HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
javainseattle

Registration date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 am

New pipe smoker here. Was a rolling tobacco smoker for years. Gave it up for the missus about 10 years ago. The other night I realized that I had been exposed to one too many "women buying wedding dresses" TV shows and that this toxic exposure had, in fact, significantly reduced the size of my cojones. Time to dust of the Hemingway short stories and go buy a pipe!

Immediately stopped myself though, remembering my one pipe smoking experience from my early twenties. Not great. Therefore, I'm on the BoB, seeking knowledge.

I've picked up a couple of cobs and an estate meerschaum, which had caught my fancy. Currently enjoying the window-shopping and filling my cart with small tins to try out....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 am

Welcome aboard. Great intro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 am

Welcome to the forums, and happy hunting!

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 am

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Welcome to the Brotherhood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Welcome to BoB and as a warning..never ask this group to talk you OUT of anything. You'll end buying more than if you hadn't tried!! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Hello and welcome! I spent some time in your neck of the woods when I was in the Navy. Really enjoyed the ferry rides from Bremerton to Seattle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Welcome, feel free to jump in on the fun and ask as many questions as you like...no question is a stupid one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Welcome.

I'm in the Cascade foothills. Give me a shout if you ever want to meet up.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 am

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokinbriar

Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Welcome to the group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NW7US

Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Welcome!   Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm new to BoB - but not to pipe smoking. I lived in the Pacific Northwest, too. Washington State, in various places. Also, Montana. Right now, however, I am in Nebraska. I love the PNW, and pipe smoking fits well with the PNW!

Starting with cobs is a great way to begin, as you get more of the tobacco flavors without any influence from left-over flavoring embedded in the pipe. Starting with tins is also good... but don't miss out on house blends, too.

The fact that you are trying out a variety of tobaccos is a good thing, as well. Too many potential pipe smokers start with one or two tobaccos (maybe store-bought, like Borkum Riff (ug)), and give up after suffering through it.

Don't inhale. Pipe smoke is (by most accounts) a type of smoke that is best enjoyed in the sinus cavities and on the tongue. That's another mistake some make when starting out. Remember, some tobaccos will give you more of a nicotine kick than others. Eat a fine meal, first. Clean your taste buds. Keep your favorite drink, nearby.

And, share your thoughts and experiences on the forum. I can tell that there are great folks here who will offer their responses in your aid and encouragement.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/NW7US
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest   Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Welcome to the BoB. I enjoyed my years in the PNW. A good place to have a pipe.There is lots of experience here so just ask away and join in. What tobacs are you picking up? Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Greetings from the balmy Pacific Northwest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: