My simple pipe collection

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

Registration date : 2011-06-11

My simple pipe collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:
Thanks! I hear salt can actually be bad for the briar: I have soaked the inside with isopropyl, but I didn't want to leave it in there for too long in case I knocked it over!

Eeew! Isopropyl alcohol is perfumed and denatured to intentionally make it unpaletable and indigestible to humans. Not something I would put it a pipe. The trick is to use just a few drops of high-proof grain alcohol in a pipe bowl filled with kosher salt, and let the capillary action do the rest. Kosher salt has no added iodine and should be just fine for briar pipes.

The iso we get here isn't perfumed at all, is not denatured, and ALL isopropyl alcohol is poison if consumed. However, when used topically, it evaporates completely with no odor. Wink I used to say the same thing, but I use it regularly to disinfect straight razors and the like: once it dries up, it's gone. The salt is actually unnecessary: you can use cotton wool instead, which is what I've been doing. The salt is much worse for the wood than the iso!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Just want to say that your Mario Grandi is the nicest one I've seen. Great catch!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Just want to say that your Mario Grandi is the nicest one I've seen. Great catch!

Thank you! This one called to me. I smoked it today and it's my new favorite without a doubt! I know I paid a little too much for it, but I absolutely love it!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm

PipeDreams wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:
Thanks! I hear salt can actually be bad for the briar: I have soaked the inside with isopropyl, but I didn't want to leave it in there for too long in case I knocked it over!

Eeew! Isopropyl alcohol is perfumed and denatured to intentionally make it unpaletable and indigestible to humans. Not something I would put it a pipe. The trick is to use just a few drops of high-proof grain alcohol in a pipe bowl filled with kosher salt, and let the capillary action do the rest. Kosher salt has no added iodine and should be just fine for briar pipes.

The iso we get here isn't perfumed at all, is not denatured, and ALL isopropyl alcohol is poison if consumed. However, when used topically, it evaporates completely with no odor. Wink I used to say the same thing, but I use it regularly to disinfect straight razors and the like: once it dries up, it's gone. The salt is actually unnecessary: you can use cotton wool instead, which is what I've been doing. The salt is much worse for the wood than the iso!

I stand corrected. Enjoy those pipes, sir! I do admire your collection.
-G
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 3:39 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
PipeDreams wrote:

I stand corrected. Enjoy those pipes, sir! I do admire your collection.
-G

Thank you! I also stand corrected: I learned a lot more about isopropyl alcohol tonight than I probably need to know!

From Wikipedia:

Isopropyl alcohol in particular is popular for pharmaceutical applications,[5] presumably due to the low toxicity of any residues.

I also flush out all the excess with lots and lots of water. The residue from evaporation is supposed to be very minor; tobacco smoke's a lot worse for ya!
Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Nice collection you have thats a lot of pipes in a very short time. I am a fan of the Mario Grandi freehand very nice.
Back to top Go down
PipeDreams

PipeDreams

PostSubject: Re: My simple pipe collection   My simple pipe collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 am

Thank you! I've been smoking Missouri Meers recently, but I'm down to 2-3 bowls a month (I've been working out hard and eating right, so it doesn't leave me much time for leisurely pipe smoking)!
Back to top Go down

My simple pipe collection
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2