HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello, everyone!
Im a previously occasional pipe-smoker who has recently made the quantum leap to confirmed pipe-smoker as a means of introducing more of a contemplative bend to my day-to-day life, and also as a means of shedding a nasty cigarette habit I picked up in the past few years(something almost impossible not to do in the army). Im quite pleased with myself, as I have just about made the lil devil-sticks a thing of my past. I do believe I may have also won a couple of additional converts to the cause!
A pure-blood yankee hailing from Rochester, NY(the most beautiful city in the world, and trust me, Ive seen most of them); Im a member of the 2nd battalion, 5th Field Artillery Regiment, stationed at Fort Sill, OK; the oldest unit of any kind in the history of the U.S. Military, originating in NYC in 1772 and founded by Alexander Hamilton.

Very happy to join the community, cheers !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

avatar

Age : 52
Location : S.W. Montana
Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm



Welcome aboard !
Your Units history is quite impressive ! proud you should be !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_Haggerty

avatar

Age : 57
Location : Pittsburgh
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 10, 2012 8:01 pm

The transition from cigarettes to pipes can take some willpower, but it's well worth it: a nasty habit becomes a time to enjoy some time to yourself and contemplate the world. Good choice, and there's a good community here to help out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy yourself here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
jefe1037

avatar

Age : 35
Location : West Chicagoland
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 pm


Welcome to BOB!! Good to have another man serving our country on board here.


Not to start a war here (bad pun?),nor do I mean disrespect, but alexander hamilton didnt start his military service until 1775, in fact, he lived in the carribean until late 1772.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 12:39 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland



Age : 29
Location : South Carolina
Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 am

Welcome aboard, William. Cigarettes and the Army? I've heard that before. My former brother-in-law (I'm divorced) was in Afghanistan about three years ago. He called me the day after they'd been hit by a mortar attack at dawn. Something that morning had made him late for his usual morning cigarette, and the first round had landed within 20 meters of the spot where he always smoked.
"Don't tell my wife I told you that," he warned me.
"Right." I said, "We wouldn't want her to worry even more than she does now."
"No, it's not that." he replied, "I don't want her to know I'm smoking again. I told her I quit last Christmas!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 1:03 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Welcome aboard, William. Cigarettes and the Army? I've heard that before. My former brother-in-law (I'm divorced) was in Afghanistan about three years ago. He called me the day after they'd been hit by a mortar attack at dawn. Something that morning had made him late for his usual morning cigarette, and the first round had landed within 20 meters of the spot where he always smoked.
"Don't tell my wife I told you that," he warned me.
"Right." I said, "We wouldn't want her to worry even more than she does now."
"No, it's not that." he replied, "I don't want her to know I'm smoking again. I told her I quit last Christmas!"

Ha! Thats hilarious! I have a few mortar stories from Iraq, and its really odd and almost funny, as they seem to have a knack for landing at the weirdest times and places. I once saw one destroy a cluster of porta-potties on an airfield in Basra. They were all vacant at the time, so it has become one of my fondest memories of that tour Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 pm

jefe1037 wrote:

Welcome to BOB!! Good to have another man serving our country on board here.


Not to start a war here (bad pun?),nor do I mean disrespect, but alexander hamilton didnt start his military service until 1775, in fact, he lived in the carribean until late 1772.


Im sure youre not mistaken. Its either the fact that Im horrible with dates, or that its just what the bosses say, they absolutely love to fluff themselves up;) I know it began in NYC as a coastal artillery battery, and theyve always attributed it to him. The Hamilton family crest is our regimental crest, and they call us "Hamiltons Own". 75 sounds good enough to me Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

avatar

Age : 35
Location : West Chicagoland
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 pm

WilliamtheWorldEater wrote:


Im sure youre not mistaken. Its either the fact that Im horrible with dates, or that its just what the bosses say, they absolutely love to fluff themselves up;) I know it began in NYC as a coastal artillery battery, and theyve always attributed it to him. The Hamilton family crest is our regimental crest, and they call us "Hamiltons Own". 75 sounds good enough to me Wink

He turned down commissions with Henry Knox and Nathanial Greene, but someone made him an offer he couldnt refuse: He was George Washington's number 2. He captured a british gun at the battery in 1775 which led to the Hearts of Oak becoming an artillary Unit and founded the New York Provinical Company of Artillary in 76... i'm sure one of these is the early foundations that became what you know today. Either way, good roots. He was a heck of a patriot, and a good man besides that. He helped elect Thomas Jefferson president, who he disagreed with on nearly every issue, because he thought his party's candidate Aaron Burr was dangerous for the united states.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Fri May 11, 2012 6:18 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
WilliamtheWorldEater wrote:


Im sure youre not mistaken. Its either the fact that Im horrible with dates, or that its just what the bosses say, they absolutely love to fluff themselves up;) I know it began in NYC as a coastal artillery battery, and theyve always attributed it to him. The Hamilton family crest is our regimental crest, and they call us "Hamiltons Own". 75 sounds good enough to me Wink

He turned down commissions with Henry Knox and Nathanial Greene, but someone made him an offer he couldnt refuse: He was George Washington's number 2. He captured a british gun at the battery in 1775 which led to the Hearts of Oak becoming an artillary Unit and founded the New York Provinical Company of Artillary in 76... i'm sure one of these is the early foundations that became what you know today. Either way, good roots. He was a heck of a patriot, and a good man besides that. He helped elect Thomas Jefferson president, who he disagreed with on nearly every issue, because he thought his party's candidate Aaron Burr was dangerous for the united states.

Yeah, they dont make them like him anymore, do they? You'd never see something like that happen these days, on either side of the aisle. Thats awesome, though; I knew he was tight with Washington, but I wasnt aware of his association with Jefferson(my favorite statesman). Hearts of Oak, thats the principal part of our crest, 13 acorns-13 colonies-and 13 being the number of the series identifier of the FA branch, good stuff. Ill try and get a picture of the original crest and our modern version so you can check it out. Theres actually an old crest in our regimental room that(they say Wink ) belonged to the man himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BuckeyeBoy34



Age : 39
Location : Sunny and tropical Akron, Ohio
Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Sat May 12, 2012 1:55 am

Welcome and it has been intresting to read the military history listed above!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

avatar

Age : 67
Location : Poplar Bluff,Mo.
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 am

Welcome William!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
smokinbriar



Age : 47
Location : pennsylvania
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Sun May 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crusader Pipes

avatar

Location : upstate NY
Registration date : 2012-02-17

PostSubject: Welcome !   Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Welcome from a fellow upstate New Yorker !
I've enjoyed the unit history,as I am a reenactor myself. Thank You for your service to our country Sir !
Hope you enjoy yourself on the BoB !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://timbeersscrimshaw.com/
Boulder

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Northern New Jersey
Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 pm


Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brurobas

avatar

Location : Portugal
Registration date : 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Welcome!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brpipes.com
Natch

avatar

Age : 66
Location : foothills of the Ozarks
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 am

Welcome, William. And I've been to Rochester (went to school in Syracuse) and it is a "nice" city, but most beautiful?!? Does your judgement by any chance include a particularly attractive lady from that city? (Which has been known to influence ones perspective!). Laughing

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am

Natch wrote:
Welcome, William. And I've been to Rochester (went to school in Syracuse) and it is a "nice" city, but most beautiful?!? Does your judgement by any chance include a particularly attractive lady from that city? (Which has been known to influence ones perspective!). Laughing

Natch


Highland Park? The Mt. Hope area? But, ahem, yes. My judgement probably is biased a little bit, in that respect. Rochester does seem to produce a finer variety of the fairer sex.... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mm151

avatar

Age : 38
Location : Rota, Spain
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 am

Welcome to the site. I am also active duty, "Navy", and also from the North East "CT".
It's a great site with great folks, enjoy

Pat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

avatar

Age : 69
Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Sun May 20, 2012 6:24 am

Welcome soldier! We have your back and appreciate your service. I too am a New Yorker; both from downstate here in Setauket on Long Island in Suffolk County and also upstate in Granville, Washington County.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Dartmouth Massachusetts
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Mon May 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Welcome to BoB, pull up a chair and a pipe and jump on in. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
john-in-kc



Location : Flyover Country USA
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Uhhhh, Battery D, 1st Battalion, Fifth Field Artillery, the senior unit in the United States Army, is assigned to the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, and currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Fort Sill, OK; Rochester, NY
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery   Wed May 23, 2012 1:18 pm

john-in-kc wrote:
Uhhhh, Battery D, 1st Battalion, Fifth Field Artillery, the senior unit in the United States Army, is assigned to the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, and currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS.

Uhhhh, Battery D has been deactivated for a very long time. 5th FA's 1st Battalion is located at Riley, and the 2nd Battalion, which Im in, and have been in for the past 6 years, is here at Sill. All current batteries are descended from Battery D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Tucking in the 5th Field Artillery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» AN HISTORIC CANADIAN REUNITE
» WWII Royal Canadian Artillery patches
» Coloured Field Service Cap-Artillery Officers
» RCAMC Officers Coloured Field Service Cap
» Royal Canadian Artillery Badge Modified

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: