HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Soda. That's right - Soda.

I drink way too many of these per day/week and need to kick the habit. It's a combination of things really. The caffeine, extra sugars, carbonated liquids, pH, added calorie intake, etc. For some time now i've been drinking at least 3-4 sodas per day. That's just way too much - and I need to kick this habit.

While I don't have to initially quit completely, I will start cutting back until I reach 1 a day and see how that goes. My goal is to give them up completely, and drink healthier liquids. Recently i've been really getting into Green Tea, and thanks to Chris (Harlock) - Earl Grey.

Here goes nothing! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm

good job, dude!

soda is some nasty stuff. HFCS and who knows what other crud. the sweeteners in the sugar-free stuff are downright scary IMO.

water is your friend!

green tea is your friend!

good luck kicking the habit.

doody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

I truly wish you luck and success! The easiest way I found was I became diabetic Razz I hate to give this a time frame as Kyle HATES that, but I quit cold turkey the day I came home from the doctors with my diet and program in hand 22 years ago. I occasionally have a Coke, but only when I have a hypoglycemic episode as one can will quickly bring my blood sugar up without spiking it. You can do it! That caffine and sugar are just about as addictive as the nic in cigs and you will go through some withdrawal stuff but hang in there you can do it !! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I kicked the soda about 3 years ago after taking a good look at all the extra junk they put in it.I usually drink water or unsweetened ice tea now.Every ounce in a wile Ill have a naturally sweetened soda, but only a couple times a year. One of the immediate beneifts I noticed was falling asleep faster and sleeping better with out all the caffeine, Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm

What is it, like 16 teaspoons of sugar in a can of soda? pale I'd be a lot more worried about that than about my pipe. I've never been a big fan. The stuff wrecks my gut something fierce. Hope you shake it, it's really toxic stuff.

Make big jugs of sun tea using good green tea and drink that instead.

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Good luck! I dropped a good amount of weight when I stopped drinking regular sodas. I've switched to diets, but really what I want is the carbonation (so even the Canada Dry sparkling waters fit the need).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

One word: Beer cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, I wish you luck there Rob.
Quittin addictions sure aint easy. But if youre serious, you'll get her done.

Ive always been a water drinker, seeins how Ive always had good well water at my disposal. So I dont know how soda would affect a guy.
I did however, hit a point where I was putting down "at least" a half a fifth of whiskey "Every" evenin, and about 5 years ago, I quit that.(With a little persuadin Very Happy ) but no matter why , I still was able to quit. So, I know exactly how hard it is to quit an addiction.

I just want to say," Good for you" and "God Speed" in doing so.
Tea is good, and ya know, theres an awful lot of good juices out there nowadays, like cran grape, cran strawberry, cran blueberry,,,you get the point, and some of those juices are actually good for you Very Happy

Good Luck there Mr Rob,,, You can do it !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Not looking foward to the day when I have to kick my coffee habit. I am at about 3 pots a day when home, 2 when I work on cars, and an ungodly amount when I am at the gas station. Soda I kicked easily by replacing with coffee but on occasion I will get a dr pepper,mountain ,or pepsi. Sometimes I get tired of coffee and go for tea. Mostly in the summer I drink alot of sweet ice tea.

The way I look at it it is better that I drink that stuff than what I was on the road to drinking at these levels. that scares me just to think about it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for the support, Brothers. Just had a hot cup of Earl Grey with EMP, and it's a very nice combination.

PD - My family and I love Sun Tea. The first time I made it for my family years ago, the gallon went quick! My daughter loves it too.

Fish - Yup - Canada Dry isn't bad at all. Don't have a weight problem yet (high metabolism), but looking ahead...

Hermit - Oh yeah, gotta have an occasional beer (with BBQ).

Dusty - Gotcha. Drinking more fruit juices also has other health benefits, ones that i'm all for. Plus they taste good!

Cuervo - I also will probably have an occasional soda, but in great moderation.

Monbla - That sucks about the Diabetes. Hopefully I can avoid some of those problems by cutting back now.

Fly - Yes - a lot of nasty Crap in soda that's bad for a body.

Mr. Doody - Luckily the water here isn't bad. Green Tea is already on the menu.

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

The light came on here during a work-related health assessment questionnaire. One question was How much junk food do you eat ? (Examples : fast food, soda pop, &c.).

Only ever drank it at work because it was free in the employees cafeteria.(Nobody gets to carry a lunch into a prison).

Water's better anyhow. So now I drink "better" instead of root beer or coke.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Good for you. I'm in the quick service business, which is a fancy way of saying "fast food". I figured a decade or so ago, if I drank soda every day, I'd be a lot more worse for the wear, so I pretty much gave it up. I'll have one occasionally, but typically if nothing else is available. A little diet Ginger Ale splashed in my VO or Jamesons sometimes fits the bill....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm

DustyRoundup wrote:

I did however, hit a point where I was putting down "at least" a half a fifth of whiskey "Every" evenin, and about 5 years ago, I quit that.(With a little persuadin Very Happy ) but no matter why , I still was able to quit. So, I know exactly how hard it is to quit an addiction.

At my higest point I could drink a 5th of tequila a night and be fully functional, Moonshine maybe a pint or so and still be functional. The point that made me stop was when I got hurt while drinking and went to the hospital and the Dr looked me dead in the eyes and said "son when you remember everything we need to know, can walk straight and not slur when you speak even though you drank as much as you did you have a severe problem. Severe enough that one night when you pass out or whatever you may not wake up"

Thankfully I had good friends at the time that helped me through it.

I did relapse a tiny bit once but the birth of my son snapped me out of that quick and I haven't had much since. I keep a bottle of bourbon for hot toddies when I have a cold, a bottle of rum to slightly spike the wassal or spiced cider I make at christmas for the adults. but other than that I look at them and just remember where I was ,think about where I am and thankful that I could make it here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 9:35 pm

riff raff wrote:
A little diet Ginger Ale splashed in my VO or Jamesons sometimes fits the bill....

I used to drink the bottled Ginger Ale, but one night I found a recipe online to make Ginger Ale at home. It was simple to make and tasted much better than bottled. Probably better for you too, as Ginger has quite a few health benefits.

Cuervo & Dusty - I went through the Jack & Coke / Pizza Delivery phase in my early 20's. Didn't last long, thankfully - after a couple of months I was done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Tue May 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am

My doctor who has no problem with my pipe smoking says that carbonation isn't good fo me so I switched to sugar free Crystal Lite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 am

The other big issue associated with soda drinking, the other big ones having been mentioned already, is that it leeches calcium from the body. I had phase for about 6 months in my early 20s where a co-worker and I took turns buying MT. Dew from the vending machine at work. We were drinking 4 to 6 a day each at work. Not good. Since then, I probably have the equivalent of 2 cans a year.

May you easily break free of the tendrils of carbonated syrup in which you find yourself entangled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 am

I stopped drinking soda/pop years ago, probably longer than BlaBla's been saying "40 years" (but at least he's starting to catch on... Razz Razz Razz )...water is pretty much it. Occasionally espresso, tea, scotch or a beer/cider slip in there, but especially with meals, water only.

Health tip time: the one thing many Americans are forgetting at mealtime isn't greens, it isn't vitamins and minerals, it isn't portions, too much bacon (no such thing)... IT'S WATER. I have read more than half of cases of indigestion are caused by the lack of water consumed during meals. Stomach hurting? Drink water. Have heartburn? Drink water. Gas cramps? Drink water. Then, if that doesn't work, reach for the OTC remedies. For every bite of food, drink a sip of water. You'll slow down, eat less, and give your digestive system what it needs.

Soda doesn't count. Cool

Luckily I don't like sugary shit, so kickin' soda didn't matter too much. Once in a rare while, I'll find that cane sugar-made Mexican Coca-cola in the glass bottle (I guess that's as close as it "used to be" way-back-when) and I'll partake, but it's damn tough for me to even get through a single bottle. Laughing

Good job, Rob. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 10:14 am

Man, I don't ever want to quit drinking Coke. It's my absolute favorite beverage of all time. I would much sooner give up smoking pipe or cigars. I try not to have too much though and will have probably 1 a day as long as I can. It's terrible stuff for you though.

I will say this, I've gone through times when I was doing P90x or Insanity and severely cut my soda intake down during those months of workout. After the initial headaches are gone, water is just SO wonderful. Our bodies crave it like air. I've realized that if I have a huge glass of ice cold water around I'll drink it down every time. It's getting it and getting it cold that stops me from having it more often, so I went out and bought about a 40 oz beer mug that I use for water. I fill it up and keep it around until I've had sometimes 2 of them a day.

It can be done though and everybody I've heard that's given soda up has been happier for it.

Good luck!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 am

Ooooh! There it is again Rolling Eyes THAT number! "...40 oz.", "...40 years", in just 7 more years Kyle will be 40 YEARS OLD and he'll feel better ! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 am

Buy.
A.
Juicer.

Seriously. Yeah, its some money to lay out, and yeah the fruits and veggies to put through it will probably cost more (in the short run) than Coke or Pepsi, but it really helps when you need that "caffeine boost." For me, when I've needed an after work pick me up, one juiced apple with one juiced carrot added to a glass of iced green tea is about the best thing goin'. It's better than bottled/concentrate, kills the urge for artificially sweetened drinks, and helps round out your daily intake of fruits/veggies.

Either way...good luck, man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Wed May 30, 2012 11:18 am

Juicers are awesome, but by the time I'm thinking I'm going to juice stuff, I just eat whatever I'm gonna juice. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Thu May 31, 2012 6:57 am

Juicing is good. However, carrots have to be in the background for me. In my early teens my mom went on carrot juice kick, was drinking a glass a day (fine if all the carrots are sweet - one that's bitter and I was choking it down), anyway, after a little while the soles of your feet turn orange. When it comes to juicing I think you should stick largely to fruits and to a minimum of vegetables. As most veggies provide the greatest nutritional benefits with varying degrees of cooking.

That said, in response to Kyle, it is important when drinking liquids with food to not have too much as diluting the stomach acids too much degrades digestion. Just like Kyle says, avoid carbonated beverages during meals, as it affects the stomach lining and the digestion process.

I would add also that if you eat a lot of rice such I do, tea is beneficial (straight, hot, no sugar) as it slows the conversion of the starch to glucose. The benefit being that your blood sugar does not spike.

2 more shekels on the topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Thu May 31, 2012 7:41 am

Right on, Brothers! Juicers are great. I have one but hardly ever use it.

Guess what though, i'm digging it out today to start using it again. Thanks for the reminder you guys. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction   Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 am

One word that will change your life: Drink more water. Well... that's three words... but you get the point. Razz

And good on ya! I was completely off of soda for about 3 years and recently have been treating myself too often. I think it's time to follow your example and kick the habit in the shins!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com

Brothers - i'm breaking my addiction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next