HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fearsrelax

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Hey All,

My name is Alex. I've been a forum watcher for a while now, and I decided to give in so that I could ask some questions.

I'm actually not a pipe smoker yet, I'm trying to find a shop in Toronto to buy a Missouri Meerschaum, and possibly a Brigham.

I'm always open to suggestions, especially at this point in time, haha. I also love talking to new people!

Thanks for your time fellas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 am

Welcome!
Buy a pipe, then smoke it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 am

Welcome to the BoB forums Alex! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Welcome to the forums!

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 am

Welcome to BoB Alex!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I'm really excited to get a pipe now. Is there any ones that you guys would suggest trying? I'm looking at getting a fairly cheap pipe to start off with.

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:56 am

Welcome aboard, Alex. Toronto is one of my favorite cities, even when the Red Wings are losing. Razz
I'm sure you'll hear this from a lot of the bros, but the perfect starter pipe is any cob from Missouri Meershaum. Best bargain in the pipe smoking world.

Last edited by George Kaplan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks George!

I've been looking around, but I can't find a shop that sells actual MM cobs. I think I'll give in soon and just buy one off of pipesandcigars.com.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Welcome Alex!! Buy two of the MM cobs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks!

Haha, yeah I figured I'd grab a handful just to try all of them out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:27 am

fearsrelax wrote:
Thanks!

Welcome, Alex!

Buying a few Cobs is a great place to start... Don't forget to buy a few different tobaccos to try as well! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:54 am

s.ireland wrote:
fearsrelax wrote:
Thanks!

Welcome, Alex!

Buying a few Cobs is a great place to start... Don't forget to buy a few different tobaccos to try as well! cheers

Thank you!

That might be a good idea... Haha. Any suggestions? I keep hearing/reading to start with aromatics, and I feel as though that may please the missus Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:07 am

For some reason new guys are steered toward aromatics. I think you'll find a lot of disagreement with that notion here. Guys wind up thinking that good tobacco is supposed to smell like a pastry shop and taste like burnt tongue. Do yourself a favor and start with something like Dunhill Early Morning or Frog Morton on the Town, or even plain old Carter Hall. Get to know what the meat tastes like before you pour on the sauce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 am

George Kaplan wrote:
For some reason new guys are steered toward aromatics. I think you'll find a lot of disagreement with that notion here. Guys wind up thinking that good tobacco is supposed to smell like a pastry shop and taste like burnt tongue. Do yourself a favor and start with something like Dunhill Early Morning or Frog Morton on the Town, or even plain old Carter Hall. Get to know what the meat tastes like before you pour on the sauce.

I was actually kind of weary about trying aromatics because I've heard they don't taste very good. I'll definitely check those out! Thanks for the suggestions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 am

fearsrelax wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

I was actually kind of weary about trying aromatics because I've heard they don't taste very good. I'll definitely check those out! Thanks for the suggestions!

Just be careful. What exactly are aromatics?? Well that question will get many answers. George recommended Frog Morton on the Town (vanilla flavor) and Carter Hall (some sort of casing) which are both great tobaccos but both DO have some flavoring or "casing" blah blah blah

I think most would agree with me when I say that there are good aromatics and bad aromatics. Good English and Virginia and very BAD English and Virginia haha

My personal recommendation: The MaltHouse Founders Reserve. It smells fantastic to both smoker and company, it tastes sweet but not overly so like the bad aromatics most wounldnt suggest trying.

Shoot me a PM I have some I'd be happy to send you along with a few other samples if you are interested in that sort of thing study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 pm

First rule of BoB: ALWAYS take the advice of the guy offering free stuff. Twisted Evil

Shane just correctly pointed out that two of those I recommended as non-aromatics do in fact have some added flavor, though so little you'd hardly notice. Without getting into a discussion here on what makes a tobacco an aro, I should clarify my point. Look for a blend that features the leaf, not the topping, and you'll be off to a good start. If the first words you see on the tin are something like "Razberry Custard Explosion!!!", leave it alone for now.
Also, two thumbs up for the Malthouse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
First rule of BoB: ALWAYS take the advice of the guy offering free stuff. Twisted Evil
"Razberry Custard Explosion!!!", .

You sending out samples of this one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

Don't need to. Just pour some cough syrup over some old pencil shavings. You'll get the same effect. To the original poster: I just remembered Haddo's Delight. Technically an aromatic, but you'd never notice. The missus might even like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fearsrelax

PostSubject: Re: A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:44 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
jefe1037 wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

Don't need to. Just pour some cough syrup over some old pencil shavings. You'll get the same effect. To the original poster: I just remembered Haddo's Delight. Technically an aromatic, but you'd never notice. The missus might even like it.

I'll definitely have to try that as well! Does it matter what type of pencil? Will HB2 work? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Hardy Hello From Toronto, Ontario :)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1