it will taste remains to be seen. If I can find it. And if I'm remembering correctly!

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Think I came across a jar of this semi-recently while digging for something else. Looks like I may have gotten some in and promptly forgotten about it - or that I'm dis-remembering!

I'll try and see if I can come across it again, but my organisational methods are, shall we say, much to be desired!

In any case, this may mean I got some in around the time of the original thread. What that might mean in terms of how it will taste remains to be seen. If I can find it. And if I'm remembering correctly!

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR

You’ll be sooo-rrry. Cannot in my wildest dreams imagine your smoking Braken “Barnyard Lakeland” Flake without a trip to the ER.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR

You’ll be sooo-rrry.  Cannot in my wildest dreams imagine your smoking Braken “Barnyard Lakeland” Flake without a trip to the ER.

You're probably right!

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake   Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:41 pm

When I had heard that it had been possibly discontinued, I called a favorite retailer and managed to get all they had in tins. 31 tins. All got smoked up over that winter. Along with a jar of bulk. I thought it was done. Gone. Unobtanium. Except for a rare tin on a dusty shelf. Or hidden away in a cellar.

It is not for the inexperienced. Not as strong as rope. As stout, or a bit stronger than 1792 Flake. With an unusual essence that can be had on no other blend I ever came across. As different as this was a couple times. I wish they would take another strong blend and use the same essence on it.

sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2