HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Sun May 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Just read this over on Reuters:

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2012/05/16/saving-the-canon-400mm-f2-8/

Makes me realize why I don't go to matches ! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

I work a few hundred every year, but I've never seen riots like those. Last year my university sponsored a Latino State Championship (the Amigo Cup) and with six minutes to go, we had a goalie with a severely broken leg, an ambulance trying to get through the crowd to the field, a player that had been cold-cocked from behind unconscious on the pitch, both teams on the field pushing, shoving, throwing punches and swearing, four cops and five refs, and I decided to terminate the game with over six minutes to go. I've worked our MexArk league (we have over 100 Latino only teams in Arkansas) and although the shouting and tensions are high, when all is done, it's all friends and smiles. A good friend of mine was chased access the pitch by an irate fan two years ago, and the fan was driving a Ford pickup!

I've also lived in Latin America back in the 60s and 70s, and been to games in Lima, Buenos Aries, Montevideo, and most every major city in Central America, and those games could get a bit dicey. When you put 120,000 fans into a stadium, sell beer, wine, and hard liquor in bottles (back then they did) affraid , well, you can guess what happens when they give a card. I remember Lima's stadium well, totally encircled with a 4 meter high fence with concertina wire all the way up, over 30 military with automatic weapons inside that, and just behind the goal a trap door opens up and both teams and the refs emerge from below. They never got anywhere near the fans.

But when I work a U-8 girls game, all they care about is who's mom brought the treat and what is it. That's when the games are the best. I remember when my daughter (who played all her childhood through high school on classic teams) came crying over to the bench in her first classic game (U-11). My wife ran over, thinking she was hurt, and she said sobbing, "that girl pushed me down and didn't even stop to say she was sorry". I've also worked U-16 classic boys who know every trick in the book and try to get away with everything they can behind your back.

But I do love the "beautiful game".

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Sun May 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Not soccer, but:

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/bountygate-scandal-hits-rugby-under-14-youth-rugby-that-is-video/

You ever wonder where people learn to behave like this and why they think that a riot is the correct reaction to a bad call or a loss at a soccer game?

From their adult role models. Rolling Eyes

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 am

When economies are bad, football (soccer) violence tends to escalate.
See England during the Thatcher years...
The violence usually has little, or nothing, to do with the match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 am

Soccer moms are ferocious beasts. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches   Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Soccer moms are unbelievably hot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Remind me why I don't gow to Soccer matches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: