Home office tobacco drier

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

Home office tobacco drier Empty
PostSubject: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Ah, yes. My moments of genius all have three things in common:
1. They're few.
2. They're far between.
3. They never really solve any world-changing problems.
Nevertheless, I was quite pleased with myself when this solution dawned on me, sitting at a hot-running laptop presented with a tin of Blue Note that was a bit moist for my liking. Sadly, this is about my greatest accomplishment this month. Rolling Eyes Yes, I need to get out more, but until I do, Home office tobacco drier 04810this is making the room smell terrific!
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:00 pm

We have a warm steam humidifier for the winter months in our bedroom.... if anything dries out on me I think i am going to take inspiration from your utility, sir.
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 pm

I'll bet that room does indeed smell terrific. Blue Note is good stuff.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
I think i am going to take inspiration from your utility, sir.

The trick is to convince the sleeping cat to make some room in front of the exhaust fan. Razz
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:27 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
jefe1037 wrote:
I think i am going to take inspiration from your utility, sir.

The trick is to convince the sleeping cat to make some room in front of the exhaust fan. Razz

That's what spray bottles are for...plus, it helps with overly dry tobacco--see? No wasted effort. Cool
Back to top Go down
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

You sir are a true genius. I agree maybe not world changing , but quite possibly the first small step in doing so.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 pm

flytyer wrote:
I agree maybe not world changing , but quite possibly the first small step in doing so.

We're making the world better, one pipe smoker at a time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Very clever George a well thought out solution!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 4:37 am

Thanks, Buckeye. It's funny, but when I first posted this it was mainly for a laugh. Since then, I've been "warming up" my tobacco this way almost every time I smoke at home. It really does work. It'll take a few pinches of tobacco from a freshly opened tin to "pipe ready" dryness in about five minutes.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Thanks, Buckeye. It's funny, but when I first posted this it was mainly for a laugh. Since then, I've been "warming up" my tobacco this way almost every time I smoke at home. It really does work. It'll take a few pinches of tobacco from a freshly opened tin to "pipe ready" dryness in about five minutes.

I've done something similar for awhile now. I take and rub-out a bowls worth of my flakes in a smaller saucer and put it under the desk lamp on my desl (lamp needs to be on Razz ) and let 'em dry for about 20minutes, then they are perfect for loading and smoking for me Razz
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:51 pm

OK...seriously...I saw the title of the post and immediately thought, 'Now THAT'S something whose time has come!' so in I dive and there's the pic of the tin next to the exhaust port.

I literally let out this huge 'guffaw' - making my wife look over at me like I'm crazy (she should already know after 30 years).

In short, I LOVE IT! Totally classic.

I wonder if it would work with a sticky bun? (Heh, heh.)

Home office tobacco drier D6bddf10Home office tobacco drier 29400910Home office tobacco drier 114e6110Home office tobacco drier Ddb39b10Home office tobacco drier Cf77ce10Home office tobacco drier Dd692012Home office tobacco drier Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 3:25 am

Laugh all you want, Blackhorse, but the dang thing works.
I love it when old threads like this find their way to the surface, to be stumbled over by the guys who missed them the first time around.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:19 am

Don't take it the wrong way GK. I really do think it's brilliant. Now all we need is a little wire mesh basket thing one could mount there, maybe clamped to the side of the case...plus a little rotisserie motor to tumble it via USB power, etc. I just got a new loadout of Gawith & Hogwarts flakes and cut plugs in and literally had my little saucer of rubbed out leaf sitting next to the laptop. When I saw this I moved the saucer to the other side of the table, set the laptop on a thick magazine and I was in 'Power Drying Mode'! Jeez! How many totally obvious solutions like this sit before and around us all the time...unrealized?

Home office tobacco drier D6bddf10Home office tobacco drier 29400910Home office tobacco drier 114e6110Home office tobacco drier Ddb39b10Home office tobacco drier Cf77ce10Home office tobacco drier Dd692012Home office tobacco drier Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:48 pm

I had to laugh when I saw this. What a great use for all that wasted hot air. You should set your brain working on salt water powered cars next!
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:37 am

Ingenious!
I like the re-purposed golf tee as well.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:33 am

Comparing your pics to mine, Harlock, I would have thought that sort of clutter would give you nightmares. I mean, look! There's a speck of dottle right there on the table by my pencil! Mad
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:15 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Comparing your pics to mine, Harlock, I would have thought that sort of clutter would give you nightmares. I mean, look! There's a speck of dottle right there on the table by my pencil! Mad

Here's two shots of the squalor that is my sleeping quarters. The cleanliness and order in the rest of the house is just a sham...
Home office tobacco drier Dsc_0622
Home office tobacco drier Dsc_0623

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:20 pm

H999 - several things about your photos.

1. Anyone that owns books can't be all bad.
2. It disturbs me that you have a mostly used roll of TP tossed into your headboard.
3. Nice phone.

Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Whoa! There goes the illusion of the impeccably locked-down 'Lock. Love the old Bell phone. I grew up with one in that exact shade of delightful '70s green. I always wanted to have a bulldog carved in the shape of that receiver.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

2. It disturbs me that you have a mostly used roll of TP tossed into your headboard.
3. Nice phone.

On point one, thanks. I think...
On point two, I find that embarrassing as well. But it's still there.

Hey Gk, that's a great idea for a bulldog shape!
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: win   Home office tobacco drier EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
That's what spray bottles are for...plus, it helps with overly dry tobacco--see? No wasted effort. Cool

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Just letting you know, on the road, I needed to dry some Marlin Flake a bit... took some motel periodicals and made a horizontal desktop flue, directed off of the vent fan of the laptop... brilliant! cheers It works! Very Happy

Cool
Back to top Go down
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 5:21 am

Harlock999 wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

Here's two shots of the squalor that is my sleeping quarters. The cleanliness and order in the rest of the house is just a sham...

Home office tobacco drier Dsc_0623

Tell me about that Hiwatt half-stack afro I couldn't even focus on anything else in those pictures!

Also, not sure how I missed this thread but thanks for the idea, GK! I'm going to give it a go next time I don't want to wait for some FVF to dry out the natural way

Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 5:36 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

3. Nice phone.

On point one, thanks. I think...
On point two, I find that embarrassing as well. But it's still there.

Hey Gk, that's a great idea for a bulldog shape!

I have a roll on my headboard, too.
I blow my nose before applying my
BreathRite strip when I call it a night.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Home office tobacco drier   Home office tobacco drier EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am

s.ireland wrote:
Tell me about that Hiwatt half-stack afro I couldn't even focus on anything else in those pictures!
Also, not sure how I missed this thread but thanks for the idea, GK! I'm going to give it a go next time I don't want to wait for some FVF to dry out the natural way

Hey Shane,
It's a Custom 100, with a replica WEM Super Starfinder 4x12 cab. Large, clean, and loud! cherry
The wiring on the reissue head is very tidy, like the originals.
I do have a '74 Custom 100 wired by Harry Joyce, and the new ones are pretty close...
Back to top Go down

Home office tobacco drier
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: