Leafy Bulldog

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 am

herbinedave wrote:
You gotta love birds eye grain on a very unique interpretation of a classic and venerable shape. I like your DOG!!!! Good luck in the KC Pipe show!!! cheers

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 am

Mr. Doody wrote:
What a gorgeous pipe, sir. Kudos! If I were a judge, I'd just declare the contest over before it started and hand you the prize!

Good luck at the event!

Be well,
Doody

Thanks Doody. Maybe you could sign up last minute as a judge Wink
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 am

Great pipe! I second calling it a Bull Whale.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 pm

As an unabashed bulldog fan, I love that pipe. Seriously, seriously awesome.

I like the name Bull Whale, as well...but it kinda looks more like a Great Hornbill, to me.

Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 Doppelhornvogel-09
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:16 pm

What have I been telling you, Brian! You make a damn nice pipe. And yes to all you who are wondering, Growley pipes are amazing smokers (I own three).

I might have to enter into a little friendly competition with you and go for the pipe carving contest myself. We'll see.

Great job, Brian. Now if only I could get half the attention you get for my pipes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Growley wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Wow! cyclops Every angle of that pipe is a surprise and delight. Well done, sir.

Thanks George! Hey, I grew up near KZoo. Was born and raised in Jackson.

No kidding! When I was a kid, My folks would take us to Jackson to the Space Center and this really cool ice cream shop. Monbla and Kyle are cracking me up on this thread!
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:54 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Growley wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Wow! cyclops Every angle of that pipe is a surprise and delight. Well done, sir.

Thanks George! Hey, I grew up near KZoo. Was born and raised in Jackson.

No kidding! When I was a kid, My folks would take us to Jackson to the Space Center and this really cool ice cream shop. Monbla and Kyle are cracking me up on this thread!

In my 18 years in Jackson I don't think I ever went to the space center. That's really odd because it's not like Jackson is so loaded with stuff to do that it just got pushed to the back of the list. Proves to me once again, that one needs to be a "tourist" of their own town as well as others.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 pm

idbowman wrote:

I like the name Bull Whale, as well...but it kinda looks more like a Great Hornbill, to me.

Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 Doppelhornvogel-09

Wow...now that's a serious bird!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 pm

idbowman wrote:

So... Bull Horn then? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 pm

idbowman wrote:
I like the name Bull Whale, as well...but it kinda looks more like a Great Hornbill, to me.[/img]

Ohio has some really weird birds.
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Thats one beautiful job. not to change it from a bulldog but I would call it a rocking rhodesian. I think all rhodesians are bulldogs but all bulldogs are not rhodesians. DOIES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE??? MIKE
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 pm

SPUD 15 wrote:
Thats one beautiful job. not to change it from a bulldog but I would call it a rocking rhodesian. I think all rhodesians are bulldogs but all bulldogs are not rhodesians. DOIES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE??? MIKE

It does to me. A Rhodesian is a class of bulldog often defined by it's rounded non-paneled shank. I kind of like that name.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 pm

So, the second dream I had about that pipe, just last night, it actually told me "no" to my sultry advances, and that I wasn't its type.

Figures, what a prima donna. Now I'm heartbroken.

Cool

Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
So, the second dream I had about that pipe, just last night, it actually told me "no" to my sultry advances, and that I wasn't its type.

Figures, what a prima donna. Now I'm heartbroken.

Cool

I just recently switched my briar suppliers to one who is supposed to be the best. That's what I get for using more expensive wood I guess. Upity pipes.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Growley wrote:

I just recently switched my briar suppliers to one who is supposed to be the best. That's what I get for using more expensive wood I guess. Upity pipes.

*sigh* Ah, spring time, when a boy's fancy turns to pipes that won't have him. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 pm

I am a fan of the Bull whale name and she is a beautiful pipe even if she is "upity" drool . You have some serious skill my MI/AL freind.

From a strange ohio bird
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 pm

BuckeyeBoy34 wrote:
I am a fan of the Bull whale name and she is a beautiful pipe even if she is "upity" drool . You have some serious skill my MI/AL freind.

From a strange ohio bird

Hey, I lived in OH for about 5 years as well, in a little town called Cedarville, near Springfield, near Dayton. Yes, it's that small that I've got to list two other "near by's" just to get you close.
Back to top Go down
ArleighBerg

ArleighBerg

Registration date : 2012-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd buy that in 2 seconds. I love it just like it is. As I looked at it I wondered (if you ever carve this shape again), what if the top of the shank was scalloped a bit, leaving a center "hump" along the top of the shank? I can see it perfectly in my mind and as I sketched it, it began to feel like the underside of a lobster tail. The center is a convex hump along the length of the shape, while the edges fan out a bit.

Sorry if that's confusing.

Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 Jlgarc10
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 pm

ArleighBerg wrote:
I'd buy that in 2 seconds. I love it just like it is. As I looked at it I wondered (if you ever carve this shape again), what if the top of the shank was scalloped a bit, leaving a center "hump" along the top of the shank? I can see it perfectly in my mind and as I sketched it, it began to feel like the underside of a lobster tail. The center is a convex hump along the length of the shape, while the edges fan out a bit.

Sorry if that's confusing.

Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 Jlgarc10

Wow, that drawing is fantastic...much better than the stick figure I drew up in coming up with the design. Are you a graphic designer? Wanna design all my pipes? Laughing If I had that drawing when I was making this it would have been much nicer.

I totally get where you're going with the hump too. I might have to try it on one and see how I like it. It would significantly add to the carving requirements though.

I'm definitely not quite finished with the shape. I've got a few more tweaks I might make in the next gen so to speak.

You might get a chance to buy it...and I'll give you more than 2 seconds! If it doesn't win, or sell at the pipe show, it gets shipped back to me. I'd love to keep it, but sales = more briar = more pipes!

Thanks for honoring me with this fantastic drawing!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 12:05 am

BADAZZ!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 am

Now putting that convex scallop on that pipe would take it from Fantastic, to phenomenal. That would make for a nice pair of pipes, a BullWhale Convex Scallop, and a BullWhale Concave Scallop. I would buy a pair of those myself. while the distinction would be small, it is enough to make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye as a set. I think that shape is unique enough to catch on and be copied, like the Blowfish was.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:33 am

A "Rocking Eskimo Dog"!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 am

I think I've finally settled on a name. Initially it reminded me of a cross between a leaf and a bulldog, but now I'm seeing that it looks more like a cross between a Eskimo and a Rhodesian. I was talking with Rad Davis and he mentioned "Eskidesian" and it stuck with me.

So, Eskidesian it is!
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Leafy Bulldog   Leafy Bulldog - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Sounds like a winner to me.
Back to top Go down

Leafy Bulldog
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: