HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's your pocketknife?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

Thank you Martin. I like it too. It was my first experience with VG-10, and I have been pleased with it. The big surprise is that M4, I have actually cut chain link with it using cheater pipes. It's a shame those are no longer made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

Lesath,

Man, really? Chain link? I'm impressed. I was just looking at the CRKT M16, that looks like a great, entry level knife. But, right now I can't afford to buy yet another knife. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am

Simple Man,

How are the edges on those blades? I finally purchased my first non-stainless knife, and I look forward to having something that I can actually sharpen, opposed to the knives I've had which wouldn't hold an edge, nor stay sharp very long.

BTW: Half-Penny, very cool! I don't have anything that old, at least I don't think so. Smile Of course, if you ask my wife, she'd tell you I'm an old fart.

Back to top Go down
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

I know that carrying a pocket knife really isn't a replacement for carrying a real weapon to protect yourself with, but do you feel a sense of security when carrying your favorite blade? I've often toyed with the idea of carrying something for protection, mainly because I live in a place with too many angry and out of control people. Just going to the mall for shopping, you can get into an altercation with people. Of course, that's often because I'll call BS on people when they act like jerks, which I probably shouldn't do. But I just can't abide people being jerks to the poor clerks working behind the counters.

That said, I got into a situation a year ago or so, where someone got in my face. I think if I'd had something on me, maybe even Mace, I could have made the guy back down a lot easier.

Just curious how you deal with things like this. Carrying a gun is out of the question, as my wife opposes the idea.

Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey, don't go blamin' me, now. Though I do admit, askin' a bunch of guys what they knife they prefer is like asking them if they want a beer... most are going to partake. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokinbriar

Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

I carry a Case .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I use this knife as my pipe tool.

When I bought it the blade was razor sharp and staid that way until I decide to carve some briar with it. Intelligent, huh?

Well, I ran it across a wet stone today and then used my leather strop with compound and the darn thing is sharp as heck again. I'd say it's not quite as sharp as when it arrived from Amazon, but it's pretty darn close.

How do you guys edge and sharpen your 440 Stainless knives?
dr's knife

Back to top Go down
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:40 pm

MartinH wrote:
I know that carrying a pocket knife really isn't a replacement for carrying a real weapon to protect yourself with, but do you feel a sense of security when carrying your favorite blade? I've often toyed with the idea of carrying something for protection, mainly because I live in a place with too many angry and out of control people. Just going to the mall for shopping, you can get into an altercation with people. Of course, that's often because I'll call BS on people when they act like jerks, which I probably shouldn't do. But I just can't abide people being jerks to the poor clerks working behind the counters.

That said, I got into a situation a year ago or so, where someone got in my face. I think if I'd had something on me, maybe even Mace, I could have made the guy back down a lot easier.

Just curious how you deal with things like this. Carrying a gun is out of the question, as my wife opposes the idea.

I carry a Kershaw 1550ST and a Victorinox Officier. But, for protection, I'm never far from my S&W Bodyguard .380. I also keep a Springfield XD40 in the car most of the time. The thing about carrying a firearm, in my opinion, is you have to know your weapon inside-out, and you have to make the commitment to use it without remorse, if, and when, the time comes.

If you're morally opposed to carrying a firearm, you might want to check into Pepper Spray, or a Taser.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:01 pm

The handiest of the three is the box cutter...
The butterfly knife and the CKRT were given to me by my dad, who is a true knife afficionado.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 pm

I like that butterfly knife. I have never owned a nice one that didn't come from some shady dude at a flea market.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I like that butterfly knife. I have never owned a nice one that didn't come from some shady dude at a flea market.

I have had a couple of those as well!
Good for practicing tricks, because I didn't mind too much if they went flying out of my hands.
Just had to make sure to move my feet if I dropped one while in action... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Good for practicing tricks, because I didn't mind too much if they went flying out of my hands.

Good for the reflexes, sir. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Good for the reflexes, sir. Cool

True!
But not too good for the floor... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Harlock999 wrote:

True!

Rented floor = rented carpet & padding...butterfly knife expert ahoy! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

True!

Rented floor = rented carpet & padding...butterfly knife expert ahoy! Laughing

True that, too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm

That's one fine Benchmade balisong sire, I'm jealous. /Still waiting for the safe trainer balisong to arrive by mail./
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm surprised you're still allowed to posses a butterfly knife out in LA la land.

*edited for spelling because apparently I am about as literate as a goldfish.

Last edited by Dave_In_Philly on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 am

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
I'm surprised you're still aloud to posses a butterfly knife out in LA la land.

Shhh... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am

East L.A. is the butterfly knife capitol of the US, or at least it used to be. Laughing Don't you hear that? It's them laughing at the word "allowed" in unison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Hehehe!...I've got one of fairly high quality I still use as a letter opener. A buddy gave it to me for my 14th birthday, back in the 80s when they were the coolest things EVAR. That same buddy grew up to become a cop, which is funny since he later confessed to me he had stolen the knife from a truck stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Hehehe!...I've got one of fairly high quality I still use as a letter opener. A buddy gave it to me for my 14th birthday, back in the 80s when they were the coolest things EVAR. That same buddy grew up to become a cop, which is funny since he later confessed to me he had stolen the knife from a truck stop.

I know great cops that led a shady past, and shady cops that had a "good" past. Funny how that works out. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 am

Ok. One last funny butterfly knife story before I stop bumping this thread:

Back about ten years ago when my ex-wife was my new live-in girlfriend, she saw me open a bill with my bali song. Her jaw dropped and she just stared at me with a weird look on her face. I thought I had somehow offended or upset her by flipping the knife open in the usual manner. Turns out I had actually AROUSED her! The less said of that, the better. Wink
A few weeks later, I was in the alley behind my house and I looked down and saw a butterfly knife just lying there on the ground. It was slightly smaller and lighter than mine, but still heavy enough to swing well. It was like Stabby Claus had left a gift for her! So now we had his-and-hers unlawful cutlery.
A short time after that, she had a couple of old girlfriends from college come to stay with us for a bit. The county fair happened to be in town that week, so one day I sent the ladies off to eat funnel cake while I played golf.
"Just don't bring home any carneys" I told them.
When I got home that evening I found they had all bought cheap-ass butterfly knives. The rest of that weekend, my house was filled with the sound of women's chatter punctuated by the constant "clink-clink, clink-clink" of the three of them learning their new toys. If a stranger had walked in, he would've thought I was training an elite squad of female assassins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's your pocketknife?   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 am

George Kaplan wrote:
It was like Stabby Claus had left a gift for her! So now we had his-and-hers unlawful cutlery.
If a stranger had walked in, he would've thought I was training an elite squad of female assassins.

I love this!
Great story! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What's your pocketknife?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: