HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?   Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I think that I've enjoyed the erstwhile #414 more than any newfound blend in years...and years. Maybe it's just that it hit me at just the right point in my own 'taste preference progression thing' - lucky me! It's not overly complex...just another VA/Per/Turk...being Perique, bright flake, Turkish flake and bright Virginia ribbon...but it has a fantastic all day kind of straight flavor that just 'clicks'! The sweet bright VA's being balanced by the sour Perique and the tangy Turkish. It's a small sized ribbon/shredded cut, soft and easy to pack. Lights easily and evenly and burns readily but is managable with proper attention (as with amything of this cut a fairly constant light tamp is needed til the halfway point). It does especially well in deeper bowls but I think putting it into too small a bowl would be a sad thing. lol It's also easy to obtain (not a small thing any more) and for what counts today as low prices.

So let's finish by doing it this way:

1st star: availability (yes, it gets a star for just being there)
2nd star: low pricing (and another because I can afford it)
3 rd star: managability of the leaf during packing and smoking
4th star: interplay of excellent flavors

So, mixing the practical and the sublime...it comes up with a 4-star rating.

Note: over at the review site, DK hits this one spot on with his reveiw. Check it out.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I generally agree BH. Got some in recently and have been enjoying it. Still experimenting with which pipe it works best with and I'll keep your comments below in mind. So far it's been best in a deep bowl Savinelli. So you may be onto something.

Affirmative on the non-complex thing.Yet, it does have an easy going quality that invites slow contemplative puffing. And the moisture level is perfect for filling and lighting.

I've enjoyed this as the first of the day as well as an early afternoon smoke. Kind of a perfumy thing going on there too, but in a quiet and pleasant way.

Good recommendation!

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse wrote:
I think that I've enjoyed the erstwhile #414 more than any newfound blend in years...and years. Maybe it's just that it hit me at just the right point in my own 'taste preference progression thing' - lucky me! It's not overly complex...just another VA/Per/Turk...being Perique, bright flake, Turkish flake and bright Virginia ribbon...but it has a fantastic all day kind of straight flavor that just 'clicks'! The sweet bright VA's being balanced by the sour Perique and the tangy Turkish. It's a small sized ribbon/shredded cut, soft and easy to pack. Lights easily and evenly and burns readily but is managable with proper attention (as with amything of this cut a fairly constant light tamp is needed til the halfway point). It does especially well in deeper bowls but I think putting it into too small a bowl would be a sad thing. lol It's also easy to obtain (not a small thing any more) and for what counts today as low prices.

So let's finish by doing it this way:

1st star: availability (yes, it gets a star for just being there)
2nd star: low pricing (and another because I can afford it)
3 rd star: managability of the leaf during packing and smoking
4th star: interplay of excellent flavors

So, mixing the practical and the sublime...it comes up with a 4-star rating.

Note: over at the review site, DK hits this one spot on with his reveiw. Check it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?   Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Digging up old threads. BH your review (and others) on TR.com has me busting over this one. Just placed an order w SP. Looking forward to this and comparing to C&Did Orion's Arrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?   Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Great excavation there Nate! I keep hearing about this one, and I think I may have tried to replicate it based on reviews and list of constituents. Still have yet to actually get some from the source....

Guess I should get on the good foot and do the bad thing soon!

Once again, nice archeological dig there!

farao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?   Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

I agree with BH, I have a stock pile of this blend. It ages well and probably has the most substantial flavor profile of any Oriental forward mixture without Latakia that I have ever smoked. One of those blends that should be way more popular than it is, especially considering its periquey-ness. Perique seems to be all the rage lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Have I mentioned how much I like C&D Oriental Silk?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1