HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

3 questions about CLEANING.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:43 pm

1) does grain alcohol leave a flavor behind? Is Everclear the standard?

2) I saw a video where after a guy cleaned his pipe he finger-rubbed it with olive oil. I didn't even think of a post-clean finish! (there's so much to learn and I tend to over think and be a little OCD about such things) Is this something one does after ever pipe or every "X" amount of smokes? Do you leave it on or rub it off after a few hours or days?

3) Do you use a brush and pipe cleaner or only pipe cleaners?

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 am

1) does grain alcohol leave a flavor behind? Is Everclear the standard?

No it does not. Everclear is 150 +/- proof. Rum can be purchased with the same proof but can leave a flavor. Lab alcohol would be my standard if I could get it. It is 200 proof.

2) Olive oil is used on the stem after cleaning and buffing. I would not put in on the wood.

3) I use cleaners on day to day cleaning. I would use brushes only on a major cleaning maybe for me once a year.

I am sure there will be other opinions. Happy puffing. albino
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 am

Any 'clean' or 'clear' alchy works.. Colored rum works too but you'll get a lil caramel flavor the first few smokes after words.

Olive oil will start a fight on here just mentioning it, feelings run deep on both sides. Personally I don't use it, and I'll just leave it at that.

Pipe cleaners are fine. If It's bad Pipe Cleaners with a lil alchy will do a number in quick order.. DO NOT get alchy on your pipe stain or you will end up with a Virgin Finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:10 am

puros_bran wrote:

Olive oil will start a fight on here just mentioning it, feelings run deep on both sides. Personally I don't use it, and I'll just leave it at that.

Hell, I thought it was a goof because someone got wind of me being Greek! Wouldn't want to instigate a conflict of such epic proportions so early in what sure to be a short-lived tenure on here if I keep this up. Wink

I'm an "early harvest" olive oil man myself, but I am the kind of food snob that people find most annoying.

Nobody said pimping was easy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:26 am

The highest concentration of denatured alcohol you can get is 191 proof. It's impossible to distill out the last 4.4% of water. If you can get a pharmacist to give you 99.9 or 100% iso you'd be lucky since that stuff is used to make hash oil lol. I never tried but I bet you could find one that would.....but I don't think its neccesary.

Since I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, we're to stupid to not kill ourselves if we even lay eyes on a bottle of everclear. So our wonderful government has decided to rid us of the evil that is grain alcohol. Thank god the people in Rhode Island are smart enough to survive this horrible scourge.

Lol in all seriousness I'm not about to drive to RI to get everclear, so I use bacardi 151. It works great...leaves a little rum smell behind but after letting a pipe sit out for a day after cleaning I havent tasted anything.

I've never tried using olive oil on any part of my pipes...but it seems kindof counter intuitive to put something perishable on a pipe...idk just me maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:34 am

I do a deep clean with alcohol about once a year, but many do this more often. Everclear is my spirit of choice when I do this, but any high proof alcohol will do, just try to nab something flavorless.

Personally, I keep a little piece of paper towel which was saturated with olive oil and then allowed to dry to hand buff all of my vulcanite and brindle stems after a smoke. It keeps them clean and shiny!

I only use bristle pipe cleaners when I'm doing a deep clean. Otherwise, it's regular cleaners until they come out clean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:41 pm

I agree on Everclear. For a good deep cleaning, I like to fill the bowl with sea salt (or a cotton ball if sea salt isn't your style), stuff a pipe cleaner in the stem and snip it off just above the stem. Then I fill the bowl with Everclear. The pipe needs to sit firmly upright when doing this so one of those nifty pipe stands is in order. Or you can prop the pipe on a bent bailing wire contraption of your own design. I let it all soak for several hours, topping off the Everclear as it evaporates or is soaked up by the pipe cleaner. This is why I clip off the cleaner above the stem. So Everclear doesn't drip on the bowl as the cleaner soaks up the Everclear. Often times, I'll replace the pipe cleaner two or three times during the soaking process being careful not to spill Everclear over and on to the outside of the bowl. Stuffing an Everclear soaked pipe cleaner in the bit and letting it soak for several hours is helpful too. Again, replacing the cleaner with a newly soaked cleaner every so often. After dumping everything out, I like to wipe out the bowl with cotton balls, give the stem and bit a few passes with pipe cleaners (until the cleaners pass clean) and let the pipe dry out for a couple days.

Quote :

Any chances of a sea salt fight? Should I take cover?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:35 pm

No.

I think the salt/alchy combo is accepted. Even though there are folks, myself included, that deem it a harsh fix.

And of course the 'proponents' of salt say my cutting the cake to bare wood is just as harsh. But at least no one fights over either of these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:29 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
I do a deep clean with alcohol about once a year, but many do this more often. Everclear is my spirit of choice when I do this, but any high proof alcohol will do, just try to nab something flavorless.

Personally, I keep a little piece of paper towel which was saturated with Briar Wipe and then allowed to dry to hand buff all of my vulcanite and brindle stems after a smoke. It keeps them clean and shiny! Every so often, I'll coat my vulcanite stems with mineral oil..from the drug store. When they get really oxidized, I take super fine (1000, 2000) grit wet sandpaper to them to bring the full finish back, and seal again with mineral oil.

I only use bristle pipe cleaners when I'm doing a deep clean. Otherwise, it's regular cleaners until they come out clean.

I agree; differences noted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: 3 questions about CLEANING.   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Everclear.

Spinnin' wheel/carnauba wax every so often.

Thin coat of SPF 15 lip balm for the stem.

Light newspaper ream every clean for the chunks, keeps the cake to a minimum.

Sand out the cobs every so often.

Just my method; can't add much more...olive oil has a distinct smell to it that I don't particularly want around my pipes. If your Greek heritage must have some kind of olive-something, get an olivewood pipe. Smile I hear they smoke nicely and I know they look quite nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

3 questions about CLEANING.
Page 1 of 1