HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Yesterday I got a chance to meet with Rusty, aka "fishnrust" at my local Tinder Box. He comes to Reno periodically for work from Vegas, and suggested we hang out when he made his way here. He made the arduous eight hour drive from Lost Wages rather than fly. I make at least half that drive frequently throughout the year, and it's a bleak one for much of the trip.

I walk in to the Tinder Box and I was pretty sure the dapper dude sitting next to the regular, Jerry (a massive, friendly local pipe fixture) was Rusty. He'd been sitting there for a while hanging out. No sooner did I sit down than he hands me a large paper bag, the kind with handles FILLED WITH TOBACCO. It's one thing when you've been bombed with an envelope of samples, but this guy went TO THE NINES. I got a quarter pound each of Squadron Leader, Margate, Trout Stream, Rolando's Own, and a generous portion of Best Brown Flake, a tin of GLP Lombard and Telegraph hill each... plus various other stuff.

I was literally embarrassed, in a good way, but I had nothing to bring. I barely have more than four ounces of any one thing, and much of what I have are samples courtesy the Brothers here--he isn't a drinker, I even wanted to bring a proper single malt, but would have been drinking alone! The guy's got five matching-shape Savinellis in a beautiful case and I'm carrying my first hand-carved pipe, my Danish Thrift and my Jirsa Blowfish in my ratty vintage pipe case (that the zipper just broke on...grrr...) held together with a rubber band. Laughing I'm gonna have to step up to the plate if this is the kind of thing my broke-ass is gonna have to face being friends with folks here. lol! I felt like the homeless guy at the neighborhood Christmas party.

We talked about everything from guns to jobs to bacca and pipes...before we knew it, the poor guy Eli working behind the counter started looking at the clock, as it was closing time--two hours, gone. Three or four bowls, gone.

Rusty, thank you. It was a real pleasure. We were just talking about the "old guard" at Knox, which many of us never experienced, but if BoB can repeat stories similar to this, especially for those of us able to visit one another, what a grand place to be. Cool

Last edited by Kyle Weiss on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Huzzah! I read this right after the BoB love fest thread. Boy I love this place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

SCORE! Sure makes your day when things like this happen, Kyle. I'm still blown away by the generosity of my Secret Santa. Like Kyle related to - i've gotta step up to the plate if i'm gonna hang with you guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 pm

No pictures?
C'mon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 am

Harlock999 wrote:
No pictures?
C'mon...

This wasn't a fashion show! Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno   Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I didn't mean I wanted to see pics of you! Mad
I wanted to see the matched set of Savinelli's...
Duh!
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Brotherly hang-out at the Tinder Box Reno
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1