HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 am

riff raff wrote:
Added "Rampart" to my DVD list and currently waiting on "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I wanted to see Tinker in the theater, but it never worked out.

Last time I was in St. Louis I saw three films:

In order of excellence:

We Have to Talk About Kevin
Marley
Rampart

I think I would have liked Rampart better had I not seen two of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
Also on Netflix is Gosford Park, which was written and controlled by the same chap who wrote and controls Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes. Won a bunch of awards that year, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I gave the movie 8/10, but it also didn't have two seasons and tens of episodes to develop and breathe. He's a master writer, no doubt about it.

I am in Agreement. It seems the US was binging on these kind of films and though directed and acted beautifully. It's pretty forgettable; like a good truffle on the pillow of a nice hotel. You eat and it's good, but you are wondering where you put your champagne glass. (The Remains of The Day, for instance)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
If you don't mind reading subtitles, "Castaway On The Moon," 2009 Korean flick. If you watch it and honestly don't like it, I'll send you a tin of your favorite tobacco (within reason), Simple Man.

Not kidding.

Cool

I don't know why I confused this with "Moon?" Maybe because I watch so much Korean film.

Kyle, what were you thinking? Forget what I do, forget I've been to Korea, or that my passion is Asian Cinema, forget all that malarkey. Dude, the movie is 7 seven films in one, and latches onto two characters who are boring at worst and unlikeable at best. The beginning is horrible and the ending is worse. There are some interesting moments, albeit fleetingly and too far in between, but the most egregious offense in the ending.

Dude, this film and what it's about is swimming in the wake of the work of Taiwanese directors Tsai Ming-Liang, and Hou Hsiao-Hsien . (The Hole and Millenium Mambo, respectively). Finally, you may also want to check out Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels and Chungking Express.

I toook your offer to SM as not just I really like this film, but a stamp or claim to its greatness.

It's worst offense is the ending that makes it all but unforgettable.

I know, this is a bit harsh. But Kyle, you got a rep to keep up and well, you know, YEESH! I thought we were on the same page when it comes to qualitative comments. You are entitled to like or dislike a film for whatever reasons you choose, but once you start dropping anchor and putting up tobacco (that is NOT why I am writing this, btw....but I would be curious to know what you think of the film after watching more Korean cinema and know more about asian cinema in general.

Ok, I am a douche, but I will be able to sleep tonight. lol!

Cheers, brother! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon May 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Just watched Mothers Day, starring Rebecca De Mornay. A great movie if you like a little violence, and a lot of suspense! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon May 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Just finishing up the Story of India with Michael Wood.

Fascinating stuff , lots of things I never realized about the influence India has had over the last 4-5000 years. Highly recommend this one, has such tidbits as the relationship between Sanskrit and all other indo-european languages, that every person not from Africa can be traced genetically to India, ,the invention of zero 0, the trading realtionships between ancient India, Rome and the Greek city states etc...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PiperCub

Registration date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 pm

if you like detective shows like sherlock try Wallander..the swedish version is better than the BBC
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/tj.runningwolf
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

House of Cards. It's been fascinating, visceral, dialogue-y, and fun. Interesting concept from Netflix, releasing it how they're doing. Plus, I've always dug Kevin Spacey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PiperCub

Registration date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: house of cards   Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

yeah, it's an excellent show aint it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/tj.runningwolf
petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

try "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" fascinating documentary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.petertschantz.com/
soylentgreen

Registration date : 2012-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Trollhunter

Slow burn comedy, mockumentary, Norwegian dialog (subtitles), awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_McD

Registration date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

I just finished season 1 of the Netflix original series Lilyhammer. I have to say it really grew on me as it developed.

And as earlier noted, you are doing yourself a disservice if you haven't streamed the BBC series Sherlock - or most of the BBC series for that matter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolickle

Registration date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:29 am

I like the BBC show, Doc Martin. Good British humor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:20 pm

They put the History Channel miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys" on netflix a few days ago. The wife and I watched it, and even she enjoyed it (extremely rare for her to enjoy anything like this).

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and Kevin Costner's portrayal of Devil Anse Hatfield has him with a pipe in his mouth constantly (some sort of stubby bent egg-ish type of thing).

Last edited by Foxfire on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm

arrested development the new season comes out may 4th WATCH IT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Here's my recent summary:

House of Cards - A+, a very well done show, can't wait for the 2nd season. It was so good we shotgunned many episodes.

Lillyhammer - fun, because I love Steven Van Zandt. Quirky good. It won't make you forget The Sopranos but fun to watch. I don't think a 2nd season is in the works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 am

American Experience: The Poisoner's Handbook.

An outstanding documentary. I highly recommend it. If you have an interest in history, true crime, forensics then it's for you. I suspect that's a lot of us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 am

I put "Narcos" on my que.

Currently watching Sense8, not bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 pm

koolickle wrote:
I like the BBC show, Doc Martin. Good British humor.

I say old chap, I think you're bang on, what? Tremendous fun, set in the West Country (Port Isaac, Cornwall if anyone is interested), the part of the world where I grew up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Some great suggestions there boys and gal.

Assuming that Netflix in the States is the same as in Blighty, here's mine...

Maidentrip:

The true story of a 14 year Dutch girl Laura Dekker who decides at the age of 12 she is going to sail solo around the world. The story attracted much media attention, initially not due to her aspirations, but because her family came under scrutiny for not acting responsibly (easy to judge when one doesn't have full understanding). The film is wonderfully made with of course all the footage at sea shot by Laura herself.

In an epoch where teenagers are often criticised for undesirable traits and anti social behaviours, this film serves as a timely and refreshing reminder of, given the right circumstances, the potential of the youth of today. Inspiring viewing.

Beasts of no nation:

Caught up in an African civil war, a young boy named Agu witnesses his father being executed, his brother shot whilst trying to evade capture and his mother fleeing to an unknown location for safety. Now on the run and alone the in the world Agu is found and trained by a rebel faction who employ guerrilla tactics to overthrow the government forces responsible for the wide scale devastation and in doing so Agu becomes embroiled within the atrocities.

Shocking, thought provoking, upsetting and brilliantly written, if you're a father of a young son like me this may make for challenging viewing. For the fans of Luther (also on Netflix), Idris Elba puts in a fine performance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Breaking Bad, you won't be sorry!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:37 pm

skaukatt wrote:

Good lord, that show about ruined me when it first hit Netflix. I spent whole days watching Breaking Bad until I made it through the series. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:16 pm

skaukatt wrote:

I watched that one live from Day One. Of my top tv series of all time, perhaps the top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:11 am

riff raff wrote:
skaukatt wrote:

I watched that one live from Day One. Of my top tv series of all time, perhaps the top.  

Absolutely agree, perhaps the best of all time IMHO. Like Simple man, I binged watched over a few weeks last spring right after hockey season ended.

Great show, couldn't get enough of it. Watched it all over a second time just prior to this hockey season!

I also agree that House of Cards is another must see series.

Lou
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Netflix original Narcos. There are a lot of good movies on instant play right now. Lawrence of Arabia is on instant play right now. Amadeus, Sunset Boulevard, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr Hunter S Thompson (good doc on Hunter Thompson), Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Big Fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 am

Longmire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Arts & Entertainment-
Jump to: