HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Greetings from Jim in Northern California

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jim Lowe

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Hello everyone and greetings from the San Francisco Bay area.

I'm very pleased to have found this little group. I've learned quite a bit from the reading the excellent discussions, and it's come time to introduce myself. Please call me Jim.

I'm still quite new to pipe tobacco, having discovered it last fall after throwing in the towel with cigars. The learning curve has been steep, and it remains so, but I'm certainly enjoying the experience.

I've accumulated a small squadron of MM cob pipes; everything from a MacArthur and a Freehand, to several workhorse Missouri Prides, with a few Eggs and Spools thrown in for good measure. Cobs, more cobs, and nothing but cobs. Someday I'll branch out, but not until I've got a better handle on the tobacco side of the sport.

My small but proud tobacco collection includes Penzance, FVF, SJF, BWF, SL, PA, and various combinations of those. I've got a list in my mind of what I want to try next, but before do that, I'll ask for advice first.

I did splurge and purchase a Corona Old Boy - rough briar finish. Totally unnecessary, but completely wonderful. Like I said, I splurged.

Enough of the intros. Glad to be here, and looking forward to meeting the gang.

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jim! It's great to have you here.

MM cobs and some great tobacco... You are off to a great start!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Welcome to BoB Jim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm

From one Jim in northern California to another, welcome! I'm in the Sacramento area. With all those cobs you should load up on some good, no nonsense burleyweed. Burley and cobs go together like, well, burley and cobs! Uhle's 00 and Perfection plug are a couple of all time fav's of mine, as are Wessex Burley Slices and GL Pease Barbary Coast.

Nice lighter by the way, some primo smoke swag there Smile

Jim

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Welcome, Jim! Nothing wrong with those great MM cobs! I hope you enjoy your time reading & posting here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
smokinbriar

Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 am

Welcome aboard Jim. Good to see a new smoker who doesn't need to be bullied into trying a cob. But lighting them with an Old Boy?!! That's just wrong! I'll trade you a box of matches and a rusty Ronson knockoff for it. I wouldn't want you looking like a dolt. pirat
You're welcome.
-G
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:20 am

Welcome to the BoB forums Jim! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Welcome Jim! Glad ya found us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 am

Welcome to BoB. Can't go wrong with good ole cobs, so now you can expand your tastes with some fine tobaccos. If you like burley tobaccos please go with Puff Daddy's recommendations they are the BEST burley leaf you can find. I also enjoy L J Peretti burley blends, especially 9575, BPC, and 333.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:55 am

welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Lowe

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I am in the market for a good burley, and I will try Puff Daddy's and others suggestions. I do have a bit of a 14-oz. container of PA left, but I use that for blending only. By itself, I found it had a funny alkali aftertaste, and even beyond that, it lacked a bit of oomph. But for blending it's worked quite well, and seems to impart its better qualities without carrying over its less desirable features. I am looking forward to trying one of the burlier burleys.

George Kaplan wrote:
But lighting them with an Old Boy?!! That's just wrong! I'll trade you a box of matches and a rusty Ronson knockoff for it. I wouldn't want you looking like a dolt. pirat
You're welcome.
-G
Hey thanks George, and yeah, that gold finish really does draw the wrong kind of attention, but let me puff on that just a bit more before committing to a trade. I assume we're talking wooden matches, right?

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, you will really enjoy yourself here. I want a Corona Old Boy soooo bad...someday I will get one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Jim in Northern California   Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Greetings from Jim in Northern California
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1