HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share
 

 Black XX Rope and other twists

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ofafeather



Location : Hudson Valley, NY
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi, all. Smoked my first rope yesterday. SG Black XX. I was a little wary at first, because of the reported intensity of the nicotine power. I popped the tin which included one long section of the twist and two short ones. I took one of the small pieces, sliced it up with a sharp knife, rubbed it out and let it sit for about an hour. I loaded up an estate Greenwhich Dublin which had just arrived from an ebay win. The first few puffs were nice and full, not too strong. Overall, I enjoyed this tobacco. It was consistent it taste throughout the bowl and had many cigar like tones. My one complaint is that I had difficulty keeping it lit. I may have to cut it finer. Any other suggestions?

How does this compare to the G&H ropes? I'm eager to try some of the Sweet Rum Twist and maybe even the Cherry Twist. Since the G&H is only available in bulk how does it do in jars and does it benefit significantly from aging?

Any thoughts on other ropes and twist available in the US?

Thanks.

Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Age : 61
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Ropes often take multiple relights. Before I really had good success smoking ropes I often loaded a parfait. Different layers of burley blends with a couple layers of ropes. Made for some good smokes.

_________________
Black XX Rope and other twists Icon_sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
howellhandmade



Registration date : 2007-12-11

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm

True, or mix in a little mild burley for a more consistent burn. A finer cut on the rope helps a bit, but ropes are just dense, oily stuff. G&H ropes are favorites of mine, my top picks being Brown Bogey and Sweet Rum Twist. Maple Twist is good, too -- it's not maple-y in the same way that, say, Stokkebye's Luxury Twist was, it's just a shading in a strong, cigary flavor. In fact, it occurs to me that this cigary aspect is common to several of my favorite tobaccos, including G&H Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky, Belgian Semois, and, of course, the previously mentioned ropes. Peterson's Irish Flake has the same thing going for it.

Jack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warwick



Location : Massachusetts
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 am

ofafeather wrote:
How does this compare to the G&H ropes? I'm eager to try some of the Sweet Rum Twist and maybe even the Cherry Twist. Since the G&H is only available in bulk how does it do in jars and does it benefit significantly from aging?

I found the GH and SG black ropes (unflavored) to be fairly similar. I've never taken a liking to either one.

SG Brown #4 vs. GH Brown Twist/Brown Bogey are much more distinctly different in flavor. All quite good.

The only flavored rope I've tried is the Brown Whiskey...it was just ok....not something I've ever ordered again.

Finely chopping helps the relight problem, but drying seems to help more. Still, it seems to be an issue with ropes.

I don't know if the ropes will benefit from aging, but I think they will keep well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Age : 64
Location : Piedmont, North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 am

i've smoked a good bit of GH Brown Irish X and Happy Brown Bogie and about a third of that amount of Black Irish X. The Bogie is the clear winner as regards flavor compared to Brown Irish X. Both are stiff HO weedages.

Black Irish X is very flavorful-ditto HO.

I smoked a sample of SG Brown #4, and although it was very flavorful, it totally lacked nicotine when compared to Brown Irish X. As their Black XX is the same tobacco except baked, I'd wager that it is not an HO, either.

As regards slicing/mincing, don't go too fine or you'll be sucking in bits of rope. Leave some chunks about 1/4" in diameter. Line the bottom of the bowl with the to dispermit bits of rope in the airway.

Brown Irish X has potency but lacks flavor; this can be overcome by doing a 50/50 mixture of it and the Bogie, which has potency and a great deal of flavor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morleysson

morleysson

Location : Pennsport, Phila PA
Registration date : 2007-12-22

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 am

I've recently started to enjoy the Kendall Twist or pigtail from G-H. It is a tasty but heady smoke, one of those really best left to a mature palate. But, tasty, and full flavoured. I have also had the black rope and find it sweeter but not nearly the same strength as the brown rope or the pigtail ( a thinner version of the rope). Sharp knife and little coins in a smaller bowl pipe, and the smoker is rewarded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EvanS

EvanS

Age : 58
Location : Hacienda Heights, CA
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 am

I just came across this thread and figured I'd throw in...

The black ropes to me are too...well....black for my tastes. Just seemed a little oily. But and overnight DGT really brings out a deep spiciness in my experience.

As for the Brown's, I agree with the above in that Brown Bogie is a real winner, while the Black Cherry, Maple and Whiskey twists are also very good. They don't REALLY taste like the flavoring they are named for but there is that little something that knocks the edge off.

One thing I think it might be interesting for y'all to try. I see comments about slicing the ropes thin for better burn. I took a flier one day and decided to cut the coins about 1/4" thick and not so much rub it out as unfurl it. I let it dry...good and dry, really dry. Took those long strips of unrolled ribbon and shoved it in the pipe. WOW what a difference. This chunks of leaf burning and lighting each other made for a much more complex smoke...always changing. Just kinda interesting. But I can't emphasize enough...let it dry a lot for this method bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Age : 52
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Ok, a little thread revival. Now that i have 3 tins of Black XX I thought I would finally crack one and try it.

The rope is black, stoved Virginia that resembles a turd from a dog with an upper GI bleed. The smell reminded me of steak. Cut off a couple of coins and packed loosely and lit up. Straight up it tasted like a greasy steak off a charcoal grill. Same room note from other folks in the lounge. About halfway through the bowl the vitamin N kicks in . . . this is not for the faint of heart. I usually am not affected by nicotine but this one almost makes you drunk. Highly recommend eating a full meal before preferably a 16oz porterhouse steak.

Afterwards I went outside and got some fresh air and sipped a soda to get my bearings back. It was unlike any tobacco I have ever had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 10:16 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Ok, a little thread revival.  Now that i have 3 tins of Black XX I thought I would finally crack one and try it.

The rope is black, stoved Virginia that resembles a turd from a dog with an upper GI bleed.  The smell reminded me of steak.   Cut off a couple of coins and packed loosely and lit up.   Straight up it tasted like a greasy steak off a charcoal grill.  Same room note from other folks in the lounge.   About halfway through the bowl the vitamin N kicks in . . . this is not for the faint of heart.  I usually am not affected by nicotine but this one almost makes you drunk.   Highly recommend eating a full meal before preferably a 16oz porterhouse steak.

Afterwards I went outside and got some fresh air and sipped a soda to get my bearings back.  It was unlike any tobacco I have ever had.

Yah, it's spunky!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
MisterE

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Seems like it's HO night on the board. The most over the top rope I've tried is GH Black Irish X. It has creosote in it I think. drunken

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alottalatakia

Alottalatakia

Age : 51
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2019-04-05

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
GeoffC wrote:
Ok, a little thread revival.  Now that i have 3 tins of Black XX I thought I would finally crack one and try it.

The rope is black, stoved Virginia that resembles a turd from a dog with an upper GI bleed.  The smell reminded me of steak.   Cut off a couple of coins and packed loosely and lit up.   Straight up it tasted like a greasy steak off a charcoal grill.  Same room note from other folks in the lounge.   About halfway through the bowl the vitamin N kicks in . . . this is not for the faint of heart.  I usually am not affected by nicotine but this one almost makes you drunk.   Highly recommend eating a full meal before preferably a 16oz porterhouse steak.

Afterwards I went outside and got some fresh air and sipped a soda to get my bearings back.  It was unlike any tobacco I have ever had.

Yah, it's spunky!

Indeed! You found perfect definition! Rope tobaccos most of times are well outside the common realm of flavour profiles we are used to...Oily, Dark, Creosotish, Sour, spunky..! And they work wonderfully in blends adding that "Je ne sais quoi" that is very intriguing. I love that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.behance.net/arturillustrator
peanubutter

peanubutter

Age : 60
Location : Cheyenne, WY
Registration date : 2019-01-20

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 pm

A bit of ignorance on my part. Can someone explain the parfait as it relates to pipes?

Excerpt from the text above by Carlos....I often loaded a parfait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Black XX Rope and other twists Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black XX Rope and other twists   Black XX Rope and other twists EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm

A parfait is the act of layering different blends in the pipe bowl and then smoking it. As one burns down to the other, the profile changes. It can lead to rather nice experiences.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Black XX Rope and other twists
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: