My First Bent Bulldog

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

My First Bent Bulldog Empty
PostSubject: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I just finished my first Bent Bulldog for a pipe trade that we are having over at the Pipe Maker's Forum.

I'm pretty happy with it, but it is always good to get an objective opinion.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Todd

My First Bent Bulldog 182906
My First Bent Bulldog 182854
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
jefe1037

jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:11 pm

OUTSTANDING!

I want one!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Looks good, Todd. Very "Peterson-esque." Personally, I like a more bold "shoulder" around the top and a bit more stoutness. With that, understand my opinion is for sh*t. Laughing It's a beautiful pipe, and if it ended up on my doorstep like a hungry kitten, I would not leave it outside. Cool
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:50 am

Kyle,

Lets get something straight. Your opinion is important. I asked for a critique and that's what you gave me.

By the way, I agree with you. I should have cut the shoulder at a sharper angle. By the time I figured that out it was too late. I'll just have to cut it better the next time. Smile

Todd
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 7:38 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
It's a beautiful pipe, and if it ended up on my doorstep like a hungry kitten, I would not leave it outside.

I agree with Kyle 100% on the beauty of the pipe - and it showing up on the doorstep like a homeless kitten (meow meow). Only difference in opinion is that I personally like the dimensions the way they are. I think you did an outstanding job on this bent bulldog.

Very nice grain and well defined lines.

I will also 2nd what Jefe1037 said - 'I want one!'

Todd - you may have found your calling!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:28 pm

taharris wrote:
Kyle,

Lets get something straight. Your opinion is important. I asked for a critique and that's what you gave me.

By the way, I agree with you. I should have cut the shoulder at a sharper angle. By the time I figured that out it was too late. I'll just have to cut it better the next time. Smile

Todd

Hahaha well thanks--my opinion I'm kind of a helpless slave to, and never really want it to negatively precede my wonderful personality.... Razz Twisted Evil

So, I just have to add a bent bulldog to my list of "must have Harris pipes." Fair enough. Cool

Since we're talking about it, if I were to have a shoulder like that in the picture, it's actually not bad--if the pipe were a little rounder and less "acorn" shaped (that's the best way I can describe it). I find the taller and narrower the bowls get, the sharper the angle and taller the shoulder tends to be (not my preferred style, but that seems to be status-quo)... but the wider bowls can look good with either a shallow shoulder with a steeper angle or a flatter, broader shoulder--so I tend to lean toward the rounder or more squat bowls (or hell, Rhodesians are nice, too Cool ) --- just my take.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I love the versatility of the bulldog style, and this one looks like a very solid example drawing from the English/Irish school. For a first attempt, it looks great.
I'd like to see more, with some added "verve", if you know what I mean... cheers
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
I love the versatility of the bulldog style, and this one looks like a very solid example drawing from the English/Irish school. For a first attempt, it looks great.
I'd like to see more, with some added "verve", if you know what I mean... cheers

I agree, but therein lies the rub. Some like a very traditional style without a lot of flash and others prefer a more dressed up pipe. A silver band and a Cumberland stem would certainly verve up this pipe.

Thanks for the insight.

Todd
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 5:53 pm

taharris wrote:
I just finished my first Bent Bulldog for a pipe trade that we are having over at the Pipe Maker's Forum.

I'm pretty happy with it, but it is always good to get an objective opinion.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Todd

My First Bent Bulldog 182906
My First Bent Bulldog 182854

I like it a lot and it does have a very British look to it. I would love to see the heel of it as from the grain shown on the two sides it looks like it would have beautiful birdseye on the heel ! As far as "verve" if you were to put a hand cut Saddle Bit stem on it it would lengthen it out visually even if the stem were the same length as this taper style. All in all a nice, nice piece of work! cheers
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Not negating other's critiques, this is everything I visualize when I think "bulldog." This isn't a whimsical graceful shape; have you ever seen a graceful bulldog of the canine variety? There is a reason the shape has such a namesake. This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'

I don't normally wax poetic, but I had some serious visual imagery running through my noggin inspired by your creation.

Your fine work is inspirational, sir!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 8:20 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'

Hell, it looks like you could beat a man to death with that pipe and not even have to re-tamp it afterward. I love it!
Back to top Go down
ejames

ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 am

Very nice!! I also think a saddle bit stem would be a nice touch. wish I could make a bulldog!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 am

I want one, too.
It's very close to an Abbey of London pipe I loved but lost years ago. I've been searching for a replacement for over twenty years. Mine was rusticated - yours is nicer. Good show!
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and comments.

Todd
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:

I like it a lot and it does have a very British look to it. I would love to see the heel of it as from the grain shown on the two sides it looks like it would have beautiful birdseye on the heel ! As far as "verve" if you were to put a hand cut Saddle Bit stem on it it would lengthen it out visually even if the stem were the same length as this taper style. All in all a nice, nice piece of work! cheers

Here are some additional pictures.

My First Bent Bulldog 181612
My First Bent Bulldog 181543

Unfortunately, not as much bird's eye as one might expect.

And it never occurred to me to put a saddle stem on this pipe. I was going for a very traditional look. I may need to give that idea some thought... thanks!

Todd
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow, nice first dog. That is supposed to be the most difficult shape to carve. I think you nailed that heel crease. The top of the pipe has enough nuances to make it stand out, I like it. Add a cumberland stem: oh-la-la!
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 3:26 pm

The symetry of the bowl and bottom crease you achieved is PERFECT!! And you got the bottom line straight !! NICE,NICE work!! As far as a saddle bit, my experience over the years is that I've seen as many saddle bit Bulldogs as taper bit. In fact I have several British pipes from the '60s/'70s with'em! Either way, looks VERY BRITISH to me Razz
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the positive and constructive comments.

Todd
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 11:59 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
Not negating other's critiques, this is everything I visualize when I think "bulldog." This isn't a whimsical graceful shape; have you ever seen a graceful bulldog of the canine variety? There is a reason the shape has such a namesake. This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'
!

I agree, the Bulldog is a man's pipe.

Although, if you happen to be a man's man and want a pipe that you could just as easily use as a club, then a Bull Moose is the pipe for you. I just finished this little beauty for a custom order and I am so pleased with the grain that I just had to show it off.

My First Bent Bulldog 221302
My First Bent Bulldog 221348
My First Bent Bulldog 221539
My First Bent Bulldog 221935

Todd
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 12:13 am

Todd, you do some nice work. I just checked out your gallery. When the wallet is getting a little heavy, I might be calling in your direction
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 12:38 am

taharris wrote:
jefe1037 wrote:
!

I agree, the Bulldog is a man's pipe.

Although, if you happen to be a man's man and want a pipe that you could just as easily use as a club, then a Bull Moose is the pipe for you. I just finished this little beauty for a custom order and I am so pleased with the grain that I just had to show it off.

My First Bent Bulldog 221302

My First Bent Bulldog 221539

Todd

If THAT pipe were mine, with that kind of PERFECT straight grain all around as can be seen from the birdseye on the top, I'm afraid it would never see a shred of tobacco! Razz When I win the lottery, I'm giving you a call for a seven day set of Bulldogs/ Rhodesions !! You've got that shape down Razz
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 1:54 am

Holy crap, Todd--now THAT'S a sexy 'dog. That stem is flashy but fitting! Some lucky dude's gonna have himself a nice pipe. Cool

Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks guys. I really lucked out with the grain on that one. Very Happy

Todd
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 pm

This Bull Moose actually effectively states one of the main reasons why I like the bulldog (and similar) shapes so much...

...when a straight grain runs so well with the bowl, the top edges give not one, but two flat surfaces in which to really view the birdseye properly, and compliments the straight grain to make a "whole picture" of what's going on with the briar.

As I smoke a finer pipe, I'm constantly admiring the artwork in my hand, especially briar, which in the right light, is just a dazzling, sharp, and great show of man and mother nature.

Cool
Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My First Bent Bulldog   My First Bent Bulldog EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 pm

I have a pete thats similar to your first Dog that I like a lot. A beautiful first try and it does have a very British feeling. Its definately a mans shape. You do good work my fellow buckeye freind.

Steve
Back to top Go down

My First Bent Bulldog
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: