My Pipe Making Blog

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
szyzk

szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you for doing the blog, by the way. It's been a fun read!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm

There's a new post about the first commissioned pipe that I'm making. I must not be feeling particularly pontificatious (hey, I made it up. So what?) 'cause it's short and sweet.

Check it out: Commission #1
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Oh, commissions are coming in, now, huh? And you don't want to get "pontificatious?" Razz

It'll turn out great, I'm sure--keep updating!

Cool
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 am

Made some progress on pipe #3. Take a look! Smile

Progress!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 pm

All joking at my expense aside, I do NOT think that pipe looks too long. The stoutness of the stem and shank will likely keep it looking balanced, and the shape is coming along nicely. Cool Swell job as usual, and I'm jealous of your talent.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

I went to visit Scott Klein's workshop out in the 'burbs last week, so I wrote a blog post about it. Check it out! Smile

Visiting with Scott Klein
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 am

If a master pipemaker is "underwhelmed" by your first attempts, I'd take that as a huge compliment--ingratiating or false compliments, or even a wrinkled-lipped sneer probably would have been much worse. Laughing

Good story, sir. Cool
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:31 am

Fantastic! I envy you for you chance to get into and learn from another man shop, especially someone that's been around the block a time or two, not to mention the knowledge you get to soak up. It's easy to learn the small things when someone is willing to lend a hand. Sometimes it makes all the difference. You will be able to take you game up many notches, given a little help from an experienced carver. The thing with us that take up the tools, is our thirst to make it better. Always striving for the extra little bit of excellence, is the task master we chase. Your work is pretty darned good now, just imagine your skill set and work in a year from now. I see great work in your future. I can only hope to strive to produce work as nice.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
If a master pipemaker is "underwhelmed" by your first attempts, I'd take that as a huge compliment--ingratiating or false compliments, or even a wrinkled-lipped sneer probably would have been much worse. Laughing

Good story, sir. Cool

Good point! It actually felt really good to have a pro look at the pipes and say, "Hey, that's ok" instead of having his eyes pop out of his head or have his nose wrinkle up in disgust.

CygnusXII wrote:
Fantastic! I envy you for you chance to get into and learn from another man shop, especially someone that's been around the block a time or two, not to mention the knowledge you get to soak up. It's easy to learn the small things when someone is willing to lend a hand. Sometimes it makes all the difference. You will be able to take you game up many notches, given a little help from an experienced carver. The thing with us that take up the tools, is our thirst to make it better. Always striving for the extra little bit of excellence, is the task master we chase. Your work is pretty darned good now, just imagine your skill set and work in a year from now. I see great work in your future. I can only hope to strive to produce work as nice.

LOL! Flattery will get you everywhere, sir. Wink

Seriously though, I really look forward to learning more and making more pipes. I'm having so much fun and feeling so artistically fulfilled it's hard to imagine stopping. It's also really nice to feel like there's some momentum going, you know? I just wish I had the means to tool up like you've been able to.

Also, as a point of interest to you, unless I'm mistaken, Adam Davidson doesn't live terribly far from you. I'd recommend looking him up after you've put a few pipes together.

Another also, check out Pipe Makers Forum. There's so much information there it's unreal. The guys on the forum are fantastic and very supportive. Smile
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Here's a piping update for you! Lots of things have happened since my last update and I cover a lot of it in this post; from another ruined pipe, to the Chicago Show, to another pipe in the works, it's all here. Enjoy!

Piping Update
Back to top Go down
sam a

sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:40 pm

david... i think i said this to you at the show but it bears repeating... billiard homie... billiard. blowfish later, billiards now. you are crazy.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 7:34 am

sam a wrote:
david... i think i said this to you at the show but it bears repeating... billiard homie... billiard. blowfish later, billiards now. you are crazy.

Of course I'm crazy! Why else would I be trying to make some pipes? Razz

I've been hearing this from several different directions recently, actually. Thanks for hounding me on it!

The issue right now is that making a billiard would be really laborious for me. I just don't feel the motivation to do it nor do I feel capable of forcing that shape on a block once I've started cutting into it.

Having a background in art, I completely understand and appreciate learning the classics and in particular "learning the rules before you break them." What I'm doing right now, at least what I think I'm doing right now, is trying to figure out shapes and styles that have serious appeal to me. aka the stuff that I find beautiful and fascinating.

Trying to make a billiard is particularly difficult for me right now specifically because of the time it takes me to make a pipe from start to finish. Committing that much time to creating a shape that my heart isn't in seems like time spent under strain... or time spent learning the stuff that I don't have a natural inclination to.

*sigh* You're right. I need to make a billiard. Humph.
Back to top Go down
sam a

sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:40 pm

i hear you man... but remember, a little discipline goes a long way.

UberHuberMan wrote:
Committing that much time to creating a shape that my heart isn't in seems like time spent under strain

think of it as time spent pressure cooking your skills Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Hube, I'm gonna be a partial devil's advocate here.

If I spent all of my time learning the classics before I started off on my own, I wouldn't be the guy I am today. I have spent a lifetime figuring out, usually on the sidelines, the end goal of my direction. I didn't have any of that pesky training to get in the way of my goals. At the same time, my road was difficult, lonely, criticized, atypical and results were questionable. What I learned from this was by talking to other people who had chosen a similar path in a more traditional manner, they too had a difficult, lonely, criticized, road with atypical results. Fancy that! The difference being they learned how to be instructed and I learned how to learn.

Now, that's a very generic and non-specific generality. I in no way am trying to off-put traditional or structured learning or method, I just do as I do. The similarities being practice, dedication and the willingness to learn, fail and progress (all one in the same, really...).

...on that note, make your blowfish. Make the ugliest, stupidest, lamest blowfish you don't know how. Laughing Hell, I will buy it from you. Just learn something from it. Go ahead and make a billiard, too, just to show yourself you can do it. All are fair. Just don't think you're going backwards, because you've already moved beyond the first steps here--you don't have to "retake" any classes, just keep learning, brother. Just keep learning.

...and be creative. If you think you can do it, you most certainly can.

Love the pipestache, by the way. Cool
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

sam a wrote:
think of it as time spent pressure cooking your skills Very Happy

Lol! I like that and will remember it. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Sam. Smile
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Hube, I'm gonna be a partial devil's advocate here.

If I spent all of my time learning the classics before I started off on my own, I wouldn't be the guy I am today. I have spent a lifetime figuring out, usually on the sidelines, the end goal of my direction. I didn't have any of that pesky training to get in the way of my goals. At the same time, my road was difficult, lonely, criticized, atypical and results were questionable. What I learned from this was by talking to other people who had chosen a similar path in a more traditional manner, they too had a difficult, lonely, criticized, road with atypical results. Fancy that! The difference being they learned how to be instructed and I learned how to learn.

Now, that's a very generic and non-specific generality. I in no way am trying to off-put traditional or structured learning or method, I just do as I do. The similarities being practice, dedication and the willingness to learn, fail and progress (all one in the same, really...).

...on that note, make your blowfish. Make the ugliest, stupidest, lamest blowfish you don't know how. Laughing Hell, I will buy it from you. Just learn something from it. Go ahead and make a billiard, too, just to show yourself you can do it. All are fair. Just don't think you're going backwards, because you've already moved beyond the first steps here--you don't have to "retake" any classes, just keep learning, brother. Just keep learning.

...and be creative. If you think you can do it, you most certainly can.

Love the pipestache, by the way. Cool

Thanks a lot, Kyle. I, too, have always been a "road less traveled" type and have always been surprised by the places it's taken me. I will definitely complete the blowfish. It may be ugly as sin and discordant but by God it'll get done.

I think that you and Sam are both correct here. I should make a billiard for all of the reasons stated. There's clear and significant value in it, and because of all things stated, I can only benefit from doing it. And so I shall!

I'll post photos when it's done sometime next year. Razz
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of the blowfish shape, and I just know you'll make a good one. Consider me as a paying adoptee when it gets done in 2014. Razz Razz Razz Cool
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:43 pm

A little photo update to the blowfish attempt. It's coming along pretty ok. Even if it doesn't wind up working out, the learning experience has been and is still excellent. Enjoy!

Blowfish Attempt Update
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:29 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
A little photo update to the blowfish attempt. It's coming along pretty ok. Even if it doesn't wind up working out, the learning experience has been and is still excellent. Enjoy!

Blowfish Attempt Update

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Blowfish almost finished. Have a look!

http://dshpipes.blogspot.com/2012/07/almost-there.html

BTW Kyle, nice avatar update. With all the moving I've been doing this month, I've had no time to enjoy the great outdoors. I have a feeling there are some serious hiking/camping trips on the horizon. Smile
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Darn fine looking blowfish. Can't wait to see pics of it once you finish.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Pfff, that was hardly serious--just a day trip, but it got the job done. Thinking about going back tomorrow. Cool

That blowfish looks like it'd love the Sierras... Twisted Evil I'd show it a good time. Cool
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 am

That looks great, David. I can't wait to see the finished product. Was this made with your new lathe, or was it something you had already in the works?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:55 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Pfff, that was hardly serious--just a day trip, but it got the job done. Thinking about going back tomorrow. Cool

That blowfish looks like it'd love the Sierras... Twisted Evil I'd show it a good time. Cool

I dunno, Kyle. That handle bar mustache, sunglasses, and your shifty looks sure don't say, "Your pipe is safe with me." Razz Laughing

Rest assured, if the guy who has a claim laid on this fish gives it up, you're the first guy I'll call. Wink

Ocelot55 wrote:
That looks great, David. I can't wait to see the finished product. Was this made with your new lathe, or was it something you had already in the works?

Thanks, Jessie! I've been working on this pipe on and off since the Chicago show, but I've used the lathe a lot to work the stem. It's made getting a flush fit and tight lines SO MUCH EASIER. However all the drilling and shaping on the stummel was done entirely by hand... and dremel. Razz

If all goes according to plan, this puffer will be complete by tomorrow evening. Pics will be forthcoming, of course. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: My Pipe Making Blog   My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:05 am

UberHuberMan wrote:

I dunno, Kyle. That handle bar mustache, sunglasses, and your shifty looks sure don't say, "Your pipe is safe with me." Razz Laughing

Rest assured, if the guy who has a claim laid on this fish gives it up, you're the first guy I'll call. Wink

Oh really? I'd love to talk to this guy. *knucklecrack* Twisted Evil

PS, this is a handlebar mustache:

My Pipe Making Blog - Page 2 A-man-with-a-handlebar-mustache

I sport what's known as the "horseshoe," the "trucker," or the "Hogan" etc. Cool Common mistake. Razz
Back to top Go down

My Pipe Making Blog
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: