HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hello from Portland, Oregon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
badfinger

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Howdy folks,

My name is Clancy and I'm new to the site. I've been piping for just over 3 weeks now (don't laugh too hard) and I found this site while researching pipe tobaccos. I got into smoking pipes through my online friends at another forum, and have been jumping into it head first. I'm finding that I really enjoy English blends and a few VA's and Burleys, but haven't tried much else.

One of the reasons I joined this site is to obtain information on tobacco preparations, as I am very interested in producing tobaccos for myself and my friends. When I say producing, I mean growing, curing, and fermenting/aging/pressing/smoking the tobaccos to produce specific flavors.

I also might add that I have been smoking cigars for over 15 years now, and run a relatively successful review site that reviews cigars and cigar culture. We are now in the process of adding pipes to the foray of what we do, as I love to write.

Thanks for taking the time to come read my intro, and I look forward to chatting with your community in the very near future!

Badfinger / Clancy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailytobacconist.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Welcome, Clancy! I hope you enjoy your time here, and good luck on the processing/blending! I'm sure we'll look forward to hearing about it

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 am

Hey Clancy! Welcome to BoB...from a bro that lives WAY down in Oregon City. Nice to see you here.

View user profile Online
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 am

Welcome to the forum! It's good to have you here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am

Welcome!
I like Portland, great beer drinking town. Good pizza too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Welcome!
I like Portland, great beer drinking town. Good pizza too!

You forgot Voodoo Doughnuts! pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 am

Welcome, Clancy. No need to laugh at your inexperience; in my short time here I've seen a few guys show up before they've smoked their first pipe at all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 am

Hello and welcome to BoB Clancy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badfinger

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! While I do love Portland, the wife and I are from different parts of the country and have still not become accustomed to the 9 months of rain we get here. We plan on moving to the Denver Metro area within the next 6 months to a year as we need more sunshine and my job allows me to work wherever I want (for the most part). I am a horticulturalist by trade and a writer by chance, but love to get my hands dirty.

Talk with ya'll soon!

PS....

Does anyone know if there are pipe events or get togethers in Portland? I'd love to meet some new faces!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

badfinger wrote:
Does anyone know if there are pipe events or get togethers in Portland? I'd love to meet some new faces!

Most of the pipe smokers I know in Portland aren't into tobacco. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Can't take the rain, eh? Wuss! If it didn't rain so much here it would be brown all over instead of green. Seems like a fair trade.

Jeez! I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years. Up there we got an average of 12 feet a year (the recored was 25 feet). Portland (with mean 3 feet), by comparrison seemed like Arizona. The thing most Oregonians like about our climate is that it is moderate...not too hot, not too cold, not humid, green due to the moderate rainfall, with few insects to plague one's fine summer evenings. All in all, nearly perfect. But then, as in all thing, we each have our own preferences. I also lived in Colorado for a short time and found it too 'arid' and cold...but that was for 6 months during the winter and spring. Both locations have beautifull women - so that worked out as an even deal. lol

You've heard the old saying, "If Seattle is the Emerald City, then Toto was a slug." All well and good, but those are just piddly little guys. One of the things I liked about Ketchikan was the giant slugs. Four feet from the snout to the point of their tail. Too bad they were too slippery to saddle up and ride. Woulda been slow...but smooooth! lol

View user profile Online
badfinger

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Can't take the rain, eh? Wuss! If it didn't rain so much here it would be brown all over instead of green. Seems like a fair trade.

Jeez! I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years. Up there we got an average of 12 feet a year (the recored was 25 feet). Portland (with mean 3 feet), by comparrison seemed like Arizona. The thing most Oregonians like about our climate is that it is moderate...not too hot, not too cold, not humid, green due to the moderate rainfall, with few insects to plague one's fine summer evenings. All in all, nearly perfect. But then, as in all thing, we each have our own preferences. I also lived in Colorado for a short time and found it too 'arid' and cold...but that was for 6 months during the winter and spring. Both locations have beautifull women - so that worked out as an even deal. lol

You've heard the old saying, "If Seattle is the Emerald City, then Toto was a slug." All well and good, but those are just piddly little guys. One of the things I liked about Ketchikan was the giant slugs. Four feet from the snout to the point of their tail. Too bad they were too slippery to saddle up and ride. Woulda been slow...but smooooth! lol

LOL. Yeah, we are dry heads. What can i say. My wife is also a stage 4 Crohns' Disease sufferer and has very low vitamin d and has become anemic due to the lack of sunlight in her life. We are basing our move on that and the fact that her sister is also moving to Colorado, and they both have new babies to raise, and want to do it near each other. I personally LOVE rain, although we do get a bit more than I enjoy. Growing up in Boise, I'm used to dry and cold winters.

Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Sir. Hope all goes well with you move.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Welcome Clancy, the idea of growing and producing your own pipe tobacco is awesome...good luck with that man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Clancy - it sounds like you've got some important reasons to get out from under the clouds. Best of luck re: the move, the agriculture and a major improvement in your wife's illness. I think it goes without saying that a positive future for you here is assured!

View user profile Online
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm new around here as well, and pleased to make your acquaintance. Whenever you make it to Denver, Edward's will prove a delight where B&M tobacconists are concerned, I suspect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crusader Pipes

Registration date : 2012-02-17

PostSubject: Welcome Cancy   Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Welcome ! Your growing and processing tobacco is of great interest to myself and I'm sure, many on this forum ! I look forward to hearing your adventures in growing when you get settled. My prayers are with you for you and your wife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://timbeersscrimshaw.com/
badfinger

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 pm

GrampaGrossbart wrote:
I'm new around here as well, and pleased to make your acquaintance. Whenever you make it to Denver, Edward's will prove a delight where B&M tobacconists are concerned, I suspect.

Thanks, I'll keep that name in mind when we head over soon to check on property.
Back to top Go down
badfinger

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Crusader Pipes wrote:
Welcome ! Your growing and processing tobacco is of great interest to myself and I'm sure, many on this forum ! I look forward to hearing your adventures in growing when you get settled. My prayers are with you for you and your wife.

Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hello from Portland, Oregon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1