My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Empty
PostSubject: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 pm

This is the third stand I've made. It just stood to reason after I acquired three new Peterson Bulldogs, a trio that I've lusted over for a long, long time - that I needed a special stand for 'em...am I right? Well, since we define these things for ourselves...the answer is obviously yes.

The only other thing I'll say is that I make a lot of 'stuff'. And one of the quiding principles of the way I approach these things is that I use scraps to make nice things...wood from the bin...brass from a sawn up chunk a friend gave me...a piece of antler also given me by a friend. And it takes time. I do one part and then look at it for a long time...sometimes weeks. I had a totally different top rest made for it. All done. But I tossed it in favor of the antler...which when it came to me looked like it was about 300 years old. I'd never worked with antler much before...and the photos below absolutely don't do this stuff justice. I sanded the heck out of it and then went at it with the buffer. Gents...this stuff, up close and to touch and feel it...it's like mammoth ivory! It looks FANTASTIC!

What took the longest? The damn Celtic design on the Rosewood. Jeez, I hate doing that...but it really needed to be there.

OK...blah, blah, blah...here it is:

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand PeteStandandStemCleaning004

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand PeteStandandStemCleaning008

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand PeteStandandStemCleaning009

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand D6bddf10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand 29400910My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand 114e6110My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Ddb39b10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Cf77ce10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Dd692012My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Dammit you do nice work! That's a fine pipe rest, to be sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Very cool! I really like the antler and the Celtic design. A great looking stand for three great looking pipes cheers
Back to top Go down
itsKot

itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Wow! That thing is fantastic! Better keep all your future goodies to yourself or some people around hear may start having you work for them!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 pm

They can't afford me. I do almost everything with hand tools...old world techniques...and an item like this could easily have 30 to 40 hours in it. If you do the math, it soon becomes apparent that not many guys want to pony up what a piece like this would cost. The fact that it's a singular item usually doesn't seem to register. Well, c'est la vie.

BTW: I very much appreciate your kind words and those of my other bros as well.

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand D6bddf10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand 29400910My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand 114e6110My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Ddb39b10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Cf77ce10My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Dd692012My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
kieveryuu

kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 pm

BH, that is a well executed idea for three really nice pipes. Very nicely done. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://type29a.com
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:21 am

Nice craftsmanship Blackhorse! Cool
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 am

Very nice! A perfect rest for your trio. Impressive work.

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 am

Blackhorse wrote:
They can't afford me. I do almost everything with hand tools...old world techniques...and an item like this could easily have 30 to 40 hours in it. If you do the math, it soon becomes apparent that not many guys want to pony up what a piece like this would cost. The fact that it's a singular item usually doesn't seem to register. Well, c'est la vie.

BTW: I very much appreciate your kind words and those of my other bros as well.

You sell yourself waaay tooo short! Jump on the "Artisan" bandwagon and you'd be able to quit your day job Razz But on a more realistic note, I REALLY like this stand, better than the "Samari" one you showed previously. The contrasting fronts and "celtic knot" carving were THE touch along with the brass P and antler. All in all a very nice and well designed and executed piece of work PERIOD Razz
Back to top Go down
DustyRoundup

DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

They already said it.
But , Damn , thats Really Nice work.!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 am

I was just hoping that Peterson's wouldn't sue me for using their pee...er, well, you know what I mean! Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Hater

Hater

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 am

I just wanted to come in and say that that stand is totally bad ass.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:17 am

Well done BH!! The brass work is especially nice!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 am

Knocked it out of the park, Blackhorse, once again!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 am

The stand is beautiful.

The pipes you chose to put in it made it unbelievably stunning.

The talent here at BoB humbles me. Nice, nice work. cheers cheers cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks...all y'all. Very kind. It begs the question...which came first, the Petes or the stand. Whatever.

Re: the 'brasswork'. Yeah, that was nearly the easiest part of the while shebang. Find a nice image on the internet, print it the right size, put contact cement on the metal and on the back side of the paper...let dry...then slap 'em together. Drill appropriate holes with a cool DeWalt LiIon cordless, connect the dots with a good coping or jeweler's saw, grind and file edges smooth with dremel & sanding drums, then Swiss pattern half round needle files...sand til you cry...then buff. Simple. The real trick is getting the right image to start.

The "P" is tabbed both above and below, into the Rosewood and antler, about 3/8" and epoxied into place with DevCon. I think the brass would warp and twist before those gave...and it's a good 3/16". I'm very lucky to have good friends that are willing to dump good scrap material on me now and then.

Again...thanks. It means a lot to me.

Back to top Go down
sam a

sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:48 pm

beautiful work!
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
...sand til you cry...

Razz
Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I second what all of the other Brothers have said and add very very impressive! You have some skills.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

It's funky, but cool.
On it's own, I couldn't tell if I liked it, but once the pipes were in place, the whole thing came together.
Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Whew! That was close! lol

BTW: I've always wanted to ask you where that index finger was just before the photo was taken.

Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:57 am

Sweet! cheers
Back to top Go down
roogles

roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:49 am

Harlock999 wrote:

On it's own, I couldn't tell if I liked it, but once the pipes were in place, the whole thing came together.

I had a similar thought to this before I saw the photo with the pipes on it... with nothing for size comparison, I thought it looked HUGE and I imagined the pipes would look very tiny on it.

I also agree that it looks perfect with the pipes on it! I'm extremely impressed with the wood carving on the base!

Back to top Go down
http://blog.roogles.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 am

His index finger was in a pie that wasn't quite cool yet, and he got a bit miffed, as you can see. Cool
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand   My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 am

Quote :
His index finger was in a pie that wasn't quite cool yet, and he got a bit miffed, as you can see.

Oh, I ain't even going anywhere NEAR that!

Back to top Go down

My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: