HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:09 pm

The pipe in question.
I picked this up at the local B&M when I decided to give pipe smoking a try again since I only had one pipe at the time.
I liked the look and feel but, smoked wet, gurgled, looked like a swamp at the bottom of the bowl after wards.
I hated to see it's turn to be smoked roll around because I just couldn't enjoy smoking it.

I was nbrowseing another pipe forum last night (sorry guys!) and ran across a post about fixing a wet smoking pipe, with a post by a fellow who also frequents this forum. More on that later.

So someone suggested pulling the stem out of the pipe a little to see if it helped. I thought, what have I got to lose.

So as you can see I left it out a little, that is the edge of a penny so you get an idea how far.
The thing smoked much better. A couple almost gurgles and smoked to the bottom dry!

Some suggestions on how to fix it if this helped were also included in that post so I pulled the puppy apart to have a look.
The hole in the shank was very high on the stem end.

I debated getteing the drill out but thought I would try something easier to begin with.
So I turned my attention to the stem.

5 minutes of sand paper work and.....

Loaded it up some rather wet aro I have around for Mrs. techs sake, packed it tighter that I thought I should and fired it up.
Smoked way faster than I should. The bowl always got fairly hot right at the level of the ember and you could tell how far it had burned by the heat. Smoking as fast as I dared the bowl stayed cool! Dry cool smoke all the way to the bottom! cheers

This one is now a joy to smoke and I can't wait to get back to it.

I said all that to say this.
Thank you Sasquatch for shareing your knowledge with others.
And guys, if Sas tells you something about how a pipe works, believe it, the man knows what he is talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Good stuff!
Thanks for the info, and the pics are great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Interesting. I have read here and there that in making pipes, it's important to have almost no space between the mortise and tenon (stem and shank) on the inside because moisture will collect, possibly to the detriment of the pipe. *shrug* I can't say for sure.

What you're likely doing is creating an expansion/collection/condensation area for the process of the smoke, so make sure you swab out that little chamber you've made by editing your stem.

It's part of the reason why I don't mind filter pipes smoked without the filter. I've obviously never had a gurgle problem, and laughingly see it as the kind of expansion chamber one would see controlling the backpressure of older 2-stroke engines--obviously that's not the same science, but it's interesting.

If it works, congrats. Just let your pipes dry (swabbing then sitting), because the "wet" doesn't just magically disappear, it's going someplace, and sitting in your stem wouldn't be the place for it to hang out. You'll know, too--sour pipe a go-go.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Great job fixing that yourself! Isn't it great to learn little tricks like that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
tech2576

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Interesting. I have read here and there that in making pipes, it's important to have almost no space between the mortise and tenon (stem and shank) on the inside because moisture will collect, possibly to the detriment of the pipe. *shrug* I can't say for sure.

What you're likely doing is creating an expansion/collection/condensation area for the process of the smoke, so make sure you swab out that little chamber you've made by editing your stem.

It's part of the reason why I don't mind filter pipes smoked without the filter. I've obviously never had a gurgle problem, and laughingly see it as the kind of expansion chamber one would see controlling the backpressure of older 2-stroke engines--obviously that's not the same science, but it's interesting.

If it works, congrats. Just let your pipes dry (swabbing then sitting), because the "wet" doesn't just magically disappear, it's going someplace, and sitting in your stem wouldn't be the place for it to hang out. You'll know, too--sour pipe a go-go.

Cool

Yes Kyle, I need to let it rest for a bit, it is wet. I had to try it out though. Very Happy
It appears that the turbulence caused by the misalignment was worse than the gap!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Great job fixing that yourself! Isn't it great to learn little tricks like that?

Yessir it is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I have a pipe that had a slight beveled edge on the tenon of the stem... It had this awful habit of gurgling and swelling I couldn't figure out, until I gave it a similar treatment you pictured here and squared it up... fixed it right-quick.

There's no real rules most of the time, just the quest of enjoyment! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy   Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:30 pm

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. Razz

I was smoking my Pete XL302 and realized the airway was more constricted than my other Petes so I opened the airway in the shank to 5/32". Smokes much better now. The pipe wasn't "broken" but needed fixin anyway.

Congrats on your success with the pipe and your wisdom in listening to Sas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

From wet to dry in the blink of an eye. picture heavy
Page 1 of 1