HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Proper Draw

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TCnBham

Registration date : 2012-03-24

PostSubject: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I have been smoking pipes on and off for years, but am now really "getting into" the hobby, both because I'm trying to kick cigarettes (Nat Shermans), and I find the pipe generally more enjoyable now that I'm retired and can smoke mostly at home.

My question is probably going to be hard to answer, but I'm not sure that I'm packing my pipe firmly enough. I use the gravity feed method, filling the bowl loosely, tamping down gently, then repeat...usually takes three times to get the bowl all the way full. Doing it this way, I find that the draw on the pipe is not much different than when it has no tobacco in it at all (obviously there is SOME difference, but not a significant difference).

I have no real complaints about the pipe staying lit, though I do typically relight 3 or 4 times (at least) during a bowl, mostly because I just let it go out instead of puffing away. I have read that the draw should be like sipping liquid through a straw, but not so hard as a milkshake through a straw. I would say my draw is lighter than sipping liquid.

This is probably going to be hard to objectively describe, but I'd appreciate somebody giving it a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:11 pm

It sounds to me like you are doing it right.

You should have very little resistance to your draw, which should yield a cool, bite free smoke.

Todd

Last edited by taharris on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, agreed with Todd, there: sometimes the draw on a pipe is a bit constricted, other times packing can be the issue, but more often the latter. Hell, sometimes an errant piece of bacca gets in the draft hole when you load up, and that's irritating. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Sounds right to me. You might experiment with packing it slightly more and see what that does for you.

However, If that's how often your having to re-light (3-4 times), then worry no more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calipuffer

Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:23 pm

I will add my support of the other posts... I think you are already doing it right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TCnBham

Registration date : 2012-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback...not having any friends that I hang with who smoke pipes, I've just kind of winged it through the years...nice to know I can do at least one thing right! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I never really believed in that "sipping through a straw" rule. I seem to get my best smokes when I can just barely tell there's anything in the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 am

George Kaplan wrote:
I never really believed in that "sipping through a straw" rule. I seem to get my best smokes when I can just barely tell there's anything in the pipe.

Depends on the pipe and the blend in my case--cobs are always wide open, and I like the cigar leaf blends in those quite a bit. Having a bit of a tug or restricted draw helps me regulate what I'm doing when I'm reading or on the laptop outside, but open draws on a few flake pipes work perfectly, too. *shrug* Unless the draw is practically asthmatic I'm not put off by a less-than-open-draw. I figure it out, eventually... if it's too hot, I slow down, if I'm not getting enough smoke, I poke around a few holes to make sure it's not packed too tight, run a cleaner through the stem to make sure there's no snipers in the airway, and good to go. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipemaker

Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Proper Draw   Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 pm

My solution is to pack the pipe tight enough so that your ears pop on the first draw, then back off 3 notches.

This works best if your wife nags a lot, your kids practice their tuba lessons at home, or there are numerous gun shots at 3 am in your neighborhood.

Oh wait... what was the original question again?

Mike B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://my.execpc.com/~maddog92/Pipes2/pipes.html

Proper Draw
Page 1 of 1