HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

GH Sweet Rum Twist

Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 am

My first attempt at describing a smoke so...

One of three twists from GH I ordered back in January. On arrival I opened the box and low and behold it looked like someone cleaned out the cat box and sent it to me. The aroma did little to convince me otherwise. I did smell rum, coconut, and black cherry, as well as some mystery funk of some kind. I sliced all three and allowed them a day to air out before packing them up to try later. Well later was today for the rum twist. On opening the tin I had put it in I could clearly smell good rum. Still a bit moist for my tastes, and that funk was still there. So I loaded up my Albertson petito and had at it. It packed nicely and the charring light was a delightful hit of rum sweetness and smell. The next light was anything but. The smoke was thin, blue, and acrid. I was smoking outside with a slight breeze and the smoke hung in my face no matter how hard I pushed it out. The taste was all tobacco. Not in a bad way just not what I'd expected. About 1/4 of the way into the bowl I had to break up the hard crust to let air in to the rest of the bowl. What a difference that made. I was rewarded with some very sweet smoke still lacking in body but much more pleasant. I'm not really sure what I think of this yet. Its more of a scented tobacco than an aro. Two hours later I'm still smelling this one in my mustache, very pleasant sweet and spicy. Not my first run in with rope tobacco and I can honestly say that its not for the meek. There is a good vitamin N fix there and if your not careful it will burn the hell out of your tongue. Sip it and it will treat you right. If anybody knows what that mystery smell is I would love to know. Its very chemical almost like ammonia, and yet its not.

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarsarge

cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

I like all the GH Ropes...Brown Bogie is my favorite. Pretty spot on review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 am

I'd try to either shred them finer or more coarse. I've had the experience you describe - of the top of the bowl forming a kind of crust that prevents a proper draw. It seems to happen more with VA flakes...maybe it's the sugars caramelizing or in the case of the ropes, the tars bubbling! lol But I've found, like you did that breaking the crust, or stirring it will right things for you. I've smoked quite a few of the G Ropes, etc. and the Rum is one of my favorites...and I guess I don't know how to interpret the term "funk" that you used. The ropes, twists, pigtails, etc. are indeed potent in terms of many attributes...aroma notes of their smokey curing...high N level...etc. And if pushed they will do the 'bubble bubble toil and trouble' dance in your bowl and turn nasty. Just back off a little and it might help. Also, these things are excellent for the DGT thing, so just put it down...for a while. My thoughts anyway.

GH Sweet Rum Twist D6bddf10GH Sweet Rum Twist 29400910GH Sweet Rum Twist 114e6110GH Sweet Rum Twist Ddb39b10GH Sweet Rum Twist Cf77ce10GH Sweet Rum Twist Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 am

Cigarsarge Thank you, I will have to track down some of this Brown Bogie you speak of.

Blackhorse I really don't know how to describe the odor I'm picking up. It's much more present in the Black Cherry Twist than the Coconut or Rum. My wife says it's a medicinal type smell like cough syrup. It in no way translates into the smoke at all. It's just the tin aroma that smells off putting. I haven't smoked ropes for 20 years now and I'm wondering why I ever stopped.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 am

I love the Rum twist, and the Whisky is also good. To me, however the Cocoanut is just bizzare...never tried the Cherry. But then, I refuse to smoke any pipeweed that even hints of cherry...just on principle (lol)8. The various twists and ropes and pigtails and such are all pretty much the same either brown or black weed...just spun to different diameters. So the pigtail which is about 1/4" diameter is the same as the brown twist unscented...etc. So if you've had one you've had the other. Pretty much anyway.

GH Sweet Rum Twist D6bddf10GH Sweet Rum Twist 29400910GH Sweet Rum Twist 114e6110GH Sweet Rum Twist Ddb39b10GH Sweet Rum Twist Cf77ce10GH Sweet Rum Twist Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Blackhorse

Had another bowl today. Cut much finer and rubbed out more. It burned much better and without the thick crust forming. I take it from your first post this is a straight va or a heavy va blend? Which would go a long way towards explaining why I wasn't getting it. I've spent most of my time on burleys and cavs. It was a much more well behaved smoke this time around.

Many thanks
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:33 am

HP -

You know, I'm really glad things worked well this time for you. I'd hate for someone, anyone, to grab some Gawith twist or rope or pigtail and walk away not liking it. To me, that would be a tragedy.

Artistic "moment" -

Consider what you've got there. You're smoking TRADITION! And, NO...this is not Fiddler on the Roof...it's Great Britain! Five humdred years of proud history. The Royal Navy...Admiral Lord Nelson...the French fleet barely visible through the fog, but surely out in the distance...and the gunnery mates loading the cannon (with a chunk of Sweet Rum Twist tucked between tooth and gum) for the next broadside!!! Man...that's what that stuff is! It's been around 4-ever and makes no apologies for being one of the baddest bites on the block. Try the straight Brown Irish Twist some time if you want to see what it's like without the edge taken off with the slight sweetening and light rum flavor.

OK - be that as it may...

Many Gawaith blends show very straight tobacco flavors - and I'd class the Sweet Rum and it's cousins like that. Also check out the Brown Bogie, the Dark Flake and Plug, the Brown Flake Unscented, Bob's Chocolate Flake (very popular) - also I also like the Lousiana and Rum Flakes. But that's just me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 am

I'm having my first bowl of Rum Twist... It's not burning quite right, but I'm sure it's in the preparation. I just sliced it into medallions and loaded it up without breaking it up much. I keep getting the crust that was mentioned in this thread. Next time I will slice and dice a bit, let it dry for an hour or so, and load it a little looser, maybe.

I have smoked about three quarters of a bowl and the nic is laying me low... in a good way. I really like the rum flavor, though it's not as pronounced as I would have thought, probably also due to my prep. I do like the natural tobacco taste in this twist. I definitely think it's one I need to learn how to smoke properly as I like what I'm getting from it right now.

One question, I am smoking it in a wide(ish) tobacco chamber... Chacom wide billiard. What do you guys with experience in twist tobaccos smoke yours in? Is a deep wide chamber preferred or do you look for a smaller chamber like folks generally smoke flakes in?

Any other tips?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 am

When I'm just smoking rope, I smoke it in smaller chambered pipes or a Falcon (most of which I would say are on the smaller side of medium). (I often smoke combos of 50% rope and 50% something else in Falcons or more medium-sized pipes). My prep of a rope (I use scissors): cut into lengths of about 1/3 of an inch, cut each sections into thirds, give it a quick rub to break it slightly apart. Pack lightly into pipe; wait about half an hour for the top to dry a bit and walk outdoors and light. When smoking a 50/50 mixture, skip the wait time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Simple Man

Simple Man

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks DrT. What do you like to mix it with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 am

More drying = less crusting.
Narrow bowl works best for me.
Smaller rather than larger bowl is better as well.
Prince is good too.
Smaller bowl = fewer trips to ER. lol
Cut in very thin medallions and lightly rubbed to a coarse shred - it shines.
Sweet Rum aspect is just enough to take the edge off the unflavored brown twist and is not intended to impart any really significant rum flavors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:28 am

Blackhorse wrote:
More drying = less crusting.
Narrow bowl works best for me.
Smaller rather than larger bowl is better as well.
Prince is good too.
Smaller bowl = fewer trips to ER.  lol
Cut in very thin medallions and lightly rubbed to a coarse shred - it shines.
Sweet Rum aspect is just enough to take the edge off the unflavored brown twist and is not intended to impart any really significant rum flavors.

lol!

Yes, the nicotine is pretty strong. Just got a bit lightheaded going for a cup of coffee. Laughing

Thanks for the tips. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:30 am

huffelpuff wrote:

One of three twists from GH I ordered back in January.  On arrival I opened the box and low and behold it looked like someone cleaned out the cat box and sent it to me.  The aroma did little to convince me otherwise. If anybody knows what that mystery smell is I would love to know.  Its very chemical almost like ammonia, and yet its not.

Jim

Jim, Ya know what they say, "if it walks like a duck"
As for the mystery smell I'd say it was most likely Cat pee. GH Sweet Rum Twist Chees179
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Simple Man

Simple Man

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:32 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
huffelpuff wrote:

One of three twists from GH I ordered back in January.  On arrival I opened the box and low and behold it looked like someone cleaned out the cat box and sent it to me.  The aroma did little to convince me otherwise. If anybody knows what that mystery smell is I would love to know.  Its very chemical almost like ammonia, and yet its not.

Jim

Jim, Ya know what they say, "if it walks like a duck"
As for the mystery smell I'd say it was most likely Cat pee. GH Sweet Rum Twist Chees179

lol!

I have been known to kinda like the cat pee in tobacco... hence, Semois. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:40 am

It very likely IS ammonia or some derivative. Ammonia is a classic 'off gas' of tobacco aging or fermentation I think...very prevalent topic on cigar boards...and shows very early in the aging cycle. If ropes or twist or whatever were packed away right after having been made and opened later, I would not be surprised at a small cloud of ammonia being released...you know, like those death gases from a mummy's tomb! A little airing out should take care of it I would think.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:43 am

Simple Man wrote:

Something like Brown Bogie I mix with anything. The Rum Twists work well (for me) with VaPers or Balkans
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Simple Man

Simple Man

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 am

DrT999 wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

Something like Brown Bogie I mix with anything.  The Rum Twists work well (for me) with VaPers or Balkans

Ah, great! I will give it a try soon. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:52 am

Blackhorse wrote:
It very likely IS ammonia or some derivative. Ammonia is a classic 'off gas' of tobacco aging or fermentation I think...very prevalent topic on cigar boards...and shows very early in the aging cycle. If ropes or twist or whatever were packed away right after having been made and opened later, I would not be surprised at a small cloud of ammonia being released...you know, like those death gases from a mummy's tomb! A little airing out should take care of it I would think.

Also a bi-product of urine.GH Sweet Rum Twist Chees179
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 1:29 am

Glad you're enjoying the Rum Twist SM. I have a special place in my heart for this one. I prefer a small narrow bowl for it as it tends to crust over for me in wider ones. Crusting is to be avoided at all costs. When it happens to me the first indicator is the smoke goes blue or greenish. When that happens break it up asap or there will be serious problems. As to the cat pee Ron viva la cat pee! It's great stuff pee or not!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Thread revival and I'm going to preach it!

Yesterday Trevor Talbert posted on IG him smoking Brown Bogie. Now I have BB but I also have GH Sweet Rum Twist and not a lot of it and decided, why not. Man it smokes soooooo good I had to go back for seconds. Cut the rope with the Boker Exskelibur knife nice and clean with 1/8 inch size and rubbed it out and stuffed full but not tight. There was a nice sweetness as I sipped away with minimal re-lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 pm

cheers I chewed a bit of that last week.....what a kick.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

GH Sweet Rum Twist Empty
PostSubject: Re: GH Sweet Rum Twist   GH Sweet Rum Twist EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Well broke the rum twist again and smoked in the new-to-me albatross 625. 3 coins, rubbed out, packed loosely. Got a big vitamin N hit this time. Not sure how I didn't get it before. I was beginning to think I was immune . . .

Great smoke watching the wind, rain and lightening on the front porch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GH Sweet Rum Twist
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: