HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stil wearing my longjohns!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 pm

While a lot of the rest of the country seems like they're in the triple digit range (at least the SW, Texas, and the gulf coast), here in the Pac NW we struggle to get to 70F.

Today for an example, we never got above 60F and lows are going to be in the low 40s. Typical of this time of year.

I normally put on longjohns sometime in Oct and don't take them off until at least Memorial Day weekend. This year is no exception.

Got the central heating on, 2 sweatshits, longjohns.....

58F here right now at 6:15PM.

Brrrrrrr..

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Lucky dog! I love that type of weather! Here, the skeeter's, ticks, cottonmouths, and rattlers are already moving! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 am

LOL, Brewdude,

I know !!! It was flippin cold yesterday and I looked at the forecast for the week ahead, and T,W. and Thurs, are going to freeze at night,, and a high of 47 on one of those days. Mad

Its not so bad shoein horses in the cold, but I sure dont like gettin out to play in it.

and then , a blisterin hot day , of lets say 80 , will come along , and I'll have to light up the forge,, and I feel like Im gonna die Shocked

Its those hot days that make me realize how lucky I am to not be shoein down in Arizona or somethin.

But yeah, I hear ya brother,, this cold weather has got to quit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

It's always interesting what temps people can handle. Originally from BR Louisiana, I've been used to temps between 45 and 110 with full humidity my whole life. I moved to the north in 2007 and found that people think that 80 is a hot day! Laughing

On the flip side, once it gets down into the 30s I'm wearing several layers of clothes and ski gear on my head and hands. If it's windy, this includes ski goggles. I must look hilarious to the folks walking around in sweaters. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 pm

There's a gardener's rule here in Ontario that says not to plant anything until after the end of May. That's been ripped to shreds these last few years. The growing season seems to be at least a month ahead of the accepted norm. Temps were in the 80's today. Thats hot in my book.

I love the spring and fall when the temperatures are passing through the 60 range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 7:08 pm

DustyRoundup wrote:

LOL, Brewdude,

I know !!! It was flippin cold yesterday and I looked at the forecast for the week ahead, and T,W. and Thurs, are going to freeze at night,, and a high of 47 on one of those days. Mad

Its not so bad shoein horses in the cold, but I sure dont like gettin out to play in it.

and then , a blisterin hot day , of lets say 80 , will come along , and I'll have to light up the forge,, and I feel like Im gonna die Shocked

Its those hot days that make me realize how lucky I am to not be shoein down in Arizona or somethin.

But yeah, I hear ya brother,, this cold weather has got to quit.

Come on down to Texas and you can stay warm about 10 mo's out of the year!! Just think, 110 in the shade by the middle of June Razz Most shoer's down here only work from Sun-up to around 10 am and then after 6pm into the night in the summer down here Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Trade the 110 for 90 with 95% humidity in a minute Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I hasten to add that I'm an ex-cheesehead of 30+ years. Been in the Pac NW for about 22 years now.

Back in Wiz-can-sin we ran the thermometer up and down depending on the time of year. Some summers were occasionally over 100 a few days, but the friggin' humidity was the worst part. Even upper 80s with high humidity was killer.

Back then I mostly was employed in a weld shop. Welding in a non air conditioned shop was an experience and they were all like that. Including and especially as we wore heavy coveralls plus leather arm/shoulder chaps.

Winters could get into the -20s for weeks at a time too. Usually got a cold snap in Jan/Feb and it warmed up to a balmy -5 during the day!

Thankfully I'm not in that environment any more. Loved the state and friends there, but could no longer stand the climate.

Now it's just cool and rainy most of the year.

With occasional damaging windstorms, icestorms, earthquakes, floods, and exploding mountains!

Suspect

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Mon May 21, 2012 8:42 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Trade the 110 for 90 with 95% humidity in a minute Very Happy

When I was a kid here in the DFW area, it never got avove 20% humidity. Now that we have more folks and cars we average in the 60% and above humidity level with that 110 degree heat. getting worse every year ! We need more cars Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Stil wearing my longjohns!   Thu May 24, 2012 10:24 pm

As a native Eastener I kinda like it cold and, in Winter, go out each morning to shovel the white stuff off the steps and cars in my LL Bean PJ bottoms with a trout fly design, LLB duck boots and a t-shirt. Bracing! The missus says I'm showing off. No, I'm showing off when I finish the job and then head out for my two-mile jog with the faithful hound.

OTOH, I'm among those who consider 80 h o t. My dr a few years back hypothesized that my Irish ancestry produced deep veins (hence the problem in finding one) that are ideal for conserving body heat, not dissipating it.

By the way, did you hear the one about the Maine farmer who took his spring bath and found the long johns and gloves he'd lost back sometime around Christmas. Ayuh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stil wearing my longjohns!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: