HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bernard Zwiefacher

Go down 
AuthorMessage
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Bernard Zwiefacher   Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 pm

A friend of mine (my neighbor and "snuff mentor", Wulf) gave me a tin of this schmalzler a few weeks ago, deciding he didn't like it. He said anyone who's ever abused Robittussin would never be able to stand it. lol! Well, it seems I somehow skipped that chapter of an otherwise misspent youth, because I kinda liked it. It was unusual, but an interesting change of pace from my usual HDT and Gawith Apricot. Until yesterday. I was on a long drive, snuffing occasionally between pipes, when suddenly it hit me:
This stuff smells like I'm snorting some sort of HOUSEHOLD CLEANSER!! silent
It damn near made me sick. I knew I'd never be able to get that out my head, so there's one snuff that's not for me anymore. Anyone else have an experience of a snuff suddenly "turning bad" on them like this?

p.s: if anyone wants half a tin of Zwiefacher, they can look along side southbound U.S. 131 just north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Zwiefacher   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:49 am

Never had a snuff suddenly go bad on me... I've had snuffs lose their aroma through my own carelessness with the lid, but that just made them more boring, not offensive.

One theory: Schmalzers get their coarse, moist texture in part from some fat (Schmalz) in the mixture. If memory serves, an very old recipe someone had posted on SnuffHouse included beef tallow--today I have to guess it's a more stable vegetable oil/shortening. Maybe that's what went rancid in your snuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Zwiefacher   Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
If memory serves, an very old recipe someone had posted on SnuffHouse included beef tallow--today I have to guess it's a more stable vegetable oil/shortening. Maybe that's what went rancid in your snuff?

That's quite possible, but I really think it was just psychological. It's funny how the mind plays tricks like that, and smell has some powerfully subliminal effects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bernard Zwiefacher
Page 1 of 1