HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 pm

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2012May20Agoogle.html

Well gee, looks like I might get a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm already deciding what pipe I'm going to bring to the to-be-determined viewing area...hopefully in the mountains someplace. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:31 pm

We had a total eclipse down here in 1990. It was kind of cool, but not as big a deal as I expected. It was like twilight for a few minutes and then the sun came out again. Coolest thing was being able to say I'd experienced a full solar eclipse. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Well, by my assumption, being it in the afternoon on the west coast, it'll be quite an interesting shadow, lasting about five minutes. To us rednecks it's an excuse to head up to the mountains with a crapload of beer, fishing gear, set up camp, and have a weekend. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
To us rednecks it's an excuse to head up to the mountains with a crapload of beer, fishing gear, set up camp, and have a weekend. Cool

Geez, I didn't know I needed an excuse to do that!! Embarassed

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm

MisterE wrote:

Geez, I didn't know I needed an excuse to do that!! Embarassed

lol! lol!

I didn't say it was a short list of excuses. Cool There's at least 365.25 of them to start. Plus I don't know where you're from, but this is Nevada: water is scarce, things to do is like water, and if it moves, shoot at least six more, 'cuz one's just got too little meat on it to eat. Razz

Last edited by Kyle Weiss on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm

A real redneck has to have a good excuse for not doing that Cool

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
A real redneck has to have a good excuse for not doing that Cool

California "rednecks" get theirs from going into the tanning beds fully-clothed, so I'm not so sure about that. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Oh, shows how little you know. I could tell some stories! I think the statute of limitations may not have run out on many of them though.....

Ya see, there's citified California, and rural California, like Vegas boys and out in the middle of the frikkin desert Nevada boys. Although I rather enjoy the comforts of the bedroom community in my aging years, I was raised up on the dirt, thank you.

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Oh, shows how little you know. I could tell some stories! I think the statute of limitations may not have run out on many of them though.....

Ya see, there's citified California, and rural California, like Vegas boys and out in the middle of the frikkin desert Nevada boys. Although I rather enjoy the comforts of the bedroom community in my aging years, I was raised up on the dirt, thank you.

lol! See, you gots fire in yer belly...you passed the test. Razz I mean, I did send you a buncha foo-foo tea and well... YOU LIKED IT... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Its tuesday will work for a excuse for the crape load of beer alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I did send you a buncha foo-foo tea and well... YOU LIKED IT... Razz

And I hold my pinky out when I drink it too! Nevada style, I believe they call it.

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I've been through 2 in my life, and frankly they don't live up to the hype. Very anticlimactic.
I wouldn't go out of my way for the next one.

Don't mean to sound negative or try and rain on your parade Kyle. Just tellin' it like it is.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
I did send you a buncha foo-foo tea and well... YOU LIKED IT... Razz

And I hold my pinky out when I drink it too! Nevada style, I believe they call it.

With so many damn Californians here, I'm not surprised. Razz We're like an arid France now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Well, I'm going to go waste my effing time and watch the total eclipse, and the rest of you can BIOYA. Laughing cheers

If it sucks, I'll come back and say all of you were right. If it amuses me (easy to do) then I'll revel in the simplicity and/or geekery of it.

Otherwise, I hope it's a great weekend to go camping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Kyle, the times are GMT. At your location, the maximum eclipse will occur about 9:30 AM. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:11 pm

EC Outlaw wrote:
Kyle, the times are GMT. At your location, the maximum eclipse will occur about 9:30 AM. Just saying.

Say huh?

http://earthsky.org/tonight/annular-eclipse-of-the-sun-for-southwestern-u-s-on-may-20

Reno, Nevada
partial solar eclipse begins: 5:15 p.m. PDT
annular solar eclipse begins: 6:28:31 p.m.
annular solar eclipse ends: 6:32:54 p.m.
partial solar eclipse ends: 7:37 p.m.

Every instance for this event places it in the general area from starting as early as 4:00pm to as late as 8:00pm, depending on location and shadow. I've been following Universal Time (UT) from NASA predictions and the locations I'm headed toward will be about 0:13 - 2:36 UT (4:13pm - 6:36pm PST)... *shrug*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Sounds like you'll just need to party all afternoon. Oh, and be sure to bring those sunglasses you flaunt so often. Wink

I may be sentimental, but I've seen one partial solar eclipse and it was beautiful! Not necessarily a life changer, but seeing that corona is an experience that I wouldn't pass up if you paid me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Upon reflection, I think you are probably right. Since I'm retarded; I mean retired Razz , I live on sun time now, instead of clock time, and I continually get mixed up at to + or - a certain number of hours from GMT.

Anyhow, I'll not be where I can witness it, in any event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US   Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:32 pm

At least someone has some hope for my enthusiasm! Laughing Thanks Ub! Cool I have about six pairs of 1950s/1960s Ray-Bay Wayfarers that I've worn for years--naturally, like fedoras, they had a "hip resurgence" but I just stuck through it. Also, no, I'm not going to look into the sun with them. I will have a cheap camera for crappy snapshots, that hopefully will work out when I'm plenty sunburnt, loaded with trout and drinking. drunken drunken drunken

EC, you scared the crap out of me, I thought it was I that made the error, as I had the whole day planned in my head already. So far, so good--fishin' and drinkin' all day, celestial event in the evening, gorging myself to sleep by sundown. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

5/20/2012 Total Eclipse for Western US
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1