HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Wood Carving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey Brothers,

I am not sure what will do with this carving now that I have gone this far. I'll probably round out the front some more and make it a simply pipe rest. Smile

As for the comment about drawing ability, I can't draw worth a darn. Instead, I used the tricks in this video..

Spirit Face Tutorial

...to teach myself some basic tricks. It's very straight forward when you watch this video made by this master carver.

A few weeks ago, I started all of this, with a very, VERY basic wood spirit. I just Googled for videos and You Tube. Smile

Once I get some more time to work on this, I'll post more pics. Of course, most carvers, once their done with the carving, will sand the thing a bit and then spray some gloss on it. The semi-gloss actually really brings the carving out.

But then again, I may paint the thing. I'll see how it goes.

I hope everyone's had a nice weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Martin thanks for the link to the video, i'll have to try it as yours came out really good looking. Do not even think about painting your carving unless that is what you really want to do. You might want to try just using a different stain for the beard, hair, and mustach. for the face leave it natural. eyes black and finish the entire carving with any kind of oil rub. linseed, tung. etc, use 0000 steel wool after the first application of oil and you will like the results. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

SPUD 15 wrote:
Martin thanks for the link to the video, i'll have to try it as yours came out really good looking. Do not even think about painting your carving unless that is what you really want to do. You might want to try just using a different stain for the beard, hair, and mustach. for the face leave it natural. eyes black and finish the entire carving with any kind of oil rub. linseed, tung. etc, use 0000 steel wool after the first application of oil and you will like the results. MIKE

Thanks Mike,

I painted a "totem pole" of wind spirits and it turned out okay, but I think I'll leave this as is. I will, however, put some semi-gloss on it, just to give it a little shine and protection. And thanks for the compliment! Smile

Oh, do you have carving tools? The guys at Woodcraft recommended FlexCut
http://flexcut.com/

..and I have to say they were right. It cost about $100 for everything, including the sharpening strop, but it's been well worth it. The tools resharpen great and have a razor's edge to them. Also, get the safety glove. I had a few slips the other night with the v-tool and if I hadn't been wearing the glove, I'd a probably needed stitches.

Happy carving!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wood Carving   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info Martin MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Wood Carving
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2