HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Wood Carving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey Brothers,

I've been away from the boards lately partially because of lack of time, even at work, and partially because of a new hobby - hence the lack of time. Smile

Does anyone on this board carve wood? If you do, I'd love to talk with the brother. I've only carved four things, and one of them turned out terrible, but it's fun to learn something new. I'm so friggin ADD, I have to always do something new.

Here is my latest hack job....

[img][/img]

I hope your pipes are smoking cool and the leaf is endless! LOL

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Pretty cool, Martin... just need to hollow out his mouth a little and carve him a pipe to hold. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Kyle! Now THAT's a cool idea! LOL. I may just do that.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

MartinH wrote:
Kyle! Now THAT's a cool idea! LOL. I may just do that.

If you come up with a slightly smaller size (that one looks about a foot or so tall, nine inches or so wide....) you might get a few guys asking for them as very unique, artistic pipe "stands" for their favorite pipe. I would be one of them. Cool

I've always admired nice wood carving--and fully support engaging in new interests, even if they're fleeting (been known to do that...) Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Ha! Kyle. It's just the picture. In reality it's only about 5 or so inches tall, probably closer to 4. It's roughly 3 inches in diameter. I didn't even think about making a pipe holder out of this.

Hmmmm. I wonder how I'd do that? I'll have to ponder this imponderable. Smile

Martin
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Actually, that'd be a good size. Might have to drill out a hole in the bottom and put a counter-weight in the back so it doesn't fall forward with the weight of a pipe, but I suppose just an ambiguous hole in the mouth area that would accommodate a pipe (just by leverage)--but making it front-heavy with a pipe in the dude's mouth will be something to consider as it is. Future design, make it wider at the base than the top...?

Thinking fast, sorry. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Hmmm. I'm not sure. But it'll be worth a shot. I may carve the other side of the wood and see what I can figure out. But I do like the idea of combining my love of the pipe and this new hobby.

Kyle, you're a fraggin' genius!

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Genius, insane, everyday lout, dropout engineer, pointless rambler--I've been accused of much worse. Cool Just saw the dude holding the pipe in my mind, that's it. You making it happen will decide whom the genius is. (i.e., not me) Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:34 pm

MartinH wrote:
Kyle, you're a fraggin' genius!

Oh god, don't tell him that. He's bad enough as it is!

Oh - hey! How's it going, Kyle? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Just mindin' my own, it would seem. lol!

alien

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Seems to me we have several master carvers here on BoB. In fact our esteemed Blackhorse is qualified in this pursuit. Of that I can personally testify.

Hope BH can edify this thread with his experience. But watch out - the man is a stickler for details!

What a Face

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Pretty cool, Martin... just need to hollow out his mouth a little and carve him a pipe to hold. Cool

Great looking job Martin. Kyle has a goood idea. FYI the hole that you bore will depend on the pipe and bit straight pipes can use a roun or oblong hole depending on the tillt that you want the pipe to display at. bent pipes to be displayed as smoking will usually be using a very narrow oblong hole as you will not want the pipe stem to have to much play. Here are a few examples of racks I made with plexiglass to give you an idea.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 am

Oooh, that's cool! My next project might be a wood spirit carved as a pipe stand. Smile I may work on that this weekend.

Thanks for the awesome idea!

Martin
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Those are some cool stands, Spud. Ever do one for multiple pipes on one stand? Plexiglass is a b*tch to work with...

...Martin, can't wait to see what you come up with. Cool The ideas are just flowing freely in this tread, very cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 pm

What do you guys think about this? I'm not quite sure how'll I do it yet, but the stem of the pipe would rest on a tiny, glued dowel rod.

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Could be cool! Don't want to share your pipes with even the mouth of your carvings, eh? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Ha! Smart A#*! LOL

Actually, I thought it would be nice to display the profile of the pipe rather than a frontal view.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Also, I didn't want to give the wood spirit a ginormous mouth. I thought it might look odd. Wink
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

The hole you make for the stem to fit just has to be the height and width or the end of the stem+ 1/32" that would make a nice fit and i dont think it would make the mouth to big. jost my 2 pennies. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm

SPUD 15 wrote:
The hole you make for the stem to fit just has to be the height and width or the end of the stem+ 1/32" that would make a nice fit and i dont think it would make the mouth to big. jost my 2 pennies. MIKE

His two pennies are my two pennies--I think you could make look natural holding or not holding the pipe in his mouth--however, the "rest" idea in front of the face would also be cool. Cool

Here we are, backseat carving. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Lol! It's all appreciated. If I get to work on it this weekend, I'll put up some pics.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am

Okay, here's my attempt. I was constrained by the overall small dimensions of the wood, and the fact that I suck. LOL!

I could not figure out a way to make a large mouth and still keep the face proportional, and the beard looking decent. Before I finished this, I carved this face three times. Of course, the biggest issue was that I didn't use saw to chop away the initial wood. No, instead I did it all with a carving knife!!!!! Martin ----> Idiot!

LOL!

At any rate, here it is, but I don't think it really works.

Comment appreciated.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 am

I think this is totally salvageable. While the "holder" in front would need to be more "cradle-shaped" to hold a pipe properly, supporting both the heel and the shank (kind of like a checkmark-shape...)...

...I think you accidentally found a great way to provide proper stability from the design I originally suggested: having the pipe come out of the guy's mouth! Now that this "foot" is in place in front of the guy's face, it won't fall forward with a pipe wedged in. An oval hole ever-so slightly wider and taller than whatever pipe's stem/bit you choose, about 3/4 - 1 inch deep would do the trick. You might have to use a drill carefully to do it, which I hope isn't against any "I did it ONLY with hand tools!" ethics...but you could probably do it by hand.

As for the foot with the bottom carved out? What a great place to put a lighter, tamper, tool, or other small pipe accessory.

You obviously are a lot like me, you liked this idea and couldn't stand by and wait--had to get something done right away! Laughing Good work!!!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:23 am

I think your doing a nice job on your carvings. I have ADHD which makes me know what you are going through as well ,I have so many things I want to do but little time to do it, kinda makes me sad.

Spud, isn't hanging a pipe from the stem like that bad? I thought it could break being that it sits like that longer without support than it does hanging from your mouth. Then again I even hold my pipes while smoking them so they are still supported.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Cuervo25_1 wrote:
I think your doing a nice job on your carvings. I have ADHD which makes me know what you are going through as well ,I have so many things I want to do but little time to do it, kinda makes me sad.

Spud, isn't hanging a pipe from the stem like that bad? I thought it could break being that it sits like that longer without support than it does hanging from your mouth. Then again I even hold my pipes while smoking them so they are still supported.

It's a thought Cuervo but I've had Petes. Larsons,and Kaywoodies hanging from there stems for the last 20 years without any problems. I have also made some custom MULTIPLE pipe racks the same way without any complaints.

Martin it seems as though you are concerned with the scale of the holder to the pipe dont be I think it will look just fine. If you ever run into the situation where you cannot have a foot in front of you holder you can bore out the bottom and weight it down with lead works great. MIKE

I wish I could draw as I would love to try to make a holder similar to yours. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Wood Carving
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next