HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Seasonal Allergies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Seasonal Allergies   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I have only been a consistent pipe smoker for this past year.

Seasonal allergies have been a real battle for the past fifteen years. I was diagnosed as being allergic to oak trees and grass. In December, I all of a sudden realized I made it through a season with no allergy issues.

After a web search I found this article. http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/18/can-cigarette-smoke-help-allergies/

Has anyone else discovered the same cure? I am now trying to convince my non-smoking brother to give the pipes a try for his allergies. I bought some extra cobs today for the express purpose of getting more people into the fold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 pm

To hell with seasonal, I'm allergic to damn near everything. Mold. Dogs. Blooming things. Trees. Grass. Cats. Dust. Perfume. Cologne. If it's particulate matter and can either get in my eyes or my nose, I'm probably going to react poorly to it. Every day, all the time.

Strangely, when I smoke a pipe, I have averted more than one allergic reaction--yet other kinds of smoke, ambient from forest fires or woodstoves makes me sneeze, too.

When I tempted fate to pick up the pipe again, I had wondered how it would treat my lungs and nasal passages (...no I don't inhale, but if you think your lungs are not going to get at least a particle or two just from being in the same room as a smoking pipe, you're sadly mistaken...). I assumed maybe I could "toughen up" my airways a little by doing the exact opposite of some allergist suggestions: infusing my body to the offending allergens rather than living in a hermetically-sealed bubble with air purifiers, cleaning pretty much 24/7 and of course, no pets ever.

I own a chinchilla. I'm slightly allergic to her, however, after the first year (of seven) I've had her, I've become less and less sensitive to her. This was my theory: expose myself to the thing that offends. The body has to deal with it somehow, and being a paranoid mess, scared of an allergy attack at the wrong moment is stressful.

Is it working? I think so, but I'm on Singulair, loratadine and NasalCrom spray pretty much 24/7. If I quit all three of those, I'd probably be in big trouble.

All I know is, I can smoke a pipe and it has never once caused an allergic reaction, in fact, if an impending reaction is looming, it has helped calm it down.

At least I can do something in this world that's fun. I don't even bother telling doctors and allergists I partake in the pipe, because the anti-tobacco notions will pinpoint that as being the "number-one cause" of my issues even though I have about 300 number-one causes. Laughing I don't need that kind of argument/battle on my hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
This was my theory: expose myself to the thing that offends. The body has to deal with it somehow, and being a paranoid mess, scared of an allergy attack at the wrong moment is stressful.

When I was a kid, I have really bad allergies. The allergy shots I got was exactly that - controlled doses of the elements I was allergic to. Not enough to cause problems, but enough that by body would develop an immunity to them.

Seeing as that's exactly how the allergy shots work, i'm not surprised at all that this method worked for you, Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:44 pm

This past week farmers got out in the fields up here as it was so warm, and when we drove by one, the smell of dirt in the air got Cathy into a sneezing fit.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I've discovered that smoking tends to clear my sinuses. No explanation as to why. Perhaps I should read that article you posted. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Read the article. Gotta love that they mention a study where smoke was shown to decrease inflammation and then talk about how it's been proven over and over again that cigarette smoking is "detrimental" to people's allergic reactions.

As always, I wish they'd try this with different types of smoke, ala pipe, cigar, and cigarette and see what happens. Lots of luck there. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 pm

I will say this: cigarette smoke, ambient, of course (as I don't smoke the death sticks), does cause my allergies to go into a bit of a fit. Pipe smoke does not. Cigar smoke can make my lungs get a little asthmatic, usually if it's cheap, crappy turds someone is smoking...

Makes me wonder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

I heard years ago that tobacco smoke reduces sinus inflammation from allergies. This came from a doctor explaining why someone who quit smoking, suddenly developed problems they didn't have while smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Seasonal Allergies   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Dutch wrote:
I heard years ago that tobacco smoke reduces sinus inflammation from allergies. This came from a doctor explaining why someone who quit smoking, suddenly developed problems they didn't have while smoking.

I quit cigarettes early 2001. Cold turkey. Suddenly, I have recurring asthma and allergies (to this date), of which I suffered mildly as a child, and before quitting I never really suffered.

*shrug*

Thanks, science. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Seasonal Allergies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1