My First Pipe: Completed

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Behike54

Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Sheeeeeeeet!

That thing is effing crazy good! Well done, dave!

Damn, I know I'm new but you don't have to HIDE shit from me! Wink

I think I want #5! My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 710492
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Behike54 wrote:
Sheeeeeeeet!

That thing is effing crazy good! Well done, dave!

Damn, I know I'm new but you don't have to HIDE shit from me! Wink

I think I want #5! My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 710492

LOL! This was hidden about as well as an elephant behind a street lamp. Razz

#5? You got it. Wink

BTW, you've got a PM from me concerning some more HTF baccy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
rxman

rxman

Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Looks Great!!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/jkarpus
szyzk

szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm

R.A. wrote:
Just a thought what if one day one or several of these emerging pipe artist were to carve some BoB exclusive pipes?

I LOVE this idea! On a different board I've been a member of, every year they have a bigger-name make a "board exclusive" pipe... But that isn't nearly as cool as having a board member carve it!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Great work, Uberman, and a belated happy birthday! It's been a pleasure watching the process. Makes me want to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 3:28 pm

EXCELLENT! Have you christened her yet? If yes, how'd she smoke? Good as she looks?
Back to top Go down
Behike54

Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 pm

williamcharles wrote:
EXCELLENT! Have you christened her yet?

lol!
Back to top Go down
szyzk

szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 am

I have to repeat the above:

How's it smoking? Don't keep us waiting!

Also: where are the pics of the next one???
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Yikes! Sorry guys. I completely missed the last few posts!

I thought I'd started a new thread about the solo smoke but I guess I forgot. Embarassed

So I brought this pipe with me to the CPCC meeting on Saturday the 11th with the intent to fill it with some aged OGS that I have for its maiden voyage. Instead, one of the club members offered me some very special baccy from House of Calabash. What the blend was, I cannot remember, but damn I wish I could.

This pipe smoked like a champion. I believed (and still believe) the airway at the bit to be too wide, but the airflow in the pipe was practically perfect once there was tobacco in there. From the creating side, I can't imagine ever getting the bit thin enough to be comfortable with the airway at 2.5mm, but damn did that provide a great draw. I'll be asking around how to have a thinner airway but maintain airflow like that. It was very easy to keep the tobacco lit, even when I set the pipe down for up to 5 minutes, it stayed lit like it had never left my mouth. The flavor was incredible and now every time I look over at this pipe, I start to salivate thinking about that first smoke. I've still got the taste in my mouth.

I'm going to keep on smokin' this pipe and will report back if I get a similar experience with other blends. The first smoke was transcendent, which I can only take partial credit for due to the extremely high quality of the baccy. What a solo voyage!
Back to top Go down
brainitch

brainitch

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Staining Technique?   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Amazing pipe. I hope my first go is as amazing when finished. How did you attain the striking coloration?
what stain and techniques were use to get that striking contrast?

Thanks for sharing your success!
Back to top Go down
http://www.danritter.caveofchaos.com
Hater

Hater

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 10:28 pm

I just wanted to come in here and say that I think you found the perfect shape in that block and the grain looks fabulous. cyclops for a first pipe. I hope I find half that beauty in mine.
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 am

Judging by the top quality of "your first" I see a lot of promising pipes yet to come from your efforts. Nice grain, color and shape. The stem joint is a little off, but I'd gladly own a "first" like that in my collection. I am looking to start carving myself, and I can only hope my first, comes out as nice. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your further efforts.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I was reading back through this thread and saw that I never responded to a few folks! Sorry for the delay, guys! Razz

The technique I used to get the contrast stain is one outlined and recommended by Todd Johnson. I have to agree, I'm really happy with the way the finish turned out.

I'm now working on #3 which is my first commission pipe. It's been slow going (surprise) but I hope to have it done in the next two weeks or so. You can keep track with what's going on with the pipes I'm working on at dshpipes.blogspot.com. I update every few days when there's stuff to report. This weekend pipe #3 should see a lot of progress and you'll be able to read all about it at my blog.

To everyone who's followed and following along, thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. This community is indispensable to me and I really can't tell you how much it means to have the full support of the wonderful people in it.

Thanks everyone. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 am

I was thinking, when that shank shattered, why not glue up some other material and shape it back to what you wanted. Like Savinelli does with the NonPariels. That would be a novel approach and add some length back to the shank.

I recently got a sizable bonus from my work place, and am starting to build up a Carving shop myself. My wife recently called our marriage quits, so I have two room in the trailer that are empty. Perfect for setting up shop, I think. I used to work for a Furniture Re-finisher, and wood craftsman, many years ago. So I have some Lathe Working experience, and general wood working knowledge. I've started gathering tools. I have a double wheeled, cloth buffer coming, and an ancient but working Craftsman Metal Lathe w/ 3 & 4 Jaw Chucks, and all the other things, like cutters and what not. ($50 from a friend, can you believe it?) I have tools from PIMO coming, now I need to get me a bandsaw, and a sanding / shaping wheel. I already have a small bench press drill, and other odds and ends. I've also got a 2lb block of Carnuba and Red Rouge in the post. Now all I need is some briar, bits, lucite rod stock and dyes, and I should be able to start the ball rolling. With the wife gone, I need a hobby. I work from home via Telecommunication, so I hardly ever leave the house any more, and my shift work is so slow (I barely take 3 or 4 calls a month.) They are mission critical calls though and a lot of money rides on their resolution, hence the reason my company forks over the dough to keep me on at nights. I work the "graves" three days by thirteen hours. That leaves me four days a week at my leisure. I live in BFE South Carolina, in a town with barely 2000 people. A dying Mill town, with basically the only population left is the Pensioners, that have no reason to flee this dying place. So my days are long and quiet. I am in the Computer Industry. I work for DELL in a support role for Enterprise Software. Which is a fancy way of saying I support a Product for the migration of thousands of machines from old Operating Systems to New ones, and the setup of their networking, and whatnot. It can be a real pain when you've got an Onsite Technician bogged down with 50 machines not Migrating, for some odd reason. I mainly deal with the over Seas Customer base.

Anyways, sorry to run off on a tangent. Back to my earlier thoughts. Maybe you could incorporate some exotic woods into the shank, like purple heart or Cocobola, or better yet Zebra Wood. That would give your work a really distinctive look, or you could try using a synthetic material, like lucite or Delrin. Using lucite would make the mortise / tenon less prone to expansion / shrinkage while hot from smoking. Or you could incorporate brass, or aluminum, something soft but still carve-able / machinable, that would add a really nice touch. I know you're done with the pipe now, but keep this in mind for the next "OOPSie" moment.

Anyways, I look forward to your future work, and picking your brain, when I get the ball rolling myself.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 pm

CygnusXII wrote:
Anyways, I look forward to your future work, and picking your brain, when I get the ball rolling myself.

My brain is free to pick, but it sounds like you may have a much better setup than I very very soon! Maybe I'll be picking your brain. Wink
Back to top Go down
MichiganScott

MichiganScott

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Forgive me please, I'm new to BoB, and just now found this post while looking for repair tips. I've been thinking about making my own pipe for years but never have. Yours is very inspirational, I think I might give it a go. I love your design and it looks as if it would be a comfortable hold.
Keep up the great work!
Back to top Go down
chris

chris

Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
No joke, I won the freaking lottery here.

You certainly did!!!

You clearly have a natural talent for designing and making pipes but getting your hands on a block of briar with that straight grain for your first pipe is pretty miraculous.

Best of luck with your future pipes but it does not look like you need any luck.

Chris
Back to top Go down
WizardOfAZ

Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe: Completed   My First Pipe: Completed - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 1:47 am

Speechless... Amazing piece of wood. Amazing work...
Back to top Go down

My First Pipe: Completed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: