HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Afraid of Ghosts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 am

As a brand new Brother, I only have one pipe. It is a Peterson. I am fortunate enough to work in the great city of Chicago, home of Iwan Ries on Wabash, but I am having a conundrum. They have an amazing selection of tins and house blends, but everything I read says i should have one pipe for each type of tobacco to prevent flavors from tainting each other. I would love to build a nice collection and rotation, but as of now, I can't see myself plopping down a ton of money for several different pipes before I really even know what I like. Am I up a creek? Should I throw caution to the wind? Until I find that shoebox full of pipes at someones garage sale, I await your advice Brothers.

Jeff, K.O.T.I.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 am

The kinda advice you'll get here is, "Buy more pipes!" Laughing
Welcome to BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 am

Hermit wrote:
Welcome to BoB.

I want to do this right, but at this juncture, I am "ballin' on a budget." Pipes tend to be an investment that I can't afford right now; thus I am hoping for a solution that wont break the bank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 am

jefe1037 wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Welcome to BoB.

I want to do this right, but at this juncture, I am "ballin' on a budget." Pipes tend to be an investment that I can't afford right now; thus I am hoping for a solution that wont break the bank.

Until you are able to build your collection,
get a few cobs at about six bucks a piece.

Last edited by Hermit on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 am

I guess what i am really asking is if i have been smoking an english blend and i start smoking an aromatic, is my pipe ruined? can i ever switch back? i just want to know the ramifications before i shell out more money for more toys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 am

jefe1037 wrote:
I guess what i am really asking is if i have been smoking an english blend and i start smoking an aromatic, is my pipe ruined? can i ever switch back? i just want to know the ramifications before i shell out more money for more toys

Ruined? Not at all.
Almost any ghost can be exorcised.
Most of us routinely buy used ("estate")
pipes. Some of em come haunted.
A badly haunted pipe can be freshened
up with cotton balls and Everclear.
A mild ghost can usually be smoked
away after a few bowls.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am

thank you for the reassurance. if you are ever in Chicago, maybe i will run into you at IRC...I have made the decision to only buy from brick and mortar shops, so I think i might want to go in pretty often -- and apparently they have a badass BYOB lounge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:29 am

jefe1037 wrote:
thank you for the reassurance. if you are ever in Chicago, maybe i will run into you at IRC...I have made the decision to only buy from brick and mortar shops, so I think i might want to go in pretty often -- and apparently they have a badass BYOB lounge

That's admirable, but it'll cost you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 am

You might note that Iwan Ries also has an on-line presence, as do several other B&M's. Examples would be Low Country Pipes and Cigars in South Carolina (smokingpipes.com) and Pipes & Cigars in New York (pipesandcigars.com). There are others scattered around the country, so shopping on-line is not necessarily abandoning the B&M establishments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:13 am

Hermit wrote:

Until you are able to build your collection,
get a few cobs at about six bucks a piece.

This is sound advice. Probably the easiest way to try a bunch of blends without "ghosting" your briar.

Personally, I don't worry about ghosts. If you smoke something in your briar that you don't care for just smoke a bunch of bowls of something you do like and the ghost will be no more. YMMV
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 am

Relax! Razz Many folks who smoke a pipe today are borderline OCD Razz When I started smoking a pipe 43 years ago, I also started on aromatics and smoked one pipe only. Because of the nature of how aro's smoked (wet, hot) I soon moved to English/Balkan and straight Va's and added a couple of pipes and went on my way "happy". Little did I realize how "deprived" I was in the pipe smoking experience, especially compared to today Razz We were
stuck" with the blends we found at the few B&M available to us and maybe a mail-order catalog or two from other firms. So we found a blend that "worked" for us on a regular basis and stuck with it! Occasionaly a friend would give you a bowl full of a "new" blend and you would put it in the pipe you had that was empty and give it a smoke, "ghosts" and all ! I will say that based on the charachteristics of Aro's I would probably keep a seperate pipe for them today, but I don't really find many of them attractive enough to do that!
Your'e just beginning so take your time, get to know ONE tobacco well, add a pipe or two as you feel comfortable and can afford it and ENJOY the smoke ! Youv'e not smoked that much tobacco of onetype in your one pipe to where you need to worry about the "ghost" thing yet. ( I really don't now all these years later for tha matter) RELAX, ENJOY your pipe and as Jerry said: "....keep on truckin' " Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 am

monbla256 wrote:
Relax! Razz Many folks who smoke a pipe today are borderline OCD Razz

Do ya' think? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Relax! Razz Many folks who smoke a pipe today are borderline OCD Razz

Do ya' think? lol!

Heheheh -- we're OCD, Monbla's just OCD about our OCD... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 pm

El Jefe:

Many of us just "smoke out the ghosts," if we want to regale a pipe for different duty. It's a little harder to go from an aromatic-only/Latakia-only pipe to say, a Virginia flake, but not impossible. I figure the "Lakeland soap" is probably the most insidious of the "ghosts" I've come across, especially my estates. Even they tame down after a dozen or so bowls, though.

Otherwise, Hermit's alcohol-and-cotton trick really helps--otherwise, cobs are an awesome way to rotate out your pipes and "keep 'em separated" for other tobaccos, especially on a budget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
El Jefe:

Many of us just "smoke out the ghosts," if we want to regale a pipe for different duty.

Unless you wish to be regaled with ghost stories of Captain Black past, best relegate a single pipe to said mélange! geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 am

This thread has been incredibly helpful. I can tell that I am in good company. I think I am going to let fate play a role in all of this...
I'm sure I will be keeping everybody updated as I continue my journey. Until then, back to lurking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, we're an interesting crowd, for sure; glad we could help. You can't lurk anymore, it's too late now. We know where you are. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 am

Just an update, Had a good day at work (i wait tables at a restaurant in river north, about 4 blocks north of Iwan Ries) so I stopped by and picked up two more pipes from the basket on the counter (not the REALLY cheap ones, but the 1/2 step up)

The guys at the store are great, and they have all their house blends available, so i tried their Three Star Blue in my new dublin and i packed the Ko-Ko in my new apple for Tomorrow.... I have already learned DGT from you crazies

Now i have a 3 pipe rotation, and away we go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:22 am

I ain't afraid of no ghost!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Iwan Ries & Co. is a great place to buy pipes and tobacco and to just hang out and have a smoke. I live in Lakeview so it's a quick and easy El ride downtown to get there. Let me know if you ever want to meet up for some baccy and conversation. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Afraid of Ghosts   Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
you crazies

I resemble that remark! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Afraid of Ghosts
Page 1 of 1