HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

De Ghosting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: De Ghosting   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 pm

just spent a whopping 12 bucks on a pipe... a large billiard that appears to be (originally) a store brand from a B&m in Arizona. Another knock-around pipe that I am sure I will love because, well, so far I have been disappointed in nothing at all.

Well, that being said, I don't see myself spending dollar 1 to get this thing professionally cleaned. In fact, as long as it doesn't have fungus growing in it, I feel like I got my money's worth.

To the point: Planning on "smoking the ghost" out of this one after a little salt and booze treatment, if necessary. Will prince Albert or carter hall do the trick? they seem to be mild OTCs with a good price point, and I really don't feel like using any of "the good stuff" if this is a lost cause (aka has dope in the bowl or something like that).

TLDR: your favorite "deghosting" tobacco?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 am

I've not owned an "estate" pipe but have changed tobacco's I smoke in my pipes over the years that I've smoked in them and usually after 2-3 bowls of the "new" tobacco I don't get any "ghost" of the previous tobacco smoked. But I'm not as discerning as some of the other conuseurs here, I've just smoked a pipe for 40+ years Razz Me, I'd just load the tobacco you want to smoke and light 'er up and go Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 am

Sane thoughts from monbla, as usual. Thank you for the reassurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 am

I wasn't sure it would be very easy, but I've recently tried to do a switch from Coniston Cut Plug to JackKnife Plug, and it's going well. I thought CCP's strongly aromatic and taste flavoring would require some kind of cottonball/salt treatment, but after the second bowl I'm at least to neutral but not yet getting much flavor from JackKnife Plug. I think the JNP's flavors will start to emerge in the next few bowls and that by the 5th bowl or so it will smoke normally.

But if I had to do it over I think I would go with a preliminary cottonball soak. Why suffer through bowls, why not smoke with flavor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Monbla's smoked a pipe for 40 years? I don't think he's ever mentioned that! Razz

The alcohol treatment can kind of break up any good cake that may or may not exist on an estate pipe, I've found. I usually try and smoke the pipe (after a good cleaning/reaming/sanitizing, of course) and find out what I'm up against before I do the cottonball (or salt) with alcohol trick.

Then again, that same cake may hold the evil you're trying to rid from the pipe.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:56 pm

I will admit, without trying to sound like a tobacco snob, that I have a very discerning palate. For this reason, I tend to be very picky about what I smoke in one pipe or another. I even smoke Va/Per blends in separate pipes than straight Va's and have gotten to the point where I will smoke light to medium English/Balkans in separate pipes than heavier English/Balkan blends. I will say that a couple of years ago, I got a tin of Hermit Tobacco Antique Cigar Leaf blend and it totally ghosted 3 of my pipes! To make matters worse, mid-way through the tin I discovered a large amount of rust and at that point, I had ghosted my pipes beyond any point of "exorcism". I tried reaming them to bare wood, multiple salt alcohol treatments, and even smoking strong burley blends out of them, but nothing worked. Recently, I had them sent to Walker Briar Works to be put in an Ozone Chamber. I have heard from multiple sources that the ozone treatment will totally wipe out any ghost in a pipe and while I have not gotten them back yet, I have high hopes. At any rate, I will report back next week when I receive them. (Crossing my fingers)

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Monbla's smoked a pipe for 40 years?

Yeah, and he looks like 'The Godfather'. (not a bad thing, Brother!)

Anyway, sound advice from Monbla, I have switched tobacco styles a few times in my 19-years of smoking a pipe (Yes, 19-years Kyle) and I never worried about de-ghosting either. After a good initial cleaning & reaming I'd go 4 or 5 bowls and no ghosting or problems at all. When I say good reaming, I do mean a GOOD reaming.

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:54 pm

IMHO almost nothing survives a half dozen bowls of Five Brothers. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Monbla's smoked a pipe for 40 years? I don't think he's ever mentioned that!

Started late...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: dougc905 wrote:   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 pm

dougc905 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
Monbla's smoked a pipe for 40 years? I don't think he's ever mentioned that!

Started late...

Better late than never Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm

A friend of mine bought a cob randomly from a head shop, and it apparently REEKED of hippie-stink, incense and lord knows what else. Apparently it had been there for years. I gave him some spare PS Proper English I had hangin' around and told him, "If this doesn't chase away the 'good karma' from this pipe, not much will..." So far, he says it worked a treat. It's all I had in my collection that had a set of real balls on it--glad it didn't let him down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 am

Rob... not trying to be assholey or anything but the GodFather will always be Thomas James, TJ, Cappo. no one else deserves the title.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12078-sad-news-for-members-of-the-old-knox-board
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am

How old is that pipe, Jefe? Most people don't realize this but 85 to 90 percent of a pipe's "ghost" will dissipate within 17 months of going unsmoked. Actually, I just made those numbers up off the top of my head, but there's some truth in there somewhere. The older the pipe, the less it should stink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:29 am

I have no idea what I am getting in to. It is stamped with the name of a B&M from Scottsdale, It could be a real piece o junk. I don't own a reamer, I don't know how to sanitize. I barely know how to clean my pipes. I use pipe cleaners every smoke and paper towels to get the gunk out from the mortise and tenons every 2-3 smokes.

I have a real solution that no one has come up with yet. Why didn't I spend the same 12 bucks for this crap-shoot and buy two COBS!!!!

I am already kicking myself, but per my "Natch Files" posts, I am going to use this for some aros and to be honest, I haven't tried any captain black. I feel like I am missing out on what the general public (read: not the neurotic collectors found on BoB) associate with "pipe tobacco" and I read someone in a different post that we all should feel obligated to smoke through a pouch of CH and PA, so maybe I will. Maybe this will be my OTC Pipe. Sounds appropriate: cheap pipe, cheap tobacco. A match made in heaven. I am probably going to turn this into a project when all I really need is to stop being neurotic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 am

puros_bran wrote:
Rob... not trying to be assholey or anything but the GodFather will always be Thomas James, TJ, Cappo. no one else deserves the title.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12078-sad-news-for-members-of-the-old-knox-board

Sorry PB and Brothers, this happened back when I had just joined the board, must've missed that one. Won't happen again. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 am

jefe1037 wrote:
I don't own a reamer,

You need to stop, DO NOT buy another pipe, as your NEXT purchase should be a GOOD reamer! Not only do you need to learn about tobacco's, you need to have the tools to keep your pipes in shape to smoke all the tobacco Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:51 am

monbla256 wrote:

You need to stop, DO NOT buy another pipe, as your NEXT purchase should be a GOOD reamer! Not only do you need to learn about tobacco's, you need to have the tools to keep your pipes in shape to smoke all the tobacco Razz

...if Monbla can't be the GodFather, I'm okay with "Benito," "Mussolini," "Benny," or something of that nature... Laughing

Though I do have to say, a good Kleen Reem or one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Savinelli-Fitsall-Stainless-Pipe-Reamer/dp/B005CBRR3U

Would do you well. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: kyle wrote:   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

...if Monbla can't be the GodFather, I'm okay with "Benito," "Mussolini," "Benny," or something of that nature... Laughing

Though I do have to say, a good Kleen Reem or one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Savinelli-Fitsall-Stainless-Pipe-Reamer/dp/B005CBRR3U

Would do you well. Cool

Just call me Jeffe since I live in a Bario here in Tejas Razz Try one of these. Not much more than 8oz of any good 'bac !

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4392
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
The older the pipe, the less it should stink.

And the same goes for the piper. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:15 pm

monbla256 wrote:
jefe1037 wrote:
I don't own a reamer,

This. I know you said you don't want to put any money into this, but you'll eventually need a reamer anyway so you may just want to make the (small) investment early. If you absolutely, positively, can't get a reamer, you could use some sandpaper...I've done it in a pinch and as long as I keep plenty of cake between the paper and the briar and use a fairly light hand, you can get some of the cake scaled back a bit. Then swab it out with some cleaners, salt/alc the sucker, and have a go at it.

I usually just smoke what I like when switching a pipe from blend to blend, but that's when I know I like the blend which left the ghost. If I'm dealing with an unknown, half a dozen bowls or so CH usually does the trick. If its still there, lather, rinse, and repeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks so much for all the help. I am going to get a reamer. Probs the senior, since it seems to be the "go-to" of so many brothers and I like the adjustable size rather than the exchanging of blades.
Jut to clarify, by not putting money into this pipe, I meant this pipe exclusively. I was not going to have a 12 dollar pipe sent away to be cleaned at a cost of three times that of the pipe itself. I am against wasting money, but I'm not cheap. The reamer is a necessary tool for your entire collection if you lack the knife skills of a pro carver, or so I gather. Updates should be soon, pending reciept of my new tool and pipe.

Thanks again, all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: De Ghosting   Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

A reamer is a good thing to have--good luck with it, let us know your thoughts when you've had a chance to put blade to bowl! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

De Ghosting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: