My simple pipe collection

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

Registration date : 2011-06-11

My simple pipe collection Empty
PostSubject: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Nothing particularly fancy: the most expensive pipe I own is the small calabash meer (around $100).

My simple pipe collection 5715CIMG7499

My simple pipe collection 2883CIMG7500
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 am

Those are both good looking meers but all of your pipes look good. Thanks for posting the pic. I needed to see some nice pipes today.
Looks like maybe two more meers in the top pic? I like those with the long stems too. Nice.
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 am

Thanks! The two lighter-colored pipes in the first pic are pear wood Dr Brog's from the Ukraine. They're great smokers for the money, but I like my Italian pipes best of all! I got the Barontini (top right) brand new for a great price, and it is a great smoker!
Back to top Go down
Briar_Bear

Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 am

Which one is your favorite smoke?
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 7:07 am

I took a break from pipe smoking for several months (and only really got started last year). I have to say the Barontini is an exceptional smoker. I haven't tried the rusticated Comoy yet! The pipe on the bottom right is a cigar pipe used by the Igorot (a tribe in the Northern Philippines).
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 am

Nice group of pipes!
If I recall, you acquired some of these in a short amount of time...
Also, great lighting in your pictures!
Back to top Go down
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:14 am

Love that bully in the top left!
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Harlock and idbowman!

Yep, I bought almost all of them in one three week period! Serious PAD and TAD altogether! I'm now taking the time to enjoy my purchases a little. Smile Took the Duca Carlo down to the banyan tree and smoked some of Milan's 401 Burley Mixture:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=4&TID=2922

It seems my tastes have changed a little. I seem to be enjoying the VAs and Burleys more than I was before, although I do like the English blends. I realize I was puffing way too hard and fast in the past, but I'm getting the hang of it for sure now. I'm still on the fence about using the Savinelli balsa filters though.

As for the lighting: thanks, I only use natural sunlight for my pictures. Wish I had more space on the mat to photograph them. I should have split them up into groups.

The bull in the top left is a beaut! It's an older English estate pipe I picked up on the 'bay: a Milioto's Trophy III. It's definitely one of my favorites!

Back to top Go down
Boulder

Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 am

Very nice group of pipes, Congrat's. cheers
Back to top Go down
Oystermouth

Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Collection of pipes   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 am

It's not quantity but quality that important and you have some very nice pipes there!
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you gentlemen! I do love 'em! There's a Dunhill store in town with a great selection of pipes: maybe I'll pick one up later this year Wink
Back to top Go down
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Very nice collection, I like the top pipe center row.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:49 pm

PipeLeisure wrote:
Very nice collection, I like the top pipe center row.

Thanks Derek! That's an older pipe simply marked Ft Wayne. I got it in great shape and it's a nice, solid little pipe: thick bowl and shank. Definitely one of my favorites!
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 am

Tried this little Mr Brog (pear wood) without the filter today--it was perhaps the best smoke I've had yet! It was Old Limey Bastard, by far my favorite blend. It was easy to get a good amount of smoke without the filter in and it was an extremely comfortable smoke. I'm going to try all my filter pipes without the filters in now!

My simple pipe collection 4922CIMG7536
Back to top Go down
ejames

ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Very nice! You take good care of them!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks ejames, I try! I am careful not to char the rims and I clean them thoroughly ASAP after use. That's really pretty much it!
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am

Just used the little Maltese pipe: had me a bowl of Milan's Cavendish 205. Very pleasant smoke. I must be getting the hang of pipe smoking. It was a very cool, comfortable smoke!
Back to top Go down
Aleksis

Aleksis

Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 2:06 am

Lovely collection!
Back to top Go down
http://theladypipesmoker.blogspot.com/
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 am

Aleksis wrote:
Lovely collection!

Thank you Aleksis! Welcome to Brothers of Briar! Being on BoB makes me want to PAD my collection Shocked This is a dangerous place! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:22 am

My simple pipe collection 2296CIMG7879

My simple pipe collection 8809CIMG7881

I wasn't kidding about the danger: two new additions. A Mario Grandi freehand ($125) and a Molina I picked up on eBay for $24.99 shipped. I had to ream out the bowl with a Kleen-Reem because it was full of purple stain. The reamer did fast work on the briar when it was wet! Still some dye in there: going to keep trying to get it out.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 am

PipeDreams wrote:
I had to ream out the bowl with a Kleen-Reem because it was full of purple stain. The reamer did fast work on the briar when it was wet! Still some dye in there: going to keep trying to get it out.

Those are some nice looking pipes. Go easy with that reamer, though! If it's just stain or varnish you're trying to remove, a salt-and-alcohol treatment would be much less damaging.
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 am

George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:
I had to ream out the bowl with a Kleen-Reem because it was full of purple stain. The reamer did fast work on the briar when it was wet! Still some dye in there: going to keep trying to get it out.

Those are some nice looking pipes. Go easy with that reamer, though! If it's just stain or varnish you're trying to remove, a salt-and-alcohol treatment would be much less damaging.

Thanks! I agree, but for health reasons, I wanted as much of the stain out of there as possible. I'm not too worried about reaming out a $25 pipe: it did turn out quite well and got rid of the stain in a jiffy!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:48 am

PipeDreams wrote:
Thanks! I agree, but for health reasons, I wanted as much of the stain out of there as possible. I'm not too worried about reaming out a $25 pipe: it did turn out quite well and got rid of the stain in a jiffy!

Ah, yes. of course. I miss-read your post and thought you were reaming the Mario! For future reference, a salt bath DOES draw the stain out of the briar, but it takes a day or two, plus drying time afterwards. Enjoy the new pipes, sir.
-G
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 am

George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:

Ah, yes. of course. I miss-read your post and thought you were reaming the Mario! For future reference, a salt bath DOES draw the stain out of the briar, but it takes a day or two, plus drying time afterwards. Enjoy the new pipes, sir.
-G

Thanks! I hear salt can actually be bad for the briar: I have soaked the inside with isopropyl, but I didn't want to leave it in there for too long in case I knocked it over!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

PipeDreams wrote:
Thanks! I hear salt can actually be bad for the briar: I have soaked the inside with isopropyl, but I didn't want to leave it in there for too long in case I knocked it over!

Eeew! Isopropyl alcohol is perfumed and denatured to intentionally make it unpaletable and indigestible to humans. Not something I would put it a pipe. The trick is to use just a few drops of high-proof grain alcohol in a pipe bowl filled with kosher salt, and let the capillary action do the rest. Kosher salt has no added iodine and should be just fine for briar pipes.
Back to top Go down

My simple pipe collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next