HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Break-in rituals

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm

So, I know there's no arcane secret to breaking in a new pipe. I usually just run some Carter Hall through it slowly and carefully until the pouch is empty, then never worry about it again. Some old-timers, though, swear by eldritch formulae, such as "smoke a third of a bowl of brand X with a bit of molasses for nine days on the left side of the mouth, followed by two thirds of a bowl of brand Y for eleven days starting on the full moon, and then..."
Just wondered if you guys had heard any good ones, or if you, personally had a technique stuck to like it was your religion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Reaching into the bin of (possibly pointless) esoteric questions, eh? Laughing

Akin to the elusive and worshiped "one match smoke," "down to a fine ash bowl," "perfect flake pipe," "how to perfectly clean," or "how properly to bathe and herd cats." Laughing

I've done the "smoke half-bowls of your favorite stuff for the first x-amount (5? 10?) bowls, to make sure the cake builds up nice on the bottom," bit, and it seems to be okay. Simple as that: no honey, no sweetener, no killing chickens under a new moon. I mostly do that because I'm not always sure how the new (or new-to-me) pipe is going to react to whatever tobak I've selected, and don't want to ghost the sucker if something doesn't work out. The added benefit, I've had nary a problem with the heel cake.

Cue Alfredo and Monbla rants! Razz Go!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I liked Ken Collins' approach: "I just smoke the new out of it."

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

MisterE wrote:

lol!

That's my method Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:50 pm

MisterE wrote:

lol!

Me too. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:40 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I usually just run some Carter Hall through it slowly and carefully until the pouch is empty, then never worry about it again.

That's typically what I do too. But I don't use nearly an entire pouch. I smoke three, maybe four, bowls of either Prince Albert or Carter Hall to start off with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Simple as that: no honey, no sweetener, no killing chickens under a new moon.

Well Crap! What the hell am I supposed to do with the Chicken Bones i've been using as a Break-In Ritual?

If I can't read the bones, how am I going to know what blend the pipe likes?

All these years and i've got to start all over. Mad Figures... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:14 pm

To paraphrase, someone, somewhere on here about this same topic said, "Just smoke the damn pipe." Laughing

Chicken bones, eh? Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm

[quote="Kyle Weiss"]Reaching into the bin of (possibly pointless) esoteric questions, eh? Laughing

Akin to the elusive and worshiped "one match smoke," "down to a fine ash bowl," "perfect flake pipe," "how to perfectly clean," or "how properly to bathe and herd cats." Laughing

I've done the "smoke half-bowls of your favorite stuff for the first x-amount (5? 10?) bowls, to make sure the cake builds up nice on the bottom," bit, and it seems to be okay. Simple as that: no honey, no sweetener, no killing chickens under a new moon. I mostly do that because I'm not always sure how the new (or new-to-me) pipe is going to react to whatever tobak I've selected, and don't want to ghost the sucker if something doesn't work out. The added benefit, I've had nary a problem with the heel cake.

Cue Alfredo and Monbla rants! Razz Go!

Do whut? Kill chickens under a full moon? I do it to annoy the idiot across the street and because I hate eating live chickens. Awful hard to keep em still long enough to get a good mouthful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm

the only "Ritual" I use to break in a new pipe is my '63 Vette ritual. I take all my new pipes I'm going to "break" in, load 'em up with Prince Albert, light those puppiies up with an oxy-cetalin torch get in the Vette and drive at around 75 while holding the burning pipe out the top of the windshield( tops down) till it consumes all the tobacco. Usually one round trip up to the Kansas/Oklahoma state line and back to Texas doing this with each pipe will get 'em all "broke" in readyfor smoking Razz
Thats my "Ritual". As to how i do it, just load 'em up with the tobacco I usually smoke and go nice an slow till it's done then put them in the rack till I'm ready for them in the rotation. No big deal Razz No rants tonight Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Alright monbla, the 'Air 75' break-in system. Works every time!

On a more serious note, I did an experiment with 3 MM Cobs years ago - using 3 different break-in methods.

Cob #1 - 1/2 bowl gradually increasing levels.
Cob #2 - Same as above but used Honey inside the bowl first few smokes.
Cob #3 - Just smoked it normally, like it was already broken in.

After 1-month and regular smoking all three of them (with their respective break-in methods) - guess what?

They all looked and smoked the same... No difference at all....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:08 pm

So much for "KISS it," Monbla: just need a convertible, classic 'vette to do it right, eh? lol! Too frackin' funny. One of my esteemed pipe tomes I bought recently recounted a gent trying to "break in" his pipe with the thing out the window after he sparked up a full bowl, and he managed to burn a hole clean through the bottom of the sucker. I guess it takes some finesse! Laughing

I swear, you take an object as simple as the pipe and tobacco, add a few fellows, and look at the shit that develops after only a few hundred years. Laughing No wonder this hobby fascinates me--as much the cast of characters as the participation itself.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Never had a break-in ritual.

I've always just loaded the pipe with the weed I choose and smoke it. Never had a problem with this approach. And the cake seems to build as normal.

Yes I've read about the recommendations about first smoking a half bowl and gradually building it up.

If that works for you, then fine. It's all good.

Cheers,

RR

x 2x 6  
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:07 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Pointless and esoteric are two of my better qualities, according to my ex-wife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Pointless and esoteric are two of my better qualities, according to my ex-wife.

Perhaps she is right, but these are things that make you great to have on a bar trivia-night team....

thus negating pointless.

there is always a point to free beer: res ipsa loquitor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I like the way y'all think. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

MisterE wrote:

lol!

That's pretty much my method, too. I wasn't looking for any secrets here, although Monbla's Corvette technique has me interested. I'm starting a new pipe tomorrow and it just got me thinking of some of the crazy things I've heard in the past. That "honey smear" method always seemed like one of the worst ideas ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Kyle's big on olive oil lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
I usually just run some Carter Hall through it slowly and carefully until the pouch is empty, then never worry about it again.

That's typically what I do too. But I don't use nearly an entire pouch. I smoke three, maybe four, bowls of either Prince Albert or Carter Hall to start off with.

Truth be told, I never really use a whole pouch, either. I always start off with the best intentions, but get bored with CH after a few bowls and call it "good enough". So far so good. I wonder why Carter Hall/Prince Al is the preferred smoke for new briar.

Last edited by George Kaplan on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Kyle's big on olive oil lol!

And yet, there's no substitute for real butter. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlong

Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Prince of Albert here. It tastes great, smokes cool, and cakes up a bowl fast. The prince doesn't wreck the taste of anything I plan to really stuff in my new pipe after break in. It enhances the taste if there is any effect at all. If I was a Virginia kind of guy, The prince would be off limits I'm sure. I do the half bowl thing for half a dozen bowls then slowly work up to the rim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThroughHisStomach

Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: What to start with is my question...   Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi All,

Total newb here and have been trying out pipes after years of being a cigar smoker.

I have an order on the way for a Butz-Choquin Rolando Negoita, and it looks like it is not "pre-charred."

My concern is what to use for the first bowls in the pipe, if I don't know which direction I am going to go with its use. I imagine long term it would be used for either aromatics maybe, but most likely Latakias or Orientals.

I have tins of Larsen's 2012, Fox's The Bankers, and Sunday Picnic now, and my question is can I use any one of these three to break it in without altering the pipe for future use long term?

Thanks for bearing with,

Joseph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:02 pm

For over 40+ years I've always just loaded the new pipe with my favorite tobacco at the time and broken it in with it. As my tastes have changed, I've changed the tobacco I smoke in the pipe. Not really noticed much in the way of the "dreaded ghosting" everyone speaks so much about as I've changed over the years. I think that much of this is borderline OCD, but I'm one of "those" old guys so what would I know Razz I've just enjoyed my 80 + pipes over the years and a lot of good tobacco! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am

Joseph, it seems like this:
monbla256 wrote:
For over 40+ years I've always just loaded the new pipe with my favorite tobacco at the time and broken it in with it.
is pretty much the consensus on break-in. I've heard some pretty elaborate plans for "properly" seasoning a fresh pipe, and I floated this thread in hopes of hearing some more for a good laugh. The point is, there's no perfect way to do it. Somewhere along the line the idea of using Carter Hall or other burly got stuck in my head, so that's what I do, but I doubt that anyone could convince me by scientific argument that one type of tobacco is better than another for the first few smokes. The only thing that need concern you with your new pipe is starting off slowly and gently and smoking it all the way to the bottom for a nice even char. Even so, there's a lot of leeway for "even char".
I don't believe in ghosts. Sometimes I might think I'm in the presence of some "spirit from the past", but after a bowl or two, I realize it was just my imagination. Razz In the long run, the tabac you break your pipe in with should have little or no bearing on what you smoke in it in the future.
Enjoy that new Butz-Choquin!
-G
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThroughHisStomach

Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Break-in rituals   Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks fellas.

Very reassuring to hear.

Be well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile