Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello all. I wanted to post some more of my work for you all to see. This is a Dublin in which I tried a new "rustication" approach. The grain was actually really nice, but I just had this vision of this pipe moving or bending on it's own so to speak. I kept this one for myself and enjoy it quite a bit. It has a large conical bowl and holds a good bit of tobacco.

I call it the "Elephant's Knee" after that odd shaped pipe called the "Elephant's Foot". To me this actually kind of looks like an Elephant's knee.

Take a look:

Elephant's Knee IMG3076-L

Elephant's Knee IMG3073-L

Elephant's Knee IMG3077-L

Elephant's Knee IMG3071-L

Elephant's Knee IMG3072-L

Thanks for looking.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
kieveryuu

kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I like it. Cool

Nicely done.
Back to top Go down
http://type29a.com
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Whoa! Wait a minute here, fellas.

Before I pipe like that can be displayed here on BoB it must be sent in for Testing and Certification. We can't just allow any pipe to be shown here without careful hands-on examination and determination of smoking qualities. Cool

PM me and i'll give you the address to send it to for 'Testing'. Elephant's Knee 710492
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

And you didn't even mention the "Elephan't Trunk" stem design!?! I love it!

Elephant's Knee D6bddf10Elephant's Knee 29400910Elephant's Knee 114e6110Elephant's Knee Ddb39b10Elephant's Knee Cf77ce10Elephant's Knee Dd692012Elephant's Knee Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
And you didn't even mention the "Elephan't Trunk" stem design!?! I love it!

I guess I never thought of it that way... Good Catch.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Oops! Looking back at your photos - the second one down looks like one side of the button was kind of split to make it look like the ti; of an Elephant's trunk. I guess it was just a play of light/shadow/reflection and isn't really cut that way. Sorry.

Elephant's Knee D6bddf10Elephant's Knee 29400910Elephant's Knee 114e6110Elephant's Knee Ddb39b10Elephant's Knee Cf77ce10Elephant's Knee Dd692012Elephant's Knee Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm

At first I wasn't sure if I liked. Then as I scrolled down, I saw how carefully the "wrinkles" went with the pipe, and appreciate that even some of the grain has been allowed to come through. It's funky, but it's a winner--I like it. I also thought it looked more trunk-like, with the bit being the tip. Cool
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Oops! Looking back at your photos - the second one down looks like one side of the button was kind of split to make it look like the ti; of an Elephant's trunk. I guess it was just a play of light/shadow/reflection and isn't really cut that way. Sorry.

Yeah, I like the natural light outdoor shots to show the shine...but it does play with the shapes a bit sometimes. I've just started using a light box sort of set up to get more accurate pictures.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
At first I wasn't sure if I liked. Then as I scrolled down, I saw how carefully the "wrinkles" went with the pipe, and appreciate that even some of the grain has been allowed to come through. It's funky, but it's a winner--I like it. I also thought it looked more trunk-like, with the bit being the tip. Cool

Honestly, I didn't know if I liked it at first either. It took me a while, but it really grew on me. You can imagine how it feels to hold it. It definitely has some tactile value. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I must say I Love it, I love the deep carving detail, looks like it was a lot of work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm

I like it.
The wrinkly rustication kind of reminds me of a snuffed out cigarette butt.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 am

H999 said:

Quote :
"kind of reminds me of a snuffed out cigarette butt"

High praise indeed. Growley...you must be so proud. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Mr. Doody

Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:05 am

stunning, stunning, stunning, sir! kudos. enjoy it!

doody.
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 am

Harlock999 wrote:
kind of reminds me of a snuffed out cigarette butt.

That's alright, Growley. What else would you expect for someone who has Kent as their avatar... lol!
Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

Great looking pipe but to me it looks more like the trunk IMHO. MIKE
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 am

Blackhorse wrote:
H999 said:

Quote :

Proud indeed, like a mother who gave birth to an ugly baby. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 am

Growley wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:
H999 said:

Quote :

Proud indeed, like a mother who gave birth to an ugly baby. Very Happy

For mothers, there are NO ugly babies Razz I like EVERYTHING about that pipe! Ya done good cheers
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 am

[quote="monbla256"][quote="Growley"][quote="Blackhorse"]H999 said:

Quote :
For mothers, there are NO ugly babies Razz I like EVERYTHING about that pipe! Ya done good cheers

That is totally true. It was the only analogy I could think of.

Like a mother who never gives birth to an ugly baby, I wish I could say I've never made an ugly pipe, but I've made some UGLY pipes. My first one looked terrible. I named it Knuckles.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

Knuckles is good. I like knuckles. Just don't name one, "Dick"!

Back to top Go down
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 am

Another impressive pipe from you Growley!! Very nice and It does look more like an elephants trunk to me but no matter what you call it, its beautifly crafted.
Back to top Go down
smokeyjay

Registration date : 2012-06-25

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Elephants knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 am

That's a great looking pipe. Good job sir!
Back to top Go down
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 am

Cool looking pipe. Nicely done! Just don't continue this anatomical vein. We don't want to see the "Elephant's butt" pipe.
Back to top Go down
ruraldean

ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Interestingly, many posts go from "eeeeeuuuwww" to "aaaahhhh" in a short space. My reaction was the same initially, not sure whether I liked it. I should know better - like a good tobacco, a good pipe might take a while to get to know. This took 30 seconds for me to like, and another 15 for me to love. Good work.
Back to top Go down
http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com
Growley

Growley

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm

ruraldean wrote:
Interestingly, many posts go from "eeeeeuuuwww" to "aaaahhhh" in a short space. My reaction was the same initially, not sure whether I liked it. I should know better - like a good tobacco, a good pipe might take a while to get to know. This took 30 seconds for me to like, and another 15 for me to love. Good work.

Ha, it's funny, I wasn't sure I even liked it at first. I ended up keeping it because I figured no one would want to buy it. Now it's one of my favorite smokers. The odd rustication offers an interesting tactile experience. It probably won't be added to my "catalogue" of go-to shapes, but it was fun to make once.

Thanks for the compliments.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
WizardOfAZ

Registration date : 2012-06-29

Elephant's Knee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elephant's Knee   Elephant's Knee EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 am

I think it's unique and classy. Loved it from the start! Keep them interesting. Don't succumb to usual and boring. Great job!
Back to top Go down

Elephant's Knee
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: